1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota and the environment

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by jamarimutt, Nov 12, 2007.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

If you thought that Toyota cares about the environment, read this: http://www.newsweek.com/id/69534

Coming up... a 14 mpg Tundra that earns Toyota $10,000 per truck.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That presumes any of 'em sell.
    Like GM, big truck sales head for the toilet as fuel prices climb. Now that we've passed $100/barrel (never to see the ($80's per barrel again) ... watch how fast big truck sales plummet. Bring on the higher prices. BTW, shouldn't this thread be under, 'other vehicles' ??

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let's extract a few facts from the first paragraph:

-introduced its Prius hybrid car
    Along with Honda, beating every American car manufacturer to high-mileage vehicles.

-siding with Detroit in opposition to tougher new gas-mileage laws
    I certainly hope Detroit's not the ones driving this article because they're guilty also.

The problem with setting an example in one area is that you are constantly held to that pedestal. In the same way that there are many different reasons to buy a Prius, has it occurred to anyone that there might have been many different reasons for Toyota to have built the Prius in the first place. What if it turned out that Toyota doesn't give a crap about the environment and simply wanted to create a niche market for the sole purpose of cornering that market?

4. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone actually think that Toyota - an car manufactor - actually care about the enviroment, they care about their share owners, just like every other big company. Just because they produce a car that is less dirty and more efficent than many of the alternatives does not mean they (or Prius owners) are saving the planet, we are all just killing it less quick. The irony of describing any petrol burning vehicle "green" has not escaped me.....

5. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Nov 12 2007, 06:01 AM) [snapback]538304[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota builds what people want. Unfortunately, we are a small group in the overall Toyota scheme of building vehicles. I love my Prius so I'm happy with that. Others can be happy with a Tundra - it's their choice. Toyota seems to be trying to side with the big 3 to avoid having the trucks grouped with cars. That's my take.

6. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota's job is to sell cars, trucks, or whatever the market wants. If their cars are more "green" or less green, it matters not, as long as the bottom line is met with the least amount of government hassle (CAFE, etc.). Be glad there is a choice, and leave it at that. So many mfrs don't even give you a choice to be "green" or drive a giant 4door road hog truck/SUV.