1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota certified bought @ 25k. Do I need full 30k maintenance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by joeyismydog, Sep 13, 2010.

1. joeyismydog

joeyismydog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my 2008 Toyota Certified Prius at 25k a few months ago. The car is now at 30k. With everything checked out so thoroughly by the Certified program just a few months ago, do I need the standard 30k maintenance? If not, do I just ask for a 5k maintenance?

Thanks.

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Look in your owners manual. do only what it calls for. Don't bother with the dealers say you need.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That might be an optimistic assumption on your part. If you want to be safe, have the 30K mile service (as indicated in the maintenance and warranty booklet) performed.

At the minimum, have the engine oil, oil filter, engine air filter, and cabin air filter replaced.

4. gobux

gobux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's supposed to have a 100 plus point inspection.. What could it need besides an oil change?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, it probably needs the items on the minimum list in my post above.

You won't know whether the 100+ point inspection was performed unless you have a third party reinspect the vehicle or do it yourself. Although the vehicle might look great cosmetically, that does not mean that it necessarily is in great condition mechanically.

This provides advice about how to DIY inspect the car: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ting/74434-diy-visual-inspection-dummies.html

6. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Stick to the minimum Patrick listed. Inspection does not mean replacement.

7. Bob.H

Bob.H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Open the hood and pop out the air filter to see if it looks new, Mine was nasty at 29K miles so I replaced it. Be sure to observe the proper orientation (what side faces up) when you put it back in.

Also pull out the cabin air filter and knock out the junk on the ground. Mine is original and not all that dirty but has small leaves in it every time I check it. I can dio it in a minute, can't believe I saw someone paid 70 bucks for someone to change it.

The Prius will signal you when your oil needs changed with a flashing light on the dash. If that isn't flashing yet then you have not reached 5k miles on it yet. Just to be safe at least look at it on the dipstick to make sure of the level and to see what color it is. If it's dark change it and the filter and reset the reminder.

Bob

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    One job worth doing that is not on the list in the manual is to drain and refill the Type WS ATF in your transaxle. After the first refresh at 30k miles it is good for 60k miles according to lab results analyzing used Automatic Transmission Fluid from a 2004 Prius (mine).

JeffD

9. lrchome

lrchome New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a Toyota Certified 2005 Prius with 12,245 miles. After driving 1400 miles the change oil light came on, I checked the oil; was dirty and changed the oil. I called Toyota and asked if they changed the oil on the certified prius, they said they only check all systems if everything is ok they do nothing. I have not had any problems with the Prius.

10. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I suspect "Toyota Certified" doesn't mean a whole lot more than what other dealers do to a tradein.

My vote is spend the money now to do the service. However, do what's listed in the printed manual, don't just let the dealer do whatever they recommend. The dealer's job is to take your money so there's a chance they'll recommend more services than you actually need.