1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Authorized Repair Manual

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by genalex, Jun 20, 2005.

1. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Perhaps this topic has come up before. The Repair Manual referenced in the last page of the 2005 Owner's Manual may or may not be worth having. I sprung for one for my 96 Camry and found it to be of little value. This one would be worthwhile if it has such things as options setting in the on board computer, wiring diagrams, user replaceable parts, locations and access, etc.

I'd appreciate any descriptions and evaluations from those who have bought it. Also, what does it cost?

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:0c2e39d06f]I believe you can download sections as PDFs, so you don't have to buy a big book. DanMan32 has downloaded most, if not all, of the manual and may be able to provide more specific details.[/font:0c2e39d06f]

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The manuals are very comprehensive and expensive. I bought mine on CD early in 2004 and have not seen them available since. A 3 volume set recently sold on eBay for $276.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Spend $10 here: http://techinfo.toyota.com/

Peruse the manuals you're considering and either purchase a subscription and download the manual yourself or just access when interested.

5. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is it possible to download the full Prius manual during a one day $10 subscription to techinfo ?

6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genalex\";p=\"100756)</div>
    It would depend on your connection speed and the amount of time you are prepared to spend at the computer. I have a CD version ('04) and there are several hundred fiiles in numerous directories and subdirectories, none of which are titled and there is no index. The data files themselves, are in PDF format. Also, I doubt the site supports ftp which can download entire directory structures with a single command.

7. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Yes. I did it, but just barely. It was mindnumbing, but I feel good knowing I have so much detailed info on my car. I have cable internet, and it took all day. Someone had written some scripts to autodownload this stuff. You might search around for him. He said he would give a least the download structure to people who had purchased a subscription.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you start your day subscription early in the morning, say 6AM, you effectively get 42 hours. they guarantee at least 24 hour access, and access ends 24 hours from the next nearest midnight.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, I just pulled a bunch of stuff last weekend. The
    methodology was to go at it with the no-security IE
    box they pretty much insist you use to get started,
    but backend that through a unix-based proxy that could log
    everything, take note of the actual URLs and search results
    that passed by, and then bulk-download all the content. Didn't take
    that long, once a few scripts were in place.
    _
    The main thing you need are the HTML indexes. Then it's
    easy to turn those into a bulk download script for the PDFs
    themselves. Then, it's prudent to cross-check *inside* the PDFs for
    buried references to others, and make sure they're all
    there. I believe that the subscription cookie only protects the
    PDFs under the ileaf/ tree, in fact -- I think it's
    possible to construct the indexes without a valid subscription, but
    I haven't really looked into this yet.
    _
    It is very tempting to hang the index material I have out for
    grabs somewhere. This would be a gray area where copyright
    is concerned -- it's arguably just pointers to the data,
    and not giving away the for-sale data itself.
    _
    _H*

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You won't be able to download anything without a subscription, even if you knew the exact virtual path of the file. If you weren't logged on, it will redirect you to the login page. I am not even sure you can access Techinfo files with a separate IE session without logging in on that session.

11. Sid

Sid New Member

Is there some type of book that is in between the full-blown and expensive service manual and the Owner's Manual? Maybe a "Prius for Dummies" or a "Prius: The Missing Manual" type of book?

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure. It's called priuschat. And priusonline, and john1701a's pages, and
    Graham's stuff, and all the yahoogroups. And it's
    all free. And if you ask the right questions, plenty of
    goodies derived *from* the service manuals generally emerge.
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/priu...s-linkfarm.html
    A journey of a thousand ratholes begins with one webpage!
    _H*

13. Sid

Sid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit\";p=\"104617)</div>
    Thanks! :D

14. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genalex\";p=\"100756)</div>
    It's ridiculously simple if you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat. I downloaded the entire service manual in about five minutes. Acrobat has a feature where it will download all the links on a page, convert them to PDF (skipping conversion if the link points to a PDF file) and assemble them into a single document. So all you have to do is 1) log on to the Toyota web site using Acrobat web capture, 2) create a bunch of text files containing the URLs to the PDF documents, and 3) have Acrobat assemble a document from all the URLs in step 2. 2) is simple to do by just viewing the frame source for the document list, and comparing it to the full URL to any one of the PDFs (I had to do this in Internet Explorer). Once you have this list of URLs in a text file, open it in Acrobat, and tell it to download every link on the page and append it to the current document. I downloaded every Prius document on that site in less than an hour, including the nearly 3000 page training document, and I didn't have to reassemble a bunch of little files into one big document.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    gee that is an aweful big "IF" doncha think??

if i can prove that i downloaded the material, are you offering to give it to me in one document?

or even catagorized?

service bulletins
    repair manual
    wiring diagrams
    etc?

16. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Considering that Adobe sells about $1B worth of Acrobat every year, no, it's not an "aweful [sic] big IF". Even if most people don't have the full version at home, they might have it at work, and could download the manuals after work hours or on the weekend. There's also the free 30-day tryout version of Acrobat. They don't state any other limitations other than the 30-day trial period, so this might work for anybody.

Duh, I don't think so. Only the copyright holder has the right to reproduce and distribute.

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    whoa. that has to be one MASSIVE file...

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh well i tried

19. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I may be possible to share the text file on the forum... thats where all the real confusion may be as to the proper organization? Then whoever downloads that text file from Priusenvy will be able to pay thier fee to logon to toyotas site, get adobe and download the nice concise document?

You would think Toyota would also make this less confusing?, Even if Priusenvy would share his list, I imagine it has evolved since he downloaded his files "as it is always evolving" so the list would have to be edited to maintain current links?

I have never tried this with Adobe, but is there anyone else that thinks this is "rediculously simple?"

20. wilco

wilco New Member

Nope, we've been down that road before (about 1 or 2 crashes ago, so the threads may have been lost) The bottom line was that we are not allowed to to post any of it for distribution of any kind.

EDIT: oh, wait, I misunderstood... you mean just sharing the text file that corresponds with the official download links... nevermind.