1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Aims for Zero Waste

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by efusco, Jan 22, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070122/lam090.html?.v=73

Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. announced today its Think Green! program, which achieves a high recycling rate and zero waste to landfill at TMS headquarters. Toyota's comprehensive Think Green! program sets an environmental benchmark for the automotive industry.

"Think Green! reduces the impact TMS headquarters has on our environment by creating resources from waste," said Bob Pitts, TMS group vice president of administrative services. "Toyota Motor Sales is committed to its Global Earth Charter and will continue to expand initiatives to protect our environment."

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I remember correctly on the tour we took at the Georgetown plant on Jan 15th 2007 they say they have 0 waste to landfill. They recycle everything there.

3. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There you go Evan, trying to spread Toyota's lies that they are trying to help lessen their impact on the environment and the Prius isn't only for greenwashing. More smoke and mirrors! Will it ever stop?

I think Toyota's commitment to these types of practices is very laudable. I wish all corporations attempted this kind of endeavor.

4. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Will they make it so you can replace minor parts without having to buy an entire assembly? I'm talking for instance, exterior light covers. Can't buy 'em. Have to replace the entire light assembly and throw out the perfectly good existing part just to replace the lens.

5. HSD

HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jan 23 2007, 02:43 AM) [snapback]379402[/snapback]</div>
    This is really old forgotten news.
    I' m stunned how this posted now? I mean, Toyota declared it in 1998... ha ha ha ha! Well Evan maybe you should have waited GM,Ford,Crysler to announce similar project, because to micheals eyes this is pure propaganda! hahahaha

What a guy! Toyota Prius is the best choice for environment. Here in Athens taxi cubs are diesel. 1K euro more expensive to standard gasoline car and 30% more mpg very good reason for buying one, but you breathe your death for sure...

A- Lets add some olive oil.
    B- Dont even think about it!
    A- But its good for health!
    B- Ahh, that mediterranean crap propaganda! Now Eat your McDonald roasted in F-150 V8 valvoline...

Was 1998 the year that USA rejected Kyoto protocol?

6. micheal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HSD @ Jan 23 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]379620[/snapback]</div>
    I really was being facetious about it being propaganda (Hence the--these types of practices are laudable--part of the post). For a little background on why I used the wording I did, search for the thread titled: Smoke and Mirrors. There might even be two of those threads, it has been awhile. I am glad this story has resurfaced, I read about it several years ago, but never could find an online article about it when I tried to reference it.

7. HSD

HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jan 24 2007, 01:50 AM) [snapback]379920[/snapback]</div>
    Oh My Gosh! I m embarrassed for my misunderstanding. Well, see your point of view now... Sorry for my misunderstanding. I had written my previous post without "Smoke and Mirrors" in mind ! I thought that you meant all this prop stuff.

Found this.
    Toyota Georgetown 4/22/2003

REUTERS planetark

8. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jan 22 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]379162[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, I'm not buying that point. After talking to several people that have been in other manufacturing sites for vehicles, anything with paint on it (even metallic type paint) if there's a defect, its scrapped, thrown out, and you can't seperate the metal from the plastic at that point. Toyota may have found someone else to buy it and melt it down into something else that isn't going to depend on that color/strength, but if they can't use it, then that company would send it to the landfill. contracting out someone else to destroy their waste. And those bumper coatings at other places have a 40% scrap rate after talking to an engineer, if there's a physical defect (visible to the eye) its scrap.

I sense a load of sunshine being blown up my butt, and I don't like it. And I like my toyota prius, I just don't buy that line.

P.s. you can't recycle feminine products.

Its like the "every vehicle you see is already sold" line.

They created TMS to buy all the vehicles to sell to the dealerships. TMMK sells the vehicles to TMS, but they aren't sold from there on.... I love how they play with words, and make it seem that they have little to no waste. And I know my opinions are going to catch me flak, but its stupid. They deliberately made it so that they are "sold" off the line, but have no customers buying them right away.....

9. micheal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just to be accurate the article quotes the spokesperson as saying high recycling rate and zero waste landfill. The article even states that those things that can be recycled (i.e. feminine products) are burned to create energy. I would assume this is the same at the Georgetown plant. I have no doubt that at some point something from the manufacturing process does go to the landfill through a third party. Still, having an 80% recycling rate is pretty impressive IMO.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HSD @ Jan 24 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]380352[/snapback]</div>
    No worries HSD! Not a big deal at all. Thanks for the links to the previous stories, very helpful! I have them saved now in case I ever need to find them again. The 1999 article just goes to show that Toyota has been serious about this for a long time and it isn't just starting this now.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 22 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]379157[/snapback]</div>
    What exactly does that mean? They recycle paper, plastic and aluminum? After reading the article it was mcuh ado about nothing. We do the same thing at our businesses too. Who does not recycle?

11. micheal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 27 2007, 02:01 AM) [snapback]381522[/snapback]</div>
    It's called reading the article. 80% of the waste is recycled and the rest is burned to make energy. Does it matter if it is only paper, plastic and aluminum? Even if it is, it can be a massive amount of waste over a long period of time. . I love it how putting little to no waste in a landfill and recycling 80% of your company's waste is "nothing." I sure wish more places around here would do "nothing." A lot of companies and private businesses do not recycle (none of the 3 I am currently with recycle) and few of the businesses around town do either.

So much for your smoke and mirrors idea. Try reading some of the old articles linked by HSD.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jan 26 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]381527[/snapback]</div>
    I would say this is pretty much smoke and mirrors. Did you catch the fines handed out in Japan recently to toyota dumping waste into the water? Very selective reporting maybe there self-awarded "green" label isn't really so green. ;)Must have missed the "green" memo.

http://www.risingsunofnihon.com/2006/12/to...dumping_co.html

13. micheal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Holy crap, your bs is amazing! The article you linked even stated that it was a toyota affiliate and not the main corporation! So a toyota affiliate dumping around 40 gallons of bad water negates everything that the main corporation is trying to do to reduce the impact on the environment? Obviously it needs to be corrected, but I could not find any news stories from searching for it.

1999 Story

Toyota has been trying to become zero waste at it's plants for 8 years. What has GM been doing in this regard? Oh, and do provide some way of substantiating your story.

BTW, you didn't address my point how 80% recycling and zero waste is nothing (They diverted 615 tons of waste from the landfill in the first three quarters of 2006!), but I shouldn't have expected you to I guess. Really pointless to continue the conversation.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jan 26 2007, 11:22 PM) [snapback]381535[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/sustai..._fifty/651.html

http://www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?id=90244&lk=sd02

Maybe you can get Toyota to send you their press releases directly, so you can stand up and cheer for them at home.

15. micheal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Second link was nice to see 0% waste from a GM plant. Guess since zero waste from Toyota is nothing, then 0% waste from GM is nothing. You can't have it both ways. Funny too how the GM story came out 2 days after Toyota's though. It would have been nice to be able to actually read the rest of the article.

If this was so important to GM, why are none of the accolades and good deeds being written about? I have been trying to keep up with this kind of stuff for several years, and this is the first time I have heard about it. Oh yea, it is the media! Down with GM! Hooray for Toyota! :lol:

I shouldn't root for Toyota, they are doing nothing! I should root for GM even though they are doing nothing too. Yea, yea, that's right! Seriously, I am glad for GM and am happy they are doing something. Yet why aren't you calling their efforts smoke and mirrors if they are doing the same things as Toyota?

Don't worry, I know how this ends. So let me cut to the chase and summarize it for you and save everyone some time. Toyota is the evil empire. GM is getting a bad rap. If you buy a Toyota, you are destroying America. Don't fear though, GM is going to top the evil empire one of these days. And everyone lived happily ever after.

Whew, now I feel better.

16. HSD

HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 27 2007, 01:14 AM) [snapback]381532[/snapback]</div>
    Firstly, Toyota is the greenest automaker and malorn you need to try harder to depriciate Toyotas greatest environmental policy...

All these pompous expressions: smoke and mirrors, missed the "green" memo...

I see your point. Toyota dumped waste into the sea on purpose...

The accusation? well

The Toyota T & S official discharged 195 liters of alkaline water from a construction site for a Toyota Motor factory in Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama, into the sea without treating it between June 23 and July 5 this year, JCG officials said.

"The amount of hydrogen ion in the water was far in excess of the legal limit, according to investigators. (Mainichi)"

So malorn, is this all about dropping alkaline water- too much hydrogen ion, according to Japanese legal limits- into sea for two weeks ON PURPOSE?

I think malorn, you should try the next frontier! How about a faulty catalyst in an affiliated fleet car?

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/new...0na017000c.html

Toyota makes good to US. Toyota-way forces US automakers to become enviromentally friendly... Malorn you should be proud of Toyota for sure.

17. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    195 liters of alkaline water into the sea? That's what, roughly 50 gallons. If that's all that someone can dig up on Toyota, then I am impressed. After all, it's not like they dumped a bunch of lead paint into the ground and left the place contaminated for 40 years or anything like another car company I can think of.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/24313.html

Ford Motor Co. dumped lead-based paint in the area in the Ramapo Mountains four decades ago, the report said. The site is in the midst of a Superfund cleanup that has already removed 40 million pounds of paint sludge.

We have known for a long time something was wrong here, we just didn't know what it was, said Myrtle Van Dunk, who lives in the area and hunts. Now we know, but we are concerned about the people outside this area who come here to hunt. They don't know that the small game here is poisoned.