1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) Release May Vehicle Sales Results

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Man these sales releases are getting worse and worse; they're so brief. Like they're trying to hide something.

Anyway, 30% of Toyota May sales in Canada are hybrids or PHEVs.

#1 Tideland Prius, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Louis19 and Prashanta like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at least they are holding pretty close in total units, considering all the shortages.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm guessing Toyota is running low on their stockpile of chips. Their part shortage plans were based on the result of the tsunami and Fukushima incident. That was a smaller scale regional one, not global.

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Lol, for sure, thanks for all the details, Toyota. :rolleyes:

The bigger mystery is how ~70% of new vehicle buyers are STILL buying gassers in this time of sky-high gas prices (>$2/litre in Canada...:confused:).

Almost every Toyota model has a hybrid option these days, often with a minimal “premium”, so maybe these customers are not good at math or still don’t trust the tech (?).

The only legit reason I can imagine to explain this would simply be availability these days, as pretty much anything with a HV battery in 2022 comes with a 6+ month wait, while gassers can be had considerably quicker… But that seems like a pretty big concession in the long term with gas prices, unless you are in a bind and need a vehicle ASAP…

But I digress… ;)

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota North America was down 2.7.4% down in may versus 2021, which sounds bad but only genesis gained, and the rest were the same or worse than Toyota. Ford and GM have not reported yet, and Tesla only reports quarterly.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think GM has gone to quarterly reports.
    I wouldn't be surprised if US dealers have a higher premium on the hybrids they do have these days.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it’s pretty much availability. The “I need a car now cause my old one died”.

I get being thrifty and driving until the car dies but that savings is lost if the next vehicle isn’t more efficient than your last or not as efficient as it could be.

I guess there’s probably a chunk of the population that are still leery about hybrids (never mind electrics). Honestly, hybrids are the way to go if you are sceptical lol. They have smaller batteries (cheaper to replace), they come with the same lengthy warranties as EVs (longer if you buy a Toyota - 10 years/240,000km) and they’re cheaper to buy than EVs.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Higher markups is also a good point.

I guess I am lucky in that regard in Ontario, as apparently Toyota does not allow their dealerships to sell new vehicles above MSRP, so new cars are a “great” deal these days, lol.

Also the reason I recently put my name on two waiting lists with my local dealer - for a Prius Prime as well as a RAV4 Prime - with 6-8 and ~18-24 month waiting lists, respectively. I figure I will never get more for my 2014 PiP than now (my car has appreciated considerably in my the last year since I barely drive these days and high-ish mileage is looking more reasonable all the time, plus insane gas prices, and finally the crazy resale market) so I guess it is finally time to pull the trigger if I can win the “available vehicle” lottery, lol.

With any luck, my turn may come up around the time the ‘23’s are available. ;)

Also, if the market stays ridiculous and another year or two, I may have the PP for a year or so (and I don’t drive much anymore with remote work so the value will stay high), and potentially have an opportunity to upgrade to RAV Prime if one becomes available, and sell/trade either at same value or maybe for profit. ;) If the market cools down or the R4P just seems too costly, then I refund my deposit and simply stick with the Prius, and that’s fine with me too.

At least that’s the game plan for now.:cool:(y)

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The high value of my old car is why I decided to get a new one recently.

Sarge likes this.