1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota confirms Prius-derived wagon; 2009 Prius to increase in size

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has officially announced that it will add a wagon to the Prius range in 2011. A Toyota source said the automaker was adding the wagon model to capture a bigger share of sales to delivery companies, which can benefit from the Prius' electric-only operation in some city conditions.

Earlier this year we reported that Toyota would debut its lithium-ion batteries in a Prius-derived hybrid wagon in 2011, but the latest report failed to mention what type of batteries Toyota would use in the new wagon.

In addition to the new model, Toyota will also increase the size of the next-generation Prius — scheduled to arrive in 2009 — to comfortably accommodate three adults in the back seat.

According to Automotive News, Toyota is planning to sell 1 million hybrids annually by 2017, a goal that should be aided by the addition of a hybrid-only wagon. Toyota expects to sell 450,000 hybrids this year, lead by its popular Prius which currently accounts for 70% of all Toyota hybrid sales.

Source: leftlanenews

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent!!!

3. jyl

jyl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hope they don't make the Prius too much larger. I'd rather see the same size with better MPG, rather than a Camry-sized "big Prius". Then add a hybrid minivan instead of the station wagon, a lot more useful for commercial users and big families alike.

4. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John L. @ Nov 6 2007, 12:28 AM) [snapback]535356[/snapback]</div>
    X2

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey!! I want a wagon. I kept my Camry wagon so long because Toyota didn't make a wagon the same size as the 90 camry and I loved it, it was the perfect size. Prius was the closest I could find.

A Prius size wagon would have me at the dealers door but unfortunately not for 5 years, that's the earliest I'll replace this car. If it comes out in 2010 then 2012 would be perfect, second edition has the bugs fixed normally.

6. prius2go

prius2go Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Nov 6 2007, 07:44 AM) [snapback]535358[/snapback]</div>
    x3

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Welp, looks like the marketeers are back in charge at Toyota. Sigh...

8. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 6 2007, 03:05 AM) [snapback]535380[/snapback]</div>
    X2 :D

9. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love wagons. My main reason for buying the Prius is that it's wagon-like, and does fit a heck of a lot of cargo for a car of its size. Having a choice between the hatch and a true wagon next time around would be great.

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A wagon would have been a cool form factor but as Brick points out,
    the hatchback is almost a wagon on its own. If the butt end were
    "inflated" just a wee bit more then it would pretty much be about
    as wagon-like as, say, a Matrix except bigger inside.
    But frankly, I'm sick of this back-and-forth rumor mill BS that can't
    make up its bloody mind about wagon, van, NiMH, Li-ion, plug-in,
    size variants, or whatever. How many "official statements" and
    "sneak peeks" that are forgotten in 3 weeks is it going to take
    before enough people get disgusted and tell Toyota [and all the
    makers, for that matter] to crap or get off the pot and make a
    goddamn *decision* already? The marketroids that keep spewing this
    nonsense need to be the first ones up against the wall.
    The Estima gets something like 40+ MPG and has all-wheel drive in
    the form of an extra electric motor in the back. Japan's been
    enjoying them for 4 years or more now. WHY THE FVCK is it not on
    roads EVERYWHERE by now?
    _H*

11. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    So when are we getting a smaller one? The Prius is a large family car - how about something a bit more suitable for a city runaround?

What's a "wagon" is US-speak anyway? An estate?

12. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with Hobbit, the Estima would be perfect here in the US and it's all set to go.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the next Prius is bigger I will not buy one. I do not like driving a larger car. One of the things I love about my Xebra is its small size. I like the station wagon body style for its cargo space, which is why I kept my Civic station wagon as long as I did. Honda had quit making the Civic wagon by the time I would have been ready for a new car. The Prius, with its hatchback, is close enough for me.

I'd like an EV made from a car like my old Civic station wagon. Nothing larger. Smaller would be good.

14. mcsj

mcsj Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 5 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]535339[/snapback]</div>
    How big is needed to "comfortably accomodate 3 adults in the back seat?" Are they talking about 3 sumo flighers?

3 average-size adults sit comfortably in the back seat of my Prius. We don't need bigger cars --- okay, some do, but please create a compact version also. My Prius is big enough for my family.

BTW, sub-compacts like Honda Fit will get bigger next time (Scion xA already became xD), according to reports. Is there really no market for small cars?

15. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Nov 6 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]535434[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I believe that's the same thing, like the Subaru Outback. Four doors and and the interior is continuous with a large trunk/hatchback. Full phrase is "station wagon". What term does Australia use?

Sedan=four doors and external trunk (boot)
    Coupe=two doors and external trunk
    Truck=lorry, but can also include pick-up trucks, which I don't think are commonly seen in Europe.

Bonnet = front hood. There's something different about sidewalks and pavement, but I forget how that goes. You also have a special term for the common white delivery vans I think.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd love a Prius Wagon or a good small hybrid wagon too. My ideal length would be around 158" - like Daniel's Honda Civic Wagon and the current Honda Fit. But a Prius Wagon at the current Prius length of 175" would be great (I would prefer the Wagon version over the current Hatchback).

But I vote NO to increasing the size of the Prius.

This constant increasing of the size of a car while keeping the same nameplate and/or ostensible size category is rediculous and wasteful because it slowly changes people's concept (for the worse) of how big a "compact" or "mid-size" or "large" car should be. We've seen the Honda Civic grow from 139" to 177" and the Honda Accord from 162" to 194", and similar growths in the Toyota Corolla and Camry. Japanese car manufacturers are the worse offenders of this (compare, for example, the relative consistency in size of the BMW 3 series).

If Toyota wants to come out with a larger Prius, they should just call it something else.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Nov 6 2007, 05:46 AM) [snapback]535434[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it's an estate

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcsj @ Nov 6 2007, 08:19 AM) [snapback]535519[/snapback]</div>
    Probably means wider not longer.

In the US maybe. The new Fit is still small. The current Fit in Canada is really really small. I parked next to one and my Prius looked like an Avalon compared to the Fit.

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    IMO, what's REALLY needed is more leg room for tall drivers. They need to add driver seat height adjustments before doing ANYTHING else.

What a bunch of deaf-dumb-and-blind product marketeers.

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 6 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]535576[/snapback]</div>
    Usually, in practice, it means both wider and longer. I think it's the rare instance when a car has only increased in width. (And not that there's anything right about that.)

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Nov 6 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]535568[/snapback]</div>
    Footpath, carriageway, verges (shoulders).

Don't forget the wings (fenders).