1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota battery research update

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by spwolf, Nov 18, 2010.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Toyota doesnt talk a lot about their research, and people somehow forget that they are only manufacturer that has capacity to build 1,000,000 hybrid batteries (as of 2011), and only one that even invested in their own mining operation to secure material.

2 people like this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I want the 2012 iQ EV.

[​IMG]

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    +1

Any preliminary estimates on the range?

--

The article says, under #1, a hybrid vehicle in excess of 40km/L using 10-15 Japanese test cycle. 40km/L = 94mpg, but how does their test cycle convert to U.S. EPA mpg ?

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I read 100 miles range for the iQ EV.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

10% better than newest Prius...

7. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks. I just read a similar figure in a news article. It said the current Prius gets 38km/L, so (40/38)51mpg = 53.7mpg. That's 5.2%, but these are just estimates. Thanks for the response.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i believe it is 36km/L for current Prius...

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    With the U.S. dollars being printed on the scale of TRILLIONS (.6 trillion is being scheduled for printing !!!!) Nissan already appears to have cut back on Leaf production for the U.S. ... And why not? Would you sell a hot item in Japan for the equivalent of ≈$47K ... or would you sell to the U.S. for barely $32K or less (as U.S. mints print more and more fake paper money the exchange value continues to drop) ? So how expensive will the PHEV Prius be, as dollar exchange values get hit?

(sigh) great ... ... so ... IOW ... no Toyota EV for the U.S. ... and if/when it EVER gets here from Toyota, the U.S. gets another roller skate. I was really hoping for a 4/5 seater. Aren't there enough iMiev's and smart cars already? I'm gona guess this "no ev for you" decision is partly based on the above comment relating to poor dollar exchange ... again ... thanks for that uncle sam'

:pound:
    The New Atlantis » The Hydrogen Hoax
    so as not to tangent any farther off topic ... no further comment necessary ... but I wish Toyota would spend research dollars better (ok ... covering mouth ... :tape: please don't get me going) .

at least THAT part is good news - so thank you very much for #5.

10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That seems correct. Although, the news release is not saying 40 but in excess of 40. Therefore, I expect the new compact hybrid to get around 55 MPG EPA. This makes sense since Prius is a heavy midsize car and a compact using the same hybrid system should get around 10% better fuel economy.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not think that sentence says what you appear to think it says.
    " in addition to the U.S. market" sound like the US is included, "iQ-based EV will also be introduced in Japan and Europe" confirms this with an 'also' If it was not to be in the US, you would not put an 'also' in that sentence.

Mind you even if you are right and I am wrong, your wish for a non rollerskate EV is still granted, as the RAV4 EV is coming.