1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Chooses New President

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TOKYO – Toyota tapped Akio Toyoda, grandson of the Japanese automaker's founder, as president Tuesday, paying homage to its roots at a time when the company faces its first operating loss in 70 years.

The U.S.-educated Toyoda, 52, is the first founding family member to take the helm at Japan's No. 1 automaker in 14 years. He promised a reaffirmation of the company's core principles, such as valuing ideas from the ranks — a management approach called "kaizen" that has made Toyota Motor Corp.'s production methods famous in industry circles around the world.

"Having been born a Toyoda did not happen by choice," he told reporters. "But I want to do my best as Akio Toyoda for what I believe in."

Full Article

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this final decision came a little sooner than expected...but it's been expected.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, like the USA under Obama it is time for Toyota to get on with it and move forward. Only action can result in climbing out of the hole, leave the inaction to GM and Chrysler.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wow! . . . what are the odds that a relative would just happen to be the best person for the job! Dang ~ once again, more proof I was born into the wrong lineage. I hope their family passes on better chromosomes than the senior Prez George Bush did. :rolleyes:

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has always been family run except 14 years ago.

6. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The big news here is not the Toyoda is a relative of the founder but that he is only 52. This is absolutely unheard of in Japanese companies. He is at least 10 years too young for the top job and has leap-frogged over at least two senior executives in line for the the job. It will be interesting to see how he does with the rest of the top management team that have been patiently waiting for their turn at the top.