1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Comments on Cost Reduction of 4th-gen Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Sep 30, 2015.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For the fourth-generation model announced this time, Toyota could not halve the cost of the third-generation system, said Koji Toyoshima, chief engineer of the company. But the cost of the fourth-generation Prius was reduced with the employment of TNGA (Toyota New Global Architecture), which enables to share parts across a segment.

The reduction of the hybrid system's cost has its limits.

"Toyota started to reduce costs based on the concept of the TNGA, considering not only the hybrid system but also the other components of the vehicle," Toyoshima said. "They cannot be separated."

Toyota Comments on Cost Reduction of 4th-gen Prius - Nikkei Technology Online

john1701a, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good news, another amazing achievement.(y)

3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    does this mean cheaper Prius or more profits to Toyota?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems like the first candid comment out of Toyota regarding the fourth generation.

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Cost is what it costs to construct something. Price is what customers are willing to pay. The difference is profit or loss.

They'll either demand the same or higher prices and take the hit on low volume with high margins or reduce prices and increase volume at the cost of reduced margins. Somewhere in the middle is an optimum for maximizing overall profit. That optimum will vary by location.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I doubt the price will be lowered but the interior material quality should be better. Better rear suspension, more cabin noise reduction, etc.

7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So what is gonna happen if they reduce prices? will it eat into Prius C/Aqua and Corolla sales?

8. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Not to mention TDI sales!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they won't lower the msrp unless it gives them a needed competitive advantage. they will weigh the cost benefit across their entire lineup.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Common parts can lower the cost by buying in larger lots. It will also aid in determining which cars need to be recalled because THE brake pedal or THE airbag is defective. The answer is: All of them.

GM & Chrysler were masters of his game. Just change the badging & the grill so the car could be a Pontiac, a Buick, or an Oldsmobile. Chryslers could be Plymouths or Dodges depending on the model.

When accountants have more influence than engineers it is a sure sign quality is being costed out.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're over reaching. especially trying to link toyota mentality to gm/chrysler.

12. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I agree with both. Accountants seem to lose track of value in their pursuit of low cost but I don't yet see anything to indicate that accountants have more influence here. Stylists might be a different story.

I'd also note that Japanese companies seem to have a better track record of thinking long term than Western companies.

bisco likes this.
  13. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I wonder which Toyota car shares the most parts with the Prius? Maybe the Auris. I keep wishing Toyota made a non-hybrid prius like other manufacturers make non-hybrid versions of their cars. It sounds like the HSD-gen 4 has the same cost as the HSD-gen3. Oh well. There's a limit to how many improvements can be made.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That would drive me 'round the bend, lol.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota reduced size & weight of the hybrid components, while at the same time made them more efficient. Those are improvements needed after cost-reduction is achieved. It sounds like they have successfully achieved them.

That's a big deal, not an "oh well" situation. It's the next step required to further penetrate into the mainstream. Cost alone isn't enough.

dbcassidy likes this.
  16. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Cost Reduction of Prius means hybrid vehicles become more price competitive than conventional gasoline and diesel engine vehicles.

Ken@Japan

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt the MSRP will be lowered. In 2009, they had the Insight to worry about. Honda was about to launch round 2 of the Insight and kept saying it was a "hybrid for everyone". It would be priced lower than the Prius and Toyota had to ensure the Prius was competitive and still able to turn a profit. The US$22,000 for a Prius II ($21,000 for a Prius I) and Cdn$26,500 for a base Prius were a result of staying competitive with the Insight. Once the Insight lost its value (and its evident cost cutting/decontenting measures to get it to the price point), TMS was able to add more standard features to the base car and raise the starting MSRP. Toyota Canada held the price (more or less) and the increases were kept to a minimum. (In fact, they decontented the Technology Package and offered it at a price nearly $2,000 lower than mine in 2012 to make it more attractive and to price it lower than a top Camry Hybrid XLE).

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In 2009 there were to MSRP increases for the Prius then the bottom fell out of the automotive market and the unprecedented happened--Prius selling for invoice. I believe the same thing is going to happen to the Gen4. By the time Toyota gets around to stocking dealers sales are going to be falling.

19. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a reason to prefer a non-hybrid vehicle?
    Maybe, for low mileage per year, then one may choose a Corolla or a Camry.

20. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They'll only be available in black. :rolleyes: