1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Australia says plug-in hybrids are imminent

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Australia says plug-in hybrids are imminent - Car News | CarsGuide

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'imminent', 'a matter of when', 'not the most practical solution', 'i've never been opposed to them'

certainly sounds like it's full speed ahead :whistle:

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read this over breakfast - they mention 2020 - which starts in 2 months, but could be 14 months. We don't keep to model years like USA.

They also didn't mention which car. I can't see the new 5 seat PRIME - seeing they can't sell PRIUS, priced too high, 6 monthly services where most TOYOTAs are 12 month - and there are never any in showrooms.

I read somewhere that they didn't consider PRIME because of the 4 seat layout - after VOLT was left sitting in showrooms, supposedly because of the 4 seats. I looked at a VOLT - and the $66,000 for a 4 seat car put me off good and quick.

What other PlugIn Hybrids does TOYOTA have?

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a rav4 coming

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh - they can't get enuf Hybrid RAV4s - last I read was still 4-6 month wait from ordering. My local dealer, reasonably large now has a mid-range BLACK (uggh) hybrid and a base model hybrid "test drive today" - but no stock other than those. I did notice that the base model stated that it included "FULL SIZE SPARE".

Being Right Hand Drive (Right as opposed to Wrong??:eek::eek:) - Japan might have some other cars which could suit? Hey - maybe a Corolla Wagon.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A bigger traction battery and plug in would make sense if they want to hold their position in the hybrid and later total EV market. With the Kona being released at $60,000 mark, full EV and over 400km range, fast charging as well as the home trickle charge thrown in, every other manufacturer will be playing catch up or being left behind.
    I love my 2006 PHEV with the 10kWh battery in the spare wheel well. We recharge (top up) each day by plugging into our 7mtr motorhome that has 1.6kW of solar on the roof, 7.6kWh of lithium batteries and a 5kW inverter and trickle charge during the day here at work. Handy having your own business where you have room to park the toys and a business where you work with solar and lithium batteries as a living

T1 Terry

bisco and Data Daedalus like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps they are thinking RAV4 PHV. They might try to ride the sales success of the RAV4 Hybrid.

noonm, Prodigyplace and alanclarkeau like this.
  8. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You’re living the dream...!!!

iPhone 6s +

bisco and alanclarkeau like this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recall when hybrid Camry was imminent in USA....finally settled for Prius some year later. They also said the whole line-up would have hybrid versions, which was true, but we were talking 15 years to get there

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They said 2020. It’s now 2025 as the deadline.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ya gotta live through a lot of nightmares as well, but the good feeling wins out most of the time :lol: My next dream is to convert my VW Kombi to all electric and tow it behind the 7mtr Hino motorhome or our 36ft converted bus if I ever get it finished. The ultimate dream is for that to be a hybrid PHEV as well with 3kW of solar on the roof. Just gotta figure out how to live long enough to complete and them enjoy all my projects :lol:
    The plug in Prius solar recharging has given me the inspiration and faith in myself that it can be done, just gotta do it now.

The other project is to use the 10kWh @ 244vdc in the Prius as a plug in battery pack to power the house while the vehicle is at home and combine that with roof top solar to both recharge the Prius and power the 240vac inverters to power the house as well as the 13.7kWh @ 48v nom. house battery pack. Then we can say good bye to the grid and the parasites that make money from grid tie roof top solar.

T1 Terry

bisco likes this.