1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Announces Price Reduction On Prius Hybrid Batteries

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by usbseawolf2000, Sep 24, 2008.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

Toyota/Lexus/Scion Pressroom: Toyota Announces Price Reduction On Prius Hybrid Batteries

Toyota Announces Price Reduction On Prius Hybrid Batteries

With More Than 600,000 Vehicles on the Road,Toyota Also Looking at HV Battery Remanufacturing

For those that needs a replacement out of warranty due to accident or whatever reason, you can get brand new one for $1,863.84 from Bob Bridge Toyota.

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wonder if this means that Toyota renegotiated the wholesale of the materials that they use to make the batteries? Something happened. Interesting.

3. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thats really good news for all those tolls citing the replacement cost/ rates ;)

4. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    $1850 for a discount price for a battery is pretty good. That will bring the used battery prices down even lower(maybe $500). That is really insignificant when you consider that the Prius will never need an alternator, brake jobs, etc.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When was the last time any manufacturer lowered the engine or transmission replacement cost?

Camry automatic transaxle costs $2,357.55 (discounted price), making it $800 more expensive.

HV battery pack is maintenance free so there is no need to change liquid and has 8-10 years / 100,000-150,000 miles warranty. Much longer than engine or transmission warranty. Why are people still concern about the HV battery replacement?

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In every event or presentation that I have been a part of, there is always at least one question about battery life. This is a great article for me to have on hand for people who ask the question.

I think people ask about it since it is different than what they have in their current car.

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Considering that $1,863.84 figure is from before the price mark down if I recall correctly, I wonder if they will be knocking some off soon? Keep in mind that Bob Bridge Toyota is still making a profit off that...so the retail list is probably twice dealer cost.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well there you go, we finally have a definitive cost (or at least cost to the consumer).

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What happened is what every old time manufacturing expert knows....product costs continually, steadily go down with time. (I could babble more on this, but I will restrain myself.) This is true for everyone in the entire supply chain as well as Toyota/Panasonic. This change has been happening for some time, so do not read into the above change a dramatic recent shift.

What does happen is that price does have significant jumps down. Companies keep the price steady until it the price/cost mismatch starts to adversely affect the overall car sales picture. Think of what happens to Prius sales now and in the future if they charge $3000 for a $900 battery. It comes back to haunt them if they keep it up for too long. (e.g. Honda coming out with a much less expensive hybrid? A third party supplier takes away most of the Toyota battery resale business, etc.)

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is interesting to see that the Classic battery containing 38 modules, now costs less than the 2G battery containing 28 modules. Hence it appears that the price was set based upon market conditions, not a fixed % markup over product cost.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Patrick,

That was my first thought too. Will they use the same cells in the Classic pack? If they do, it will be a better deal with some DIY work. ;)

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point but note that the 2G ones are stepped up and thus more powerful in the end result than the 1G even though the actual output of the battery is smaller than the 1G (201.6V vs. 273.6V)