1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota C-HR (Coupe High Rider). Reviews start P. 23

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Navigare, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    I just received a personal invitation for a preview of the New Prius 2016. I will try to make as many photo's as possible, Maybe even a video.
    Only "problem" is that I am alone and do not have a team like the Priuschatteam has.
    Any special requests that weren 't answered in the superb report of the Priuschatteam?

Pale Fox, bisco and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I suppose in support of our European members, you can definitely report on any changes you see that are different from what you saw in Las Vegas. So far, we've noted that the European model has the standard rear lower bumper plastic design (the one on the silver and black Prius in Las Vegas), while the "Touring" model that was in Las Vegas had a slightly different design. We've also noted the dual automatic climate control in Frankfurt while the U.S. model had single zone auto. Lastly, the Canadian version in the video posted showed a fixed parcel shelf that lifts up with the hatch rather than the roller tonneau cover and it didn't have blue contrast stitching on the SofTex seats that the U.S. version does)

I suppose you could ask

1. Are any European countries getting the E-Four model?
    2. Are two types of batteries offered or just one?
    3. Is the layout of the rear taillights different because of the rear foglights? (US version, from top to bottom, is Indicator, Brake, Reverse. In the teaser video that TMS released, it looked like the brakelights were right at the very top, in the triangle space)
    4. What information does the HUD include? (I think @civicdriver06 wants to know what information is displayed)
    5. Will Traffic Sign (or Road Sign) Recognition be available in Europe? (I doubt it'll be offered in the U.S.. I don't know if it'll be offered in Japan but Toyota does have the technology and the competition is offering it)
    6. Any differences in suspension tuning? (The U.S. ended up getting the same tuning as Europe for Gen 3 but initially there was a difference in the prototypes)
    7. Any differences in powertrain software configuration? (ECO mode in the U.S. is more aggressive than in Europe for Gen 3)
    8. Any new features (standard or optional) that are offered in Europe that may not be offered in the U.S.? (like extra power outlets or different trim colours or interior colours)

jtv, Pale Fox and cmth like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe contact member 'R-P' to see if he can help?

4. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Good idea and thanks for the questions. it's gonna be a busy day. allthough i asked a friend to come as well.

5. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Well i SAW the new prius . On display a Blue and a red one.

And I like it. Great buildquality, heavy doors. Great chairs, lots of support, nice high res screens with lots of info. Steeringwheel bit too low.
    Great interior, roomy, i could sit behind myself and I am 1.89 'm.

I knew much more than the salesmen, thanks to Priuschat. So no info about the difference between European and US speciale. Sorry.
    The batteries are Nickel, no Lion.

I also SAW the RAV4 hybrid, VERY nice car. A brother of the Landcruiser, i drove in Iceland this summer and liked Very much.

Pale Fox, Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  6. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can add the new Prius has been shown in Italy during a fair, "ECOMONDO", in Rimini, from the 3 to 6 nov. I SAW it.
    Aestetichally, a bit different from photos, it seems clear that underneath a number of baroque-mangas-que adds-on, lays a very clean design, unfortunately gone and not for good.

The blackened pillar is a plastic add, with visible rubber seals, i guess easy to disassemble and re-spray.
    The black fascia over the hatch is in actual fact made of 3 plastic pieces, a big central one and 2 side triangles, easy to disassemble.
    All those black pieces with their confused crossing of lines made an horrible aestethic effect, perhaps a bit less noticiable with a black car. But the joints are not flush so everything is visible. Photos underestimate the effect.

But the worse is the dashboard and tunnel. Unacceptable, ugly and poor. Also the general quality of finishing is totally unadequate in my opinion, except perhaps the seats. Big difference from photos. You'll see by yourself.
    I'm afraid that many, ready to accept the controversial outside styling, will be deterred by the interiors.
    No technical infos were given, but i had the feeling the e-4wd will not be available in Italy too.

FAIL.

cyclopathic likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear you won't be around anymore. all the best in the future!(y)

Netcub likes this.
  8. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No Bisco, is US that have no choice, this is not our EU problem, you'll not get rid of me :)

We have the coming new Auris HSD 2017/2018, the coming Lexus Ct200h 201X, and the C-HR hybrid march 2016 waiting for us .
    So i will enjoy the new HSD4 and TNGA platform just in time for the change of my Auris 2013 :)

bisco likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm just curious, if you're free to share: how did you come to get an invitation?

10. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    There were lots of people. If you were on toyota's mailinglist you got the invitation.
    @Maxwell: Everyone has it's own taste, thats obvious. But i was accompanied with a mate who has driven a lot of cars, among them Prius, MR2, Audi TT and now the Electric Golf GTE. Hé was also Very enthousiastic about the interior.

spwolf and bisco like this.
  11. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Max, I too am really looking forward to the C-HR. TNGA has the potential to make it a great SUV and it is likely to come with AWD. My wife drives an Auris HSD and compared to my Prius interior, it is much better - better material, build and better noise insulation. I am hoping C-HR will be more of all that. We even have a new CHR forum but not much activity there yet Toyota CHR Forum - CHR News and Pictures

Pale Fox likes this.
  12. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Very nice car.
    One remark about the site:

Welcome to the Toyota CHR Owners Club & Toyota CHR Forum, our site is dedicated to the brand new SUV from Honda.

From HONDA?
    And in the gallery a picture of the Honda Vezel?

#12 Navigare, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL, nicely spotted!:cool:

14. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    C-hr looks like a very nice car. Also on TNGA and the same drivetrain as the new Prius, but higher. And I like the higher sitting position. In the spyshots it looks like a big car, RAV4 like.

15. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly. Just after seeing the Prius 4, i jumped in my Auris to go back home and got the immediate comparison: i felt i was in a luxury car (which is not).
    So, for our US friends, let me explain that in EU the price differencial between an Auris HSD and a Prius (you can also refer to the UK prices) is something in the area of 10/12000 $. And the absolute price requested for a Prius4 is for a luxury "D" segment car.

So those finishing and interiors are essentially an outrage for the price requested but likely just in EU, not in USA or Canada were the price is competitve with similar quality cars.
    Then, the gen 3 in EU was too expensive for the segment and the very poor EU sales were made out of passion for the hybrid. But as soon Auris came out with a price cut of 10/12,000$ relative to Prius, a more conventional styling and better interior quality, has been "Success!".

But let's compare with the Prius 3 so to remain in a US argoment: if i do a comparison, my opinion is a step backward for quality and design beauty. But you'll see in person. Which could be a not so important problem on a car that in your country does'nt cost a lot and a line-up that don't give you any alternative to enjoy those mechanical innovations that seems really attractive. As you see, a totally different point for a decision.

Best wishes for your brand new forum! Even if i'm not keen on SUVs, the CHR looks like a promising not too big beast. And if Toyota will be late to redesign Auris, for a couple of year CHR will be the optimal choice due to TNGA e HSD4.

Myself also i've got the feedback of Prius and other (luxury) cars owners and also someone that never heard of such a thing as an hybrid, and i've got all opposite reaction till "a new meaning to the word 'horror'":)
    What to say, let's say is a controversial car for styling and interiors and everyone is better they made their idea in the reality and not by photos...
    In any case, i would be interested on the reception of japanese crowd, if Ken@japan can report.

About it, i found out a jap version with a gray dashboard that, unlike the black one, put in evidence the real styling and the lines of the design. This is an interesting pic comparison i've made for our forum:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#15 Maxwell61, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    cmth and Pale Fox like this.
  16. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Nice comparison indeed. And I Really like the upper one better.
    Softer material, high res screens, way better chairs etc etcetera

cyclopathic likes this.
  17. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, thanks for pointing out, several things need ironing out. I joined as a member there recently and hope to take the hybrid message forward. Just like the European Auris, only a fraction sold will be HSD and there is a good chance that trend will continue with C-HR.

18. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    In Holland it is the oppositie. Almost every Auris is a hybrid.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the new one too, but i do agree, if we had the auras here for 10k less, it would fly off the shelves.

can you post a pic of the auris interior vs gen IV prius?

Maxwell61 likes this.
  20. Netcub

Netcub Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Scion iM