1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota advertising

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malcolmnealmiller, Apr 27, 2005.

1. malcolmnealmiller

malcolmnealmiller New Member

Why does Toyota not advertise the Prius? I am always amazed every time I see Toyota advertise the Echo, the Corolla etc and never say a word about the Prius. Are you observing the same thing? If so, what do you make of it?

2. u4iia

u4iia New Member

I guess it is timing at this point. Why bother if you are turning a nice profit and moving inventory on a good product. I think it almost sells it itself with word of mouth alone. Just my two cents.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its tough to advertise a vehicle that they cannot build fast enough to meet current demand. some here have reported now seeing commercials in various areas around the country especially CA where it seems that the waiting lists are done to less than a month.

in this area, the only adds i saw were the super bowl add and it ran for a week or two after the game but nothing since then. my local dealer still has a waiting list that is now shorter... less than 2 months but according to a few ive asked, many are jumping from one dealer to another to reduce their wait times so its tough to judge since many are getting cars elsewhere and not bothering to let them know they are no longer waiting. i guess about a month ago, they actually had to go through nearly 50 people to allocate the 15 cars they had gotten and only a handful passed because it wasnt the color or package they wanted.

as for other hybrids, since ive been sitting here (about an hour) i have been channel surfing and bouncing from one forum to another and have heard 2 HAH commericals.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well.. i live in CA.. i see commercials on TV all the time. I even hear a few on the radio every once and a while. so.. they are there. they are just trying to hit areas where people are very familiar with hybrid. Or.. places that had huge waiting list with a lot of people.. like here. i believe CA is the largest consumer of the prius.

5. yoda

yoda Member

I'm surprised when they DO advertise it.

I love seeing the commercial (I've only seen it maybe twice) - it's fun to see your car getting advertised but.....

Why in the world WOULD Toyota advertise the Prius? Great car - easy sell, but THERE'S A WAITING LIST. They can't build them fast enough to meet the demand. WHY would they want to SPEND money to INCREASE this problem???

Also - I'm not certain that the Prius is a very high-profit car for them. I mean - yea, $26k is a good chunk of money - but let's look at what cars cost and what you're getting in the Prius. I was AMAZED to spend ONLY $26k for my pkg 6 Prius. My previous 2 cars each cost me $32k and they weren't NEARLY as advanced.

Yoda

6. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    why advertise? simple.. they are putting all this money into production to make more prius. If they wait till there is no wait list.. then it's too late.

keep the car fresh on people's minds. Toyota knows advertisement doesn't happen right away.. you reflect and think of a commercial. so.. people hear this and they think.. hey.. look at gas prices.. or.. hey.. i'm thinking of getting a new car sometime soon. for most people, a waiting list is a good thing.

they know what they are doing.

7. yoda

yoda Member

Good point V8Cobrakid

8)

8. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe.. ty wise yoda :) hehe

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I see several Toyota Ads featuring the Prius every day here.

10. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Even here in Maine I see ads for them and wonder, "Why?". Don't misunderstand, I get tickled each time I see them even though the ads are few and far between.

Locally there is a 4 month wait at least.

The car pretty much sells itself and I predict that will increase; the price of gas won't go down, thanks to our legislature and their votes for free trade. Never have the Chinese have such good representation, but I digress... What else is "out there" in it's class? In hybrids, now we have "rocket cars" and SUVs and a shoebox, but only one common sense mid size car with a reasonable payload for the average family, and it's a really good vehicle.

When production begins to catch up to demand it might make sense to advertise. Or if another manufacture pulls its head out of it's patoot and builds a similar vehicle; otherwise it might be just to insure there is no lag in demand as V8cobrakid suggests.

11. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    we should also keep in mind that they are bumping production 1.5x so.. waiting list will go down faster than normal.. er.. potentially they will.

Not sure if they have already started to ship out more prius.. if so.. this would help explain why the commercials.

If people get tied into the prius.. they will have a car that will outlive most cars. it will also be a car that will pass emission test for a long long time.

If toyota sells all the prius they can now.. then the hybrid market will be tied to them for the most part. i know.. more people can buy hybrids. but.. my original idea of the prius out lating most cars. If another car comes out, then it will have to out last the prius. we'll see with time.

so.. yeah.. the more they sell, the better. the longer the lines, the better. value of the car goes up with lines. opinion and word of mouth go up too.. because people are excited to get the car. once it's your car, you tend to talk about it less after a while.