1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota client relations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just got off the phone with Toyota customer relations with my first call to them. It did not go well.

Sure, I knew the 04/05 Prius had a work around to get the GPS useable while driving but it was not clear what the options would be for the 06. But that isn't the point. Allow me to explain.

The main issues I brought up were two fold:

1. Toyota should not be making decisions for me or anyone else about what is safe or not regarding the functional use of the GPS, etc. For example, my wife and I enjoy driving on long trips. We trade off between being the driver and navigator. Whoever isn't driving operates the GPS navigation system. Using other GPS equipment, we have easily been able to operate the GPS navigation in other cars that way. Clearly, we can not in the Toyota Prius while moving even with the passenger operating the GPS. We should not be treated like children.

2. When I asked to escalate this to someone in their management I was told a supervisor could call me back within 48 hours. My response was "I can not just sit around waiting for you to call me back". It is obvious their time is more important than the customers. I asked what would happen if I missed the call. I was told I could start all over again. This is terrible customer service.

With the amount of interest there has been in this here, there should be a high degree of understanding by Toyota that their so called safety concerns are not mainstream thinking. WE WANT CONTROL OVER OUR CARS. Especially having paid $30,000 for them.

We should not be made to look for ways to bypass their software or hardware limitations. We should not have to cut wires or do dances on our screens to bypass locked out features. We should not need to buy 3rd party solutions. We simply want to be treated like adults and allow us the functionality we paid for. Period.

And the arguement that we knew this limitation prior to purchase does not excuse them from their policy of treating us like we are morons. We know what is safe for a particular set of driving circumstances and if we decide to exercise the use of some functionality we should be able to. All driving has some level of risk to safety. Should radios be banned, for example, just because one could have the volume up so high as to not hear a train coming? You get the idea.

Does anyone know how to escalate this to someone in Toyota who can exercise judgement instead of merely exercising policy?

Thanks for any help as I believe we all would benefit.

Edit:

Toyota Motors has been contacted. See updates further into this thread as they occur.

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car companies, and other manufacturers of items used by consumers, are increasingly cautious regarding opening themselves up to law suits over basically crystal clear issues that should not even be in the pervue of the law.

I'm sure you have heard about the guy who purchased an RV, turned on cruise control and left the drivers seat to go do something in the kitchen or whatever and ran off the road. He sued and WON! Stupid jury for giving him a win and for giving any kind of reward. Stupid judge for even letting the case proceed. It had no legal merit, but it was allowed to proceed and the jury thought that an award was due because it wasn't made clear that cruise control isn't auto pilot. What bothers me is that we all know that no vehicle today has an auto pilot system, nor do I expect it to happen any time in the near future. People need to be responsible for their stupid actions.

Anyway, vehicle companies are excesively careful to include pages of boilerplate warnings about the vehicle, disclosures about driver responisbilities etc. There is enough yellow pigment in the Prius manual to paint a frat boy's Focus, if that isn't proof about how paranoid they are about suits, I'm not sure what is.

The lockout of the nav system while driving is a huge annoyance and a major detraction to that system for many owners. However, Toyota is not going to change that situation for your or anyone else so long as there is an idiot out there that can potentially sue them for allowing the unit to be used while they are driving causing them to not pay attention to the road. I don't agree with it, but that is the reality of how the civil courts operate in our land right now. If you want corporate paranoia to end then you have to fix the civil court system first.

Toyota should have supervisors there to answer issues that need to be escalated. I don't agree with teh 48 hour response time or having to start from scratch if you miss the call. I suppose that is another issue that could be brought up when you get the supervisor.

I did not purchase a Prius with onboard NAV for many reasons. I felt that a better nav system could be purchased for less money from Garmin or another good GPS maker. I wanted flexibility to use the system in many different vehicles and I wanted more comprehensive maps than the Toyota system currently offers.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes I agree with everything you said 360, but unfortunately jeromep is correct. The law suit industry is never going to allow manufacturers to treat us like adults again. They are making to much money from gullible juries handing down ridiculous awards.

Does seem like Toyota could do a lot better with their customer service, or is that customer no-service.

4. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

The tort industry is just a reflection of our culture.
    We are simply not a people willing to take responsibility for our own actions.

5. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I understand everyone's frustration, but am surprised by the following:

In my wife's Acura MDX, you touch the "I agree" screen before use of the Nav, agreeing to use it safely and obey rules of the road, yada yada yada.

In my '06 Prius, I touch the "I agree" screen as well, although it is less verbose about what I'm agreeing to.

If other major manufacturers are confident enough to leave the legality's up to an electronic agreement, I wonder why Toyota is not.

6. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Many have successfully sued in spite of similar such agreements.

7. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just trying to be my own "Mythbuster"!

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

8. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

9. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Yes, that particular one is an urban legend...but consider this. We, here in America, take a lot of this with a grain of salt and know that a lot of it is just "hype". I would suspect people in other cultures, like Japan, think most of this stuff is absolutely true. And enough of it IS true to result in these "rules". I found the bypass in my '05....is the bypass disabled in the '06?

Not taking personal responsibility is endemic in America. What's even worse is that for EVERY action, there must be SOMEONE at fault. Sometimes Sh*t just happens.

10. slortz

slortz New Member

I'm hitting the "I Agree" button that Toyota has gone too far with the Nav lockout. :)
    Unfortunately, it is probably futile to fight it through Toyota and the only recourse will be aftermarket workarounds.
    I just can't imagine Toyota deciding to undo something that was put in place as a safety feature, no matter how lame it may seem to car buyers.
    Only if sales started to drop and that drop could be pinpointed to this issue.
    Or maybe, if like automatic seatbelts, somehow it was determined that the Nav lockout was actually LESS safe than without it.
    That's it! Let's start getting into accidents and filing reports blaming it on the f$%#!ing Nav lockout. :D

11. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the legend sprung up from the frustration with our legal system. I mean, it's not that far fetched.

12. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I've read some positive statements on the merits of having portable aftermarket NAV systems over the integrated NAV.

Maybe sales of the Prius with integrated NAV WILL drop if people find they don't like its behavior.

13. slortz

slortz New Member

My brother is trying to decide between getting a BMW 330 or the Lexus IS350. One of the things that may sway him to the BMW is this very issue with Toyota/Lexus stranglehold on the Nav/DVD/Bluetooth features. Toyota are you listening? <_<

14. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

iDrive vs Touch Screen. I'll take the Toyota/Lexus NAV any day vs non-touch screen models.

15. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it is an urban legend. I think it perfectly illustrates how well Americans take responsibility for their own ignorance or actions. At least the McDonald's coffee suit and its outcome are real.

16. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Toyota should cover themselves by making it the way it is.. but allowing a hacker to crack the thing.

This makes you either be smart enough to crack it yourself, or find your cracks on the internet.

Once a crack is installed, the code change is noted in the internals of the toyota system so if you crash and sue, they can plug your demolished computer into their system and present evidence of their system having been hacked and overridden... not their code, not their fault.

Then, paint the interior and exterior of the car with bright orange and yellow banners saying... hacking the system voids any and all warranties and is completely unsafe and unadvised.

This allows you to do it.. which makes you happy... and it should be enough to get them off the hook.

If you hack the tire system and put on 58 inch mudders, is that toyota's fault when you flip it? If you hack the window glass and put on jet black tint and that causes a crash, is that toyota's fault?

I'm saying that if you hack any of their systems, it's not their fault if it results in an accident... They just need to leave the door open a crack for ya..

17. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I don't disagree that Toyota may have made this (stupid) decision out of fear of the tort system, but this "event" is a well-documented and debunked "urban legend".

(removed duplicate snopes.com link)

Three60Guy -- I'm with you. Let's escalate this and get someone's attention at Toyota.

18. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I'm afraid the "reasonable person" test would apply here as well.
    If you make a system and don't make what a "reasonable person" would consider adequate security, you very well could find yourself liable.
    If you go out of your way to make a system hackable, you're almost certainly going to fail this test.

19. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've read about the McDonald's coffee suit. Sometime ago I read that.

1) The damages were reduced significantly from the millions of dollars it had been, as is the case in many multi-million dollar jury awards.

2) There had been some previous injuries at that McDonalds caused by beverages that were too hot.

I'm not saying I agree with her decision to sue. But in today's press and internet, people only hear, "Woman puts coffee between legs, it spills, she wins millions of dollars." I try to follow up on some of these cases and many times the awards get seriously reduced, but that doesn't make for good headlines.

As you can see by my profession, I hate law suits, but I think that the "crisis" issue is a bit overblown.

Getting back on topic...I read a review in Consumer Reports, I think it was the Subaru Tribeca, and they didn't like the fact you can't access the Navigation system while the car is moving. CR is a very concerned with safety, almost to a fault, and they found that feature annoying.

20. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    An update:

My Prius was purchased in the Midwest Central Region for Toyota Motors. After not having much luck with avenues to explore I decided to merely do a directory search for Toyota in Chicago. This turned up the Regional Headquarters for the Midwest. I was successful in speaking to Mr. Jim McHale, Regional Customer Service Manager for Toyota Motors, Inc.

In that conversation I read to him the original posting in this thread. His reaction was actually quite positive. This was made even more positive with the conversations I had with other people prior to reaching Mr. McHale. I was told in very certain conversation that Toyota does listen to their clients. It was emphasized that this wasn't mere talk but they feel they are able to provide good products from this interaction. Mr. McHale said the same thing to me. In short, my gut was telling me this was no sales type of hype......tell him what he wants to hear. He really understood.

Having said this, I asked him who controls Toyota? The management or the legal department. His response surprised me. He indicated that Toyota's strength is squarely in it's team approach. He understood the implications of my question. For if the corporation is defined by their legal department then all hope would be lost. This was not the case, however.

He indicated to me he was going to run this up the flag pole (my wording). To see what could be done. He requested that I email my posting to him. I did so. He promised to get back to me by Friday. At the lastest Monday.

So, while the doom and gloom views are to just give up, I honestly believe there are people who want to respond to their clients. This certainly would be a good corporate approach and give a competitive edge to the company. I wouldn't have spent the time with him if I had even a clue he was trying to BS me. He sounded really genuine.

I will keep everyone informed of any further updates. I think it is worth the effort. We just need to keep telling Toyota, through ways like this that this is important to us. I thought it was and is the reason I decided to become involved. I hope you agree.

Cheers