1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota and Lexus Still Hating on Plug-Ins and EVs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Apr 16, 2015.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Lexus Bypassing Plug-In Hybrids, Looking At Fuel Cells, Maybe EVs

“There are too many hurdles, and we’re not sold yet on plug-in hybrids,” said Templin. “There’s a case to be made for them as a sales tool, but not as a way to save the environment.”

Top Toyota executive says electric cars can't replace conventional vehicles long-term - Business Insider

"If you were to charge a car in 12 minutes for a range of 500 km (310 miles), for example, you're probably using up electricity required to power 1,000 houses," Tanaka told a small group of reporters at the first test-drive event for the production version of the Mirai, the world's only mass-market fuel-cell car. "That totally goes against the need to stabilize electricity use on the grid."

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if I'd call it "hate" as much as I'd characterize it as Toyota betting on hydrogen.
    I'm not familiar with Japan's electrical infrastructure, so I can't offer an informed opinion but I'm guessing that the engineers at big "t" aren't a bunch of morons.

They either have a very compelling reason to bet on hydrogen, or they think that they do.
    That seems different to me than "hate."

3. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, Japan heavily relies on oil imports, and with that "little incident" at the Fukushima nuclear plant, it's not too surprising that they're a little skeptical of plug-in electrical vehicles and want a "fuel" that they could develop locally.

It will be interesting to see if fuel cell cars pan out like they're hoping, or if it's going to essentially crash and burn as plug-in vehicle technology improves and drops in costs.

mertechperformance likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting they say adding weight to the car (for Li Batts) reduces MPG if you do not plug-in. Some here are not ready to agree with that re: PiP.

Plug-In hybrids (vs. EV's) are not really getting as good state incentives places like GA and NJ I believe only give benefit to full EV, and the Federal incentive rewards massive batt size. When Plug_in hybrids lose the CA green HOV stickers, later this year, I am concerned market falls off. EV is better supported via incentives in US. My concern is most PiP sales have been in CA for HOV...he sort of confirmed that but stopped short of saying what % of PiP sales are just in CA.

Sounds like they are still over negative when he says charging up car takes power from 1000 houses, but it is a valid point the EV takes a whole lot of electrons I think we tend to brush over that.

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't help but like a guy who quotes 'back to the future', no matter his opinions.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Lexus dude said ...
    Most PHVers don't plugin, they just get a low range PHV for carpool stickers, run it as normal hybrid.

If true, then low range PHVs are BS.

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well from your link Mr. Tanaka is one of Toyota's designated anti plug-in fantasy guys.
    To which you say. hmm. Toyota's big push for hydrogen is based on it coming from renewable electricity and renewable methane. On a 50%-50% mix of these two, if a hydrogen car got 70 miles/kg h2 epa (better than anyone has today), and it took 30 kwh to make 0.5 kg of hydrogen, a 101 mpge plug-in (tesla model S 70d epa estimates) could go 90 miles. So without even counting the renewable methane, only the electricity, a plug-in goes further. If you are going to claim fuel cell vehicles are using a majority of renewables, then plug-ins can go further on the same power. That tesla only needs 24 kwh to go 70 miles, and you make less than 40% of a kg on that. No one has built a hydrogen vehicle close to the model S, but they still can't touch the efficiency with lesser cars. Plug-ins require much less energy if the energy comes from renewables or electricity.

Now there is part 2, the grid can't handle it. Which again is not true. The grid would need to be upgraded and buffered to provide 12 minute or 5 minute charging. Stanford just developed a fairly inexpensive aluminum ion battery that could buffer these fast rechargers.

But most of it is the poor focus. As if most charging would be done at these quick chargers. If you move most charging to home and work, then only a small percentage of charging needs to be fast. When 20 minutes is too long, phevs filling up at gas stations or using battery swap seems to solve most problems with refueling plug-ins for about 40% of the population. For the other 60%, well we could build more swap stations or super duper faster chargers, hybrids don't get close to 40% of sales, its a problem for the future.

Facts are not welcome at Toyota when it comes to plug-ins.

10. dipper

dipper Senior Member

They must be talking about their own PHVs. Their PHVs is BS. 10 miles of EV that requires ICE warm up.

Talk to any Volt owner about charging. They are hunting for a plug every where they go.

11. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. dipper

dipper Senior Member

This story is partly true. If you look at demographics of the types of people living in those communities for their education and salary, you will probably see a much clearer picture.

In the Bay Area, EV and PHEV are everywhere. There are so many Tesla MS around that people are more interested in the Rav4EV because of rarity.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What the heck is this BS about running around, looking for a spot at Nissan to charge? Even if he does get a spot and plug in, what is he going to do for the next hour(s)? .... Chat it up with the friendly saleman?

Running around looking for a charge is not a sustainable driving habit.

14. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't get it either!
    Same guy, he admits in this episode he does not charge at home because it is more expensive.

2014 Nissan Leaf S owner's vlog #4-Public Charging Stations

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's incorrect, the pip does not start the ice in ev mode.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Ashlem likes this.
  19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PiP doesn't really have an EV mode: You can have range left and start the ICE anytime under the right conditons.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for educating me about the car i've been driving for 3 years. what do you drive?

john1701a, pwp1943 and bwilson4web like this.