1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota coolant issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nhguy78, Dec 9, 2009.

1. nhguy78

nhguy78 whirr...........

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just got back from scheduled maintenance appt at nearest Toyota dealership. I was told that there was some sort of green fluid in my radiator. I know that I have never done any sort of fluid top-offs except for washer fluid RainX (orange or pink). The only way I know that it may have gotten in there was when the last time I had to get radiator flushed/refilled because of an accident that needed coolant service. It was another dealership closer to where I lived at the time. They had problems getting the air bubbles out so they may have filled it up too much. But why would they put green crap in there?

I don't know. Any ideas on what I should do? :(

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A purist would tell you to change it to the official "pink" Toyota fluid. However, there are other fluids that meet the requirements, such as Prestone extended life, which I think is yellow. You could check with the dealer and find out what they put in, or have the fluid changed to be sure. I don't think you would have caused any damage even if the wrong fluid was used, if it was in there for only a few months. Was the other dealer a Toyota dealer?

3. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    have a pressure test done, do it your self its cheaper
    and change out coolent again.. do it your self its cheaper.. also.. its simple on prius, cause its small and the engine block isn't huge

4. nhguy78

nhguy78 whirr...........

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would rather change it just in case. I've been told never to mix coolant types.

Both were Toyota dealerships.

Also, shouldn't someone have noticed sooner that something wasn't right? It seems as if it's their way to do a drain/flush/refill but I don't have $260 to do it right now ... hello Christmas!

I'm sure there are other topics for drain/flush show and tell. right?

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Just a warning to all. I needed some additional Toyota SSL coolant so I went to the closest Toyota dealer parts department. They gave me some "Long Life" (the red one, undiluted). When I objected, they said that I was wrong about the manual stating ONLY SSL in my 2004 Prius and they only use the older long life coolant in their service department. Yet another reason I do not use their service department an go to a dealer that is further from my home.

JeffD

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jeff,

Guess it was too hard for them to read the little decal in the engine compartment that provides engine coolant change info.

Do you think this dealer uses 10W-30 viscosity engine oil? :eek:

7. nhguy78

nhguy78 whirr...........

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I guess I'm gonna have to take photos of the car each time I need service done on it.

Here's another coolant Q for ya. When they take off the caps, it is possible to splash coolant on radiator cover? There are green splashes (obviously green coolant) on the black cover. Makes me wonder if they purposely or mistakenly topped it off with green crap and now asking ME to pay for it.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. The overflow reservoir is behind the radiator and adjacent to the black plastic radiator cover.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it back and tell them to replace it with the correct stuff at their expense. If they balk tell them you'll take it up with Toyota for voiding your warranty.

Do you always check the oil level after a change? They may have been doing that wrong, also.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing simple about a complete coolant change on a Prius or a pressure test on the rad either. Both require expensive tool sets. Complete coolant change and air purge has nothing to do with the size of the engine and everything to do with the relative position of the engine to the radiator.
    Like most modern cars it requires a vacuum evac tool which uses compressed air. Have read many many posts here in the last 2 years of peeps complaining about overheating and gurgling noises in the dash because of improper air evac of the coolant system. The coolant system for the inverter is the same. An air purging PIA.
    This is not a DIY unless the DIY'er is a professional mechanic.

11. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Very interesting. So it sounds like it is not as easy as I have thought it would be to change coolant on a Prius. :rolleyes: I've done numerous coolant changes on several Nissan, Ford, and Toyota vehicles but no experience on a Prius. I'll have to educate myself on this and see how a 'DIY' can manage this in a house garage.:cool:

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. nhguy78

nhguy78 whirr...........

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I took it to the dealership that did the coolant system repairs after collision. They said there was a dye in the coolant. The flushed and refilled with Toyota coolant.

*shrug* sounds hard to believe the put "dye" in it that looks like old school coolant.

14. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a DIy project.. not that hard.. and tools can be expensive depending on what you consider expensive..

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it took you 15 months to respond? glad you're not my attorney!

16. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Remember Biscco, these threads are eternal, so if not timely, then, somewhere down the line somebody will appreciate it. As for coolant changes, anybody can do it, providing, you take your time, know where the bleeder screws are and read all the posts first. No special tools are required! Only a minuscule amount of special knowledge. Obtained on Priuschat.
    :cheer2:

17. Starky

Starky Prius fan

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Amen to that! If you are not qualified and do not have an airlift device, keep your hands to yourself and let a pro take care of it. And don't be surprised if most dealer techs are not Prius qualified...and they are not God, as some people think.

Happy motoring.