1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota ate cost on prius repair out of warranty!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by poodlemaster, Mar 13, 2011.

1. poodlemaster

poodlemaster New Member

Just wanted to share my recent experience. i own a prius V with tech package that is great. i had for just over a year but have 44500 miles on it so it's out of bumper to bumper warranty. safety connect stopped working. i was told the small tranceiver was bad and would be 1600 to replace. i called toyota customer service and asked for some assistance. they called me back 3 days later and said they would cover the 1600 despite the car being out of warrant. Not sure if all manufacturers would do the same. i was recently contemplating a volt, but now i will hold out for prius plugin because i am now a loyal customer.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is good to hear that Toyota covered the repair for you. This is my first Toyota and I was wondering if they would have allowances for instances such as yours.

Honda covered a repair out of warranty on my wife's 2007 Honda when a power door actuator failed at 38,000 miles. Much less expensive than your Safety Connect but the same principle.

I never had a US car company provide any coverage outside of warranty on any of the cars I have owned over the years. Even when it was common knowledge that there were problems with certain items such as transmissions, head gaskets, etc.

This is the reason that I now have a Honda and a Toyota in my driveway.

1 person likes this.
  3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good to hear a positive experience on warranties!

Everyone is always eager to share bad experiences and not everyone bothers to share the good ones.

4. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What? Something broke on a Prius that might have cost $1600 out of warranty?

Can't happen, must have been someone's imagination! :p

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It can happen to any car. A person who can't afford one $1600 repair out-of-pocket can't really afford a car, they just have to hope for the best.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...good for Toyota. You could argue the safety connect transceiver is not a part that would be affected by the mileage of the vehicle, and your vehicle being only a year old...it was clearly the right thing to do.

Also, defective Safety Connect systems are not something Toyota wants on the road.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Defective Safety Connect = no yearly revenue for Toyota so it was in their best interest to replace.

8. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Kudos to Toyota and good for you. I'm thinking Toyota may be overly sensitive to safety related repairs, warranty and publicity.

9. archebald23

archebald23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

well you could try the Toyota repair at auto md for more hospitable assistance they can help you out any car problem you have.

10. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's a pretty absurd statement. :focus:

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Richard has this old-fashioned viewpoint that taking on debt to buy a car means you could not afford it.*

:cheer2:

* Occasionally people use debt for a car purchase because their money is making more interest elsewhere, but that is overall not common.

12. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess it's all about opportunity costs. (Econ 101) :D

13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Glad to hear Toyota stepped up to the plate. Many manufacturers will accommodate customers in situations like this (provided the customer makes a request).

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

my experience as a dealer in europe with toyota warranty is that they will really go beyond to cover stuff that they dont really have to... and there is also long standing policy if something breaks out of warranty, toyota will match any parts discount dealer suggests - so if dealer gives you 25% off the work, toyota will add their 25% as well. This is standard and always approved... and for a lot of things they will cover even out of warranty if it is deemed essential.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You guess wrong, because opportunity costs can only be defined as a $ ROI. E.g., 'enjoyment' or "because I want it" is not in the calculus.

16. web1b

web1b Active Member

It's good that they chose to cover it since they probably didn't have to unless it was included in safety equipment that gets longer coverage (like seat belts and air bags), but the $1600 was probably an inflated value of the repair.

17. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I hope I'm that lucky tomorrow with a Cruise Control which has quit working! I'm out of warrantee, only 22 months, but coming up on 43K, so we will see. I may need to call Customer Service as well, depending on what they find. It will not "energize", so will not engage either. It is the standard CC not the radar. Hope it is something simple, but everything else works, and it is not a fuse, sooo...... Got a # for customer service??

18. GreenClipper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well here is is Friday, several days later and a final disposition to my problem. Went to the dealership w/o an apptmt on Monday, didn't work! I could leave it but didn't want to do that. Came back Tuesday morning and they diagnosed it for me. It was the switch on the steering column. Simply quit working. They said they would order the part and told me it would be in tomorrow,(Wed.). No call Wednesday, no call Thursday, till I finally called them mid day. In the mean time I had called Customer Care in California. In the end the best that either Toyota or the dealership would do is a 50/50 split of the charges. I guess I'm suppose to feel good about that, but considering it is a part which never should have gone wrong,......I'm not amused! I think both the dealership & Toyota should have taken care of this, because I've only had the car 22 months! It really isn't the dealers fault, it was a defective part from Toyota motors which just took 43K to manifest it's self. If the miles were still under 36K guess who would have stumped for it! Not me! Will post my thoughts on Toyota on the post I made regards "Lost Cruise Control".

19. web1b

web1b Active Member

Actually, 50/50 is reasonable for out of warranty if it were true. However, the problem with this is that they can make up any cost/value of the repair they want and 50% of an inflated price may actually be no real assistance at all. It could just be a shell game to appease you.
    It's possible that dealerships may also print similar inflated values on warranty or extended warranty invoices to make the warranty coverage or extended warranty service contract appear to be much more valuable than it really is.
    "Wow! It would have cost $6K to replace the nav screen if it were out of warranty. Guess, I better get the extended warranty then!"

20. GreenClipper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Web1b, you are exactly right in your assessment. I have a meaningless bill statement, in that it only reflects my costs of the repairs, not the total costs divided by 50%. If I want to get imaginative, it looks like I ended up paying for the part, + a small amount of the labor, + some shop charges, and tax, but WHO KNOWS? All this is speculation by me. I'm glad my Pri. is as "unsophisticated" as it is! No Radar Cruise, no navigation, no solar panel roof. I think I would have bought an extended warrantee if any of those had been on this car that I ordered. As someone quoted about a finance mgr. who was trying to sell them an extended warrantee: "remember you are buying a computer on 4 wheels"! Hyundia, and Kia are looking more inviting every day!