1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Avalon VSC Lights

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Happs, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Happs

Happs New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have a 2002 Toyota Avalon with a VSC light issue and thought I would ask on here if any Prius owners have had experiences with these lights coming on, what the cause it and how to turn the light off. The VSC and VSC Off lights remain illuminated in my 2002 Avalon with 40k miles after I start the car and do not go off. The check engine light is NOT illuminated and no codes are present when confirming with a code reader.

I went to get the steering column upper bracket recall done today and asked if a zero point calibration was part of the recall service and the advisor said it wasn't. I thought if it was, then perhaps a zero point calibration might turn off the VSC lights. Do you think having a zero point calibration would turn off the light or will I need to take it in and have the VSC system itself checked out?Can an independent Toyota technician specifically diagnose with a specific tool or reader what's causing the light to illuminate?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My GF has a 2001 Avalon. She did not have any issues until after the steering column recall was done. Then the VSC light would come on after starting the car and turning the wheel any amount. Turning the car off would make the light go out again until the car was started and the wheel was turned again.

The problem turned out to be the sensor that was somehow damaged during the steering wheel recall. They first attempted a zero point calibration which did not fix the issue. Everything has been fine after they replaced the sensor.

Some extra info: On the Avalon, the VSC light and VSC off light can come on for reasons unrelated to the actual VSC system. When she first bought the car, the Check Engine light, VSC light, and VSC Off light all came on at once. It turned out to be a loose gas cap. It was explained to me that the VSC system will be turned off whenever there is another fault present and the lights are turned on to warn you that the VSC system is not functioning.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You probably need a Toyota specific code reader because the code(s) set are not readable by a standard OBD2 reader.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There have been problems with the yaw rate sensor in Toys of that era. I believe that jumpering pins 4 and 13 of the DLC to get flash codes will work. See attached. If you try that, post them here and I can look them up.

Attached Files:

• abs2.gif
      abs2.gif
      File size:
      6.4 KB
      Views: