1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota CEO comments on GM

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Jan 10, 2006.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Earlier Tuesday, it was reported that Hiroshi Okuda, chairman of Toyota Motor Corporation, said in Tokyo that the US government would probably step in to support General Motors if the world's No.1 car maker was forced into bankruptcy.

``GM is a US industry icon,'' Okuda said. ``The US government won't leave it if it tumbles into real difficulty,'' said Okuda. Toyota is expected to overtake GM as the world's biggest car maker this year or next.

``The company is in a tough condition,'' said Okuda, who was speaking as head of the Japan Business Federation.

Okuda said that GM's market share has been falling and that it had been so far unsuccessful in its attempts to sell a financial unit.

He also referred to a lack of appealing new models.

GM lost more than $4 billion in North America in the first nine months of 2005, reflecting its falling market share and the costs of a big restructuring.

The arrogance will catch up to him.

2. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    troll away, malorn

3. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Why do people call it arrogant when someone states unpleasant opinions based on very strong indicators. I cannot fault the conclusions.

4. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The facts of the first sentence invalidate the opinion in the second.

5. slortz

slortz New Member

I give up already! Malorn wins! I'm selling my Prius and putting myself on the pre-order list for two million 2006 Buick Centuries. I'm going to single-handedly save GM just so these posts will stop. :)

6. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I can see where malorn is coming from --

Consider, he is attracted to GM models, so Okuda's statement is obviously wrong. And presumptious to boot; after all, did Okuda speak with malorn first ??

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Century? nono.. you were supposed to order the Eighty-Eight and save Oldsmobile

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No he didn't speak to me first. :angry:
    Seriously, something will be the catalyst for change, maybe these comments will provide just that. When the tide turns for Toyota, and it will, we'll see how smart he is then. ;) After all it was GM and Ford's arrogance 25 years ago which started the mess they are in now. Did his comments come across as arrogant to anyone? Of course you will all defend him as some kind of visionary with the perfect business plan.

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I suppose if you show Okuda's remarks to a person with overt or latent xenophobia, and ask a directed question regarding arrogance, you may get the answer you seek.

For the huge group of westerners that admire many things Japanese, and/or think highly of Toyota company and it's vehicles, and/or are aware that Toyota increased it's US domestic sales 10% while GM dropped over 4% in 2005 alone -- they will have no idea what you talking about.

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Way to take one for the team, slortz. Remember though, with the way that GM is giving away vehicles it may not be that big of a hit.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, I know a certain someone said not to feed the troll but I gotta say this one thing and let everyone know.

So Marlorn, you're saying Toyota's being arrogant and tricking the American public into thinking GM sucks and Toyota has a green image huh?

How's that different when GM JACKED UP the price of the 2002 Cadillac DeVille by Cdn$2,000 and then did their $2,000 cash back" offering which as we all know snowballed into this huge incentive thing that lasted several years. Is GM Canada not fooling the Canadian public into thinking they really got a $2,000 discount? See, if they really were doing this kind of big discount then fine. But you can see they're aren't and they're asking for our sympathy in that they're falling. They brought it upon themselves. Their models are uninspiring and if they continue to think that the American public is dumb and stupid, then that's where they'll fail. Not that they're doing any better in Europe with their uninsipring Opel Vectra. It used to look nice and have a German inspired interior, now the current one is just boxy and ugly. They better not screw up Saab. They sorta did with the rather pathetic 9-7X. I mean, you're not gonna fool anyone with a Saab front cause the rear of the truck screams Trailblazer. They did better with the 9-2X but where's the centre mounted ignition? If BMW can stay true to the MINI brand, Volkswagen to Rolls-Royce, why can't GM do the same to Saab?

This new Impala that they had, this should've been the Impala that they revealed in 2000, not the one that we see on the road with huge round taillights.

So say what you want Malorn, but until GM comes out with a thoroughly modern representation of what American family sedans should be, they're not gonna be gaining any ground. And no, a sports car with suspension from the biblical era won't cut it.

P.S. I just watched Como4's one hour special on the Detroit Auto Show. The fact that the spokesperson tried to be cool was rather disturbing. 26" inch wheels and lots of chrome... sure. If that's American luxury, I'm out of here.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM could secretly import an entire range of Toyota designed and built cars, place GM badges on them and stick them on their lots. They wouldn’t sell as well as the cars on the Toyota lots. Why? Because of GM’s well deserved reputation of not selling quality cars. That is GM’s predicament.

Toyota sells cars people want.
    GM sells cars it wants people to buy.
    That is a big philosophical difference, and it is GM’s arrogance which makes them think they have the correct business doctrine.

The people just aren’t buying that crap any more.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM does have many great models on the road and a couple of great brands, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC(truck). The brands that have been truly hurting over the last couple of years are Buick, Pontiac, and Saturn. There are many great stories at GM today, with quality, mpg and 'gotta have' cars and trucks. As I have said before that news is being drowned out by all of the bad news about GM's financial performance. The comments by the Toyota CEO were a calculated slam at GM, as GM is the biggest threat to Toyota's planned dominance. Unfortunately it will take until the 2nd qtr of this year before you hear about the 'great turnaround' at GM. Ford on the other hand has its hands full. The only real good news on the horizon has been the Ford Fusion.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=TOC

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll agree they have great brands but not so great cars. And first of all, you saying Toyota's planned dominance is a damn lie. No one planned to be dominant. If GM's making it easier for Toyota to be #1, so be it. Toyota doesn't give a damn. It's #1 in Japan and being #1 in the world isn't always a good thing. You have to think about management and communications between all its workers. The bigger the company, the harder it is to keep track of all employees. If you haven't read the news, It's Hyundai. We really don't give s%^@# about GM.

Think about it. Toyota, #2 and all it has is Hino trucks and a tiny car company called Daihatsu (and of course Lexus. Scion doesn't count since its models are exact copies of the Toyota Ist and bB. The tC is US only). GM needs how many brands and how many carbon copies to be #1?

Smoke and mirrors, yeah your thread title was appropriate.. appropriate to what you see. We'll welcome you when you've navigate through safely to the other side.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What do you mean no great cars, no great hybrid cars I agree but no great cars? Loosen up the blinders for a change. Give me your definition of a great car? Does it have to have a Toyota logo on the front of it?

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So Toyota has just stumbled into this competition to be # 1 in the world. Actually the original goal was by 2010, so no this was a clear goal of Toyota's. The groundwork is being laid to keep the spotlight off of GM's turnaround. Do you really think the head of Toyota or GM for that matter says anything to the press without it being completely planned and fully calculated. Yes the Japanese are known for thier spontanaeity and lack of planning.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, you actually responded to me for once. Bravo!

So, you still think the Avalon is based on a GS platform?

What about GM raising the MSRP of the DeVille by Cdn$2,000 and then offereing $2,000 incentives?

I didn't say they stumbled and went "oh oops, we're no. 2." I for one rather them not be no. 1 for the reasons I said before. I'd rather them focus on being even more reliable and having even better built cars than world domination.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They have already stumbled with their quality, it just take 4-5 years for perception to catch up with reality. Jay Leno was at a recent automotive event and joked about the Prius stalling because of its computer glitch and how common that was in hollywood. I know you will say he said it because he has ties to GM and he does have some ties, but for him to say it and have any kind of tractin tells you all you need to know about what is coming for Toyota. Now I am not stating any dire predictions for Toyota, because they are a very strong company. But NO company stays on a roll forever, and companies that expand as fast as they have over the last 10 years eventually hit a wall of some kind. It really is very well documented that their quality has slipped, only one of the top 10 quality plants in North America.

Also take a look at the new Camry. I give them credit for the hybrid, but other than that is that have any cutting edge look or technology? Even Toyota execs admitted at the recent unveiling that sometimes it is ok to be vanilla. Those were some of the same things GM execs were saying in the late 80's and early 90's about some of their 'new' models.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    omg this is soooo funny... gm and malorn deserve each other. both seem totally oblivious to the obvious. both are more than willing to bang their heads against the brick wall of change and market trends rather than admit they are wrong.

people think he is a troll... i think he is very entertaining...

20. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes...Jay Leno, the authority on automotive quality...so Dave Letterman jokes about George Bush going AWOL, or John Kerry giving himself self-inflicted wounds, it must be true. Go to late night television for the "truth".

As far as this issue of Toyota quality, I think some of it came from the fact that Toyota has a very high number of recalls lately. We have an 18 month old Sienna and it's been recalled twice. Once to replace a seat belt assembly cover, and the other to place a piece of tape between the plastic and the metal on the front doors. There had been reports of rocks getting in between the spaces and scratching the paint to the bare metal. My point is that these recalls were minor issues and there was a huge deal made about Toyota's slipping quality!

Look at Consumer Reports and look at the quality ratings. See what percent of Toyotas get "Excellent" or "Above Average" reliability. The answer is 13/18. It would have been 14/18, but the Rav4 is a new model this year so it starts from scratch.

Lexus: 8/9(one new model this year, no rating)

Cadillac: 0/6
    Chevrolet: 0/18
    Buick: 1/5
    Pontiac: 2/7
    GMC: 0/6
    Saturn: 0/5