1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota C-HR (Coupe High Rider). Reviews start P. 23

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Navigare, Oct 5, 2015.

1. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TNGA platform doesn't mean the wheelbase is fixed.

Here is a picture of the wheel:
    [​IMG]

Is that 225/50 R18? Not sure about rim size, but it looks like it's not as radical as new Scenic with 195/55 R20 (tall & narrow).

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TNGA is the name of the "development/production" system not the chassis/base itself.

What is Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA)?

To greatly improve core vehicle performance and product appeal, Toyota is implementing TNGA, which is an innovative, integrated development approach for powertrain components and vehicle platforms.

3. Wankel

Wankel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, i was too straight, sorry. When i mean "TNGA", i was too much global. I mean Prius gen 4 is 4.56m long. The information given from toyota europe said the CHR is 4 cms shorter than rav 4, so it is 4.56m long too. It's weird to have same dimensions and modify too much the chassis (wheel base) because using the exact chassis of prius is less expensive i guess. Is that make sens?

4. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota UK confirmed that E-Four is not available for HSD.

Launch date seem to be end of the year but order books might start a few months before.

My prediction for price range is around £21k for 1.2T 2wd to the highest spec HSD at around 27k. Prediction was based on Auris price range currently 18 - 24k and Rav4 23 - 30k with figures rounded down

Merged

Looks fantastic, do you reckon the C-HR would look great with all black alloys? I am also thinking black will be a great color but if I get one, I am thinking pure white might also be good.

Any predictions for performance, I am hoping at least Prius G4 or slightly better?

#164 cmth, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2016
  5. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How can a crossover have more performance than the hatchback Prius G4 with the same powerplant? I wouldn't bet on it.
    More frontal area -> less max mph and worse MPG
    Tires 225 -> more inertia
    Probably more weight...

6. Wankel

Wankel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the C-HR have the same interior space/trunk as gen 4, price would decide for me at the end of this year ^^
    That's why i'm looking for real dimensions of CHR ^^ to see if space interior could be alike or not.

7. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Japanese Toyota site: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457024392.187303.jpg

435 cmx179,5x155,5
    Wheelbase 264cm
    Co2: 90 gr.

Merged

Extra photo's. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457026627.096426.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457026637.020912.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457026680.664447.jpg

Merged

Very nice nosejob. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457027019.358532.jpg

#167 Navigare, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2016
    parkerbol, Tideland Prius and cmth like this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is a bulky rear wiper. Will there be an Eco version without it?:)

9. Wankel

Wankel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Super info Navigare. So i guess toyota europe did a mistake posting that the CHR was 4 cms shorter than a rav4... so i guess it will have a big difference in cabine space and trunk comparing to prius gen 4 :-(

10. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SUVs have always been an option to provide style and limited offroad capabilities... not roomier neither more versatile, I'm affraid...

11. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Thanks.
    The Wheelbase of the Rav4 is 266cm, so the cabinspace is 2cm less.
    The Wheelbase of the P4 is 270cm, but in the C-HR you are sitting more upright.

12. Wankel

Wankel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do we know when the interior will be shown officially? (Trunk space / interior)

13. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Navigare it is official, you are the go-to person and expert for C-HR :)

Do you happen to know whether that roof is all black in color or is it just the borders?

I am with Wankel here that we are missing a lot of info on C-HR interior, we don't even have official photos yet, any idea why? In most past reveals, usually the exterior and interior both get full coverage but for some reason they are keeping the interior under wraps. What are the other major auto shows coming up, perhaps the interior and more specs will be revealed then.

Also one thing I noted, Toyota says C-HR will have a CO2 emission figure of less than 90 g/km but the Toyota Japanese site as Navigare showed, reports 90g CO2 so the only rational explanation is that there will be 17 inch higher profile tyre grades which will be good.

14. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Thanks
    Toyota is bringing the news in small portions, the same way they did with the P4. Everytime they bring something new, People talk about it. People like us....
    I asked Toyota Netherlands and they said "soon" There will be more info.
    But I will continue the search for new info, i have to prove I am the to-go person etc etc...

15. Wankel

Wankel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So Toyota Europe said that the chr is 4cms shorter than a Rav4. They were correct, they talk about Rav4 gen 3 and not the gen 4. So let's hope Toyota engineer didn't forget practical stuff like intérior space and trunk.

CHR.jpg

#175 Wankel, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  16. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Seem to me like you are looking for utility value in the C-HR and I am too. But did you know that the C-HR has a very specific target demographic ? Apparently, the C-HR is for young outgoing singles and couples in the age range 30-40 with no children. I know what you are thinking, that sounds like a ridiculous statement to make right? That is exactly what went through my mind when a Toyota UK guy first said this to me. At the time, it was almost a shock when, having talked about my current Gen 3 Prius and how good it was, this guy went on to say that with the C-HR, they were targeting a different kind of buyer. In this case I was fortunate enough to be in the qualifying age range but being a family with a kid and a previous history of owning Prius somehow seem to disqualify me from getting into that target group for the C-HR. Listen to what this guy is saying at around 04:15 mins into the video.

Now normally, I would not bother with these sort of thing but it is a bit worrying and disappointing when Toyota starts talking about target demographic over and beyond what is necessary. It is one thing to have a target in mind when designing a product but IMO it is unnecessary to train all Toyota reps around the world to boast about it whenever they find an opportunity.

Am I over reacting, what do you think?

#176 cmth, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Sergiospl likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one thing i've learned over the years, people say things they shouldn't. is this factory mantra? maybe some focus group guru told them that if they promoted it in this way, others, outside the demographic would want to be hip too.

cmth and Trollbait like this.
  18. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'd be kind of surprised they would be targeting no kids in europe with that car, considering my impression is europeans tend to go for smaller cars or at least minimalism. I mean Europe still tends to get a lot of smaller cars that we just don't get here. A larger car with no kids seems overkill for most kids although it is an American normal thing.

But yes, I'd just ignore whatever their 'target' market is because it doesn't matter.

cmth likes this.
  19. Wankel

Wankel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes i'm looking utility too because i have 2 little kids ^^. I am considering toyota prius gen 4 since few months but this CHR looks really good and have the new hybrid system. It will be built in europe so the price should be less than a prius coming from japan production lines. I am really disappointed about what the toyota guy said because the Full size C segment have a lot of competitors : Nissan qashqai / kia Niro / Seat Ateca / VW tiguan etc...
    All these competitor target familys in europe, it will be surprising if toyota with CHR is not. I'm waiting specs from interior space and trunk.
    For example, seat ATECA is really optimized, C size segment (4.35m) and interior/trunk space equivalent to gen 4 prius.
    Wait and see.

bisco and cmth like this.
  20. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    It's just marketing talk." Average age of Prius buyers is too high, so we focus on another peer group". They mean "we like to attract another younger group as well". Next to the "normal" hybrid buyers.
    The inner space (Wheelbase) is good enough, only possible problem might be the headroom in the back.

cmth likes this.