1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota: As of today, 7 month wait for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Gord, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Gord

Gord New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seven month wait...in Japan. Not sure what that means for you in the UK. No 7 month waits in the US for sure.

3. Gord

Gord New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope it doesn't apply to everywhere else, but to be fair the article was vague and didn't mention if the weight was exclusively for Japan. With the kind of demand that Toyota are getting, I guess it won't be long before the wait times start to creep up, especially with the European launch coming up.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No wait around here our local dealers have some in stock waiting to be bought

5. Gord

Gord New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It says that orders placed from today will have a 7 month wait. I'm assuming that its only Japan... for now, but it might be a sign of things to come for the rest of us.

6. Dolce

Dolce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just because there is a waiting line on pre orders doesn't mean you can't get one today. It is a matter of how much more you are willing to pay over the other customers. A dealer will gladly sell it to the highest paying customer. It is not like there is zero cars coming out of the factory. The supply is there and is growing with the extra overtime Toyota put into the factories. And the longer people wait, the shorter patience they will get and eventually jump over to buy a Honda Insight or other cars, so the demand will also decrease if the wait gets longer.

7. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually in most parts of the country you don't have to pay anymore than anone eles. MSRP will buy a car off the lot. I have three dealers within 25 miles of here that have 6 to 8 unsold ones.

The real wait seems to be for specific requests like the AT and SR options. Considering the markup on those options I'm not sure why Toyota didn't push a lot of them out at first.

8. Dolce

Dolce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah, if people are not too picky with the color and other options, and just want a basic good hybrid. They can drive one off a lot today. I think Toyota under estimated the American public in buying cars with the high markup on non essential options. They probably thought we were bit smarter with our money. guess not :)

9. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In SF Bay area, dealers are offering $350 off MSRP.
    Saw it today on newspapers.

10. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went in last Saturday, choose exactly what I wanted (III Barcelona Red, nothing else), put a deposit. Dealer called me today, should be in 2nd week in July. That's 3-4 week wait.

11. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good grief! At the 4 dealers near me (all within 50 miles), there are 13 available today. You could walk in and buy any of them for MSRP or even a little less, the only adds they have are mats. Why are people here, presumably owners/potential buyers, trying to hype the demand? It's strong in some areas, but a 7 month wait is nonsense. :flypig:

12. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

good grief! the 7 month wait was Japan.

13. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Except the title didn't say that. And all the quotes are from Toyota sources, would you think they might have a reason to promote sales by hyping demand wherever possible?

I am not saying the Prius is not in demand, but it's hard to believe it's really 7 months. People acted like there was huge pent up demand in the US and we read repeatedly about waiting lists here in the 10's of thousands, yet many people here have found and bought a new Prius without any wait whatsover - at the outset when inventory was obviously scarce! I'm not looking for a fight, but I'm just not sure what purpose it serves to hype demand at a site dominated by buyers. YMMV

14. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Smart has had a 12-13 month wait since its launch in 2008. They still have a 10-12 month wait. However, enough owners have cancelled orders that dealers do have cars on lots. But custom orders still wait.

15. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree!! All this talk of shortages just stretches the time before you can buy at < MSRP. :(

1 person likes this.
  16. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I totally agree that the waits are just hype to cling to MSRP as long as possible. If they are coming down on the west coast this week, they'll come down in the rest of the country very soon. A dealer called me yesterday and said 'if I can get the car this weekend, will you buy it?' so there is certainly not a shortage of cars.

1 person likes this.
  17. Zaxcom

Zaxcom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My dealer has 4 just sitting on the lot waiting for a buyer.

18. FL2MI

FL2MI LMT

Model:
    II
    : Toyota: As of today, 7 month wait for Prius

Here in North Florida there seems to be very few Gen IIIs at the dealerships. Maybe one per, and that one is for demo only.

For myself, I refuse to pay over MSRP and, am not crazy about paying full MSRP.

I would hope that many of us will refuse to pay over MSRP!
    I decided I will not. I will wait before that.
    FL2MI;)

19. helenhih2o

helenhih2o Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which dealer might that be ? thanks:confused:

20. web1b

web1b Active Member

Maybe your dealer will make buyers wait for 7 months to purchase them to increase demand.
    Adding an additional markup sticker will do as much.