1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota App and Long-Term Parking

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Leo, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Leo

Leo Leo

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have the 2024 Prius Prime with the Toyota App. I'm planning to go to Europe for five weeks. In the past I've had my son start my 2017 Prius every two weeks to keep the 12-volt battery charged.
    The 2024 Prius Prime must keep the 12-volt battery charged from the traction battery, and I assume that happens when the car is running.
    Now here's the question: The Toyota App allows me to start the car remotely. I notice that the car stays locked, and the READY icon is not lit until I open the car. But if the car is started, will it charge the 12-volt battery even if the car is locked? I understand I can also turn the car off remotely.
    So is it possible that while in Europe I can turn the car on and later off, to keep the 12-volt battery charged?

2. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To use the app, I believe you need a subscription after the trial period.

I found this on a dealer site. After remote start is activated, it will idle for about 10 minutes before automatically shutting down. There was some mention of pressing the lock button within those 10 minutes to get it to stay on for another 10 minutes, but after 20 minutes it would have to be started manually. I didn’t see anything about using the app to restart it or how often you can remote start it without manually starting it. Might be easier to buy a charger and smart plug.

Just some info I read, no direct experience.

3. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yes you can. And you have a free subscription for 12 mos.

I would suggest you don't do these warm-up starts unless absolutely necessary. I did one of these in the cold and had a rather unpleasant experience next time I went for a full drive.

Engine running very rough after cold night... | PriusChat

If you park the car with a fairly full battery, you should be good for many weeks.

4. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    If you're super worried about the 12v, just get a battery minder/trickle charger. Im pretty sure those are safe to use in the trunk :)

5. Leo

Leo Leo

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I park the car in an underground condominium parking garage. No place to plug in a battery minder.

6. JH26036

JH26036 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    5 weeks isn't that long, especially on a brand new car, enjoy the trip.

Danno5060 likes this.