1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Crown Sport gets a PHEV version ..... in Japan

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by drash, Feb 16, 2024.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Launches All-New Crown Sport-type PHEV model in Japan | Toyota | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

The Toyota Crown Sport RS gets the RAV4 Prime powertrain in addition to the standard 2.5L hybrid powertrain found in the RAV4 Hybrid. Same 225 kW (302 hp) output as the RAV4 Prime. Article doesn't say exact figures for the battery capacity, but it'll probably be the same as the RAV4 Prime's 18.1 kWh.

ToyotaCrownSport.jpg

Efficiency: "A fully charged battery delivers a BEV-mode driving range of 90 kilometers*2 and a hybrid-mode fuel economy of 20.3km/L*3. With a gasoline tank capacity of 55L, the PHEV boasts a total cruising range of 1,200 kilometers or more*4."

These figures are for the combined WLTC of 56 miles EV range, 47.8 mpg, 749 miles total range. It should run about the same as the RAV4 Prime's EPA of 42 miles (68 km) EV range, 38 mpg, 593 miles total range. This buggy is about 110 mm (4.3 in) longer than the RAV4 Prime, 25 mm (~1 in) wider but 125 mm (4.9 in) lower. No idea on weight but it might be a bit heavier than the RAV4 Prime's 1950.5 kg (4300 lbs) to account for the Crown's noise reduction and better ride. It also has 20" wheels versus the 19" found on the RAV4 Prime XSE. The heavier weight and larger wheels may make it a tossup to counter the sleeker aerodynamic.

ToyotaCrownSportCutaway.jpg

Tideland Prius and john1701a like this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If this comes to the US... It will be my dream car.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I've read the rumor... I hope it becomes true.

While it seems it will eventually come to the US with a plug-in option, we don't know when, and we know nothing about its powertrain.
    2024 Lexus RX 450h+ PHEV is already confirmed to be sold in the US. With it's starting price at $70k. And 24 RAV4 Prime starting at $43k. My guess is that if Crown Sports PHEV eventually makes to here, it will be positioned in between two, maybe starting price in mid $50k. Yeah... It will be my "DREAM" car...without any tax credit.

#4 Salamander_King, Feb 17, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At first, I read it as 20.3L/100km :eek: 4.9 L/100km sounds much better lol

Louis19 and Tideland Prius like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This would be nice. I like the new Crown Estate (Crown Signia). A PHEV of that would be cool too.

7. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New Information on Three New Crown Models | Toyota | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

According to the spreadsheet at the bottom of the article, the Estate type (AKA Crown Signia) is supposed to have HEV and PHEV powertrains.

Sport type Sedan type Estate type
    1 Length 4710 mm 5030 mm 4930 mm
    2 Width 1880 mm 1890 mm 1880 mm
    3 Height 1560 mm 1470 mm 1620 mm
    4 Seating 5 5 5
    5 Powertrain HEV & PHEV HEV & FCEV HEV & PHEV
    6 Scheduled Launch Date Autumn 2023 (HEV) Winter 2023 (PHEV) Autumn 2023 2024
    [/B]

#7 drash, Feb 17, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    Tideland Prius and John321 like this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, the Sport type is bigger than I thought. It's very similar in dimensions to my EV6. (4695mm, 1,880mm and 1,545mm respectively).

The issue is that with the longer hood, it looks like cargo space is smaller.

drash likes this.
  9. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlike your EV6, they have to tuck an engine and motors/inverter under that long hood. Then again Toyota has been increasing the hood length across the board. Look at the RZ 450e, really long hood for just a motor and inverter there as well.

The cargo space looks like it is smaller and I believe the RAV4 Hybrid and Prime will retain the title of best 5 passenger cargo space for Toyota or Lexus electrified rides.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. I guess it is a large engine. Would be nice if they have torquier motors or reduction gears to start reducing the engine size. I wanted larger engines in the Prii for power and torque. As electric motors advance, they should be able to multiple the engine’s power and torque through the motor to help increase performance that way.

What about the Crown Signia? That looks promising (though it’s hard to give up EV so a PHEV would be the way to go for me).

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A FCEV is planned for the true sedan. The hood space can be for the fuel cell system, like the current Mirai.

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For hybrids and PHEVs it's more of case of how much power they can pull from the battery, which on a hybrid or PHEV is small. The motors on the RAV4 Prime actually have more horsepower (174 kW) and torque than those of the bZ4X AWD (160 kW) or FWD (150 kW) but the bZ4X blows the door off of the RAV4 Prime if the RAV4 Prime is driven in EV only. The RAV4 Prime's max battery draw is 94 kW (126 hp) which means it would be a heck of race between the 2nd gen Prius and the RAV4 Prime trying to push its 1950.5 kg (4300 lbs) in EV mode.

The Crown Signia will be close, but.....I'd assume Toyota will sacrifice a lot of space for ride quality and noise reduction, much like they do on their Lexus twins of Toyota models. NX 350h+ is a bigger vehicle than the RAV4 Prime but the RAV4 Prime still has much more cargo space.

CrownSedanFCEVCutaway.jpg

Yup

Picture from:
    Toyota Launches All-New Crown in Japan | Toyota | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website