1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota clarifies - only the next generation Prius and the Lexus Prius will be shown in Detroit

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As a follow-up to my earlier post about Toyota's hybrid timeline, I thought I'd pass along this information. Toyota didn't go as far as to say there is no 3rd new hybrid coming out in 2009, but they have come out and clarified that the only hybrids being shown at the North American International Auto Show will be one for Toyota and one for Lexus. I think it's safe to assume that the one for Toyota will be the next-gen Prius, though my Toyota contacts will not confirm or deny this.

TOYOTA OPEN ROAD BLOG: A Hybrid Clarification

2. Yak18

Yak18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I have to agree with that. Why show off a 5 year old model at the Auto Show?

3. fan-atic

fan-atic New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Let me be the first of many to bring YAK18 up to speed: the original article speculated that an eight-passenger Prius would announced along with the 2010 Standard Prius at the Detroit Auto show next January.

4. Yak18

Yak18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Huh? I thought I said I agreed that there would be the next generation Prius at the show. Although it may also be the 2010 Yaris Hybrid. Honda has the 8 Pax Hybrid coming out. Maybe someone should bring you up to speed.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol you guys are funny.

Danny, that sounds promising. Can't wait for the NAIAS.

6. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lexus Prius= Prius plus added profit.

7. fan-atic

fan-atic New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    8 passenger Prius? Looks real in this picture...

Attached Files:

8. chinoloco93

chinoloco93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    the guy who made that 6 door prius did a hell of a job.

I am sure it was hard to weld and rewire all of that.

9. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny who originally posted that pic, you - See what U started ? (thanks for the info)

10. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thank you for the clarification. It is appreciated.
    Do we have any reason to believe the Toyota will or will not be a Prius? Do we have any reason to believe the Lexus will or will not be a variant of the Prius or IS300 ?

11. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has everyone seen that supposedly new bodystyle Prius in dark blue, you know, the one they keep showing only the side view?

Well....

I WANT ONE of those!!

For some strange reason, I really like that style much better than the current style (which I admit has grown on me).

ZC1

Attached Files:

12. padillde

padillde New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does anyone know how they plan on offering all these new hybrids when they can'tkeepup with battery production for the models they currently have? :confused:

13. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    New battery factories.

14. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Lexus will launch a small Prius-based hybrid hatch at next January’s Detroit motorshow, Autocar has learnt from sources in Japan.

The new model is known internally as SAI but will be renamed before it goes on sale and will be based on the next generation Prius, also being shown for the first time in Detroit. The Lexus though will be a plusher, more comfort orientated model with unique and sleeker styling.

According to company sources it will bear some similarities to Toyota’s Concept X shown at the Geneva motor show last March. Most commentators wrongly believed this heralded the design of the next Prius but our sources indicated that it was really designed to showcase themes for the junior Lexus hybrid.

Autocar - Prius-based Lexus for Detroit

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first "S" better not be Sport... as in some variation of SUV.

16. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

If true, it will be interesting to see if Lexus uses any new technology (if any) on their hybrid. Since Lexus is able to sell cars at a substantial premium over Toyota, does a Lexus hybrid give Toyota a chance to try out very new (and very expensive) hybrid technology without losing money on each car sold and possibly even still making a little profit? For example, similar to the Hybrid-X concept, would the Hybrid Lexus also use carbon fiber to greatly reduce weight? Carbon fiber is apparently still much more expensive than steel - so making a carbon fiber Lexus would give Toyota the chance to both prove out as well as ramp up the technology for possibly future use on a Toyota Hybrid while not losing any money by keeping carbon fiber technology limited to the Lexus brand for the time being.

Continuing with the new technology theme. What about a plug-in hybrid Lexus? Adding a 5 Kw-hr Lithium-tech battery pack to make an 80+mpg PHEV appears to add at least $5000 to the cost of the car, which is likely not an issue for a Lexus buyer.

So is Toyota getting ready to sell a super high-tech carbon fiber 80+mpg Lexus hybrid next year for a little less than $40K?