1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota battery production outpaced by car demand

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Eric Nothman, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Eric Nothman

Eric Nothman Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't understand why Toyota doesn't just outsource. They should contact every major battery maker in the world and say "We need more batteries. These are our specifications, and here is our minimum quality assurance requirements. Can you provide us with batteries?"

Toyota should be contacting every major battery supplier in the world right now! Heck, they can charge a $10K "market demand" premium on the Lexus hybrid models. This could be a huge opportunity for Toyota to make some extra cash. They could sell "July delivery, first come, first serve" Prius hybrids for a fixed $40,000 for those that are willing to pay for it. And believe me, there are people out there that are willing to pay for the non-wait list cars.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    because the Prius batteries are very special, to allow another manufacturer make them would possibly lead to a a leaking of technology. Also I doubt just anyone could make them and keep up with the level of quality control Toyota and Panasonic have in place.

The reputation of hybrids rests on these batteries.

5. sola

sola New Member

I agree with the previous poster. Quality has paramount importance here. Toyota simply cannot afford an inferior supplier.

Even a one-time, larger batch of faulty batteries could harm the nimbus of the Prius.

It is better to simply say that we cannot ship as many and then increase the controlled supply slowly.

6. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Definitely, Toyota does not want to repeat GM's mistake with bad batteries and being forced to recall most of their hybrids.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'm being picky here, but Toyota doesn't make the batteries. Matsushita does under their Panasonic name brand.

BTW, the battery production has always been the limiting factor in Prius production, from what I've read.

8. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Don't forget Toyota bought some of Fuji Heavy (ie. Subarau parent company). They will certainly have some battery play in the future.