1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Customer Care, Cares!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by FranklinS, Jun 18, 2013.

1. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After seeing in another thread that Toyota Customer Care responded to a question about the MPG hit of removing wheel covers I figured that they really care. So here is the inquiry to my question about an alternative engine oil. I have not had a response to my last email but I just sent it tonight!

Customer By Web Form (Franklin XXXX)
    I have a supply of whale oil. Can I use this oil for oil changes?
    Response Via Email (James Fewel)
    Dear Mr XXXX,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

I apologize for your concern regarding the oil specification for your 2010 Toyota Prius; I apologize that whale oil cannot be used.

You can go by the text in the Owner's Manual, which shows the correct grade to use.

Per the Toyota Owner's Manual, the recommended oil viscosity is SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters.

Sincerely,

James Fewel

Toyota Customer Experience
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

From
    To
    Dear Mr Fewel,
    Thank you so much for your quick response on the possible use of whale oil in the Prius. I am, however very disappointed that I cannot use whale oil in my Prius at this time but I may just have a solution that can benefit a great number of owners and possibly future owners while helping Toyota at the same time!
    I think it may be an engineering coupe for Toyota to research the potential use of whale oil in the Prius.
    A great many of us Prius owners are very concerned about the environment and the opportunity to link Prius ownership to using a renewable resource (whales) is extremely appealing.

Picture this as a USA nationwide spot for Prius:

The camera focuses on breaching whale in the sunset (aka Pacific Life Insurance) and then pulls back to a wide angle that includes the 4 Prius models while keeping the image of the whale in the background.
    A caring voice over says:
    "Prius now may be powered by by America's renewable resource. Whale oil! Toyota supports the harvest of whales in the U.S.A."
    This is followed by a group of whales tail slapping as applause for support of Toyota Cares.

Another wonderful idea would be to equip the Japanese whale research ships whaling in the Antarctic to run on whale oil! As a Sea Shepard ship tries to interfere with the "research", the crewmen in the whaling ship hold up a huge banner saying, "This Ship Is Powered By Recycled Whale Oil. What Are You Using?" I can just see the look on Captain Paul Watson's face!

If you could pass this to research and marketing I would be very thankful.

Thanks Again!
    Franklin

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    that is a sensitive issue in Japan...

FranklinS likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might already be familiar with this. But the comedian Don Novelo (Best known as SNL's Father Guido Sarducci) wrote letters to politicians and companies over a long span of time, using a fictional alter ego named Lazlo Toth. His letters and many of the responses are collected in a book called " The Lazlo Letters."

I personally found much of the correspondence to be hilarious. Often not because of the outlandish commentary of the fictional "Lazlo Toth" but because of the "serious" responses often brought in reply by companies and politicians.

Your Toyota Customer Service Query would fit right in. It's a bit brave in this day and age. I don't know if we have the innocence of even the 70's anymore. I'd be afraid of writing something that would immediately flag me for governmental investigation or inclusion on lists that it probably is better to not be on.

Unfortunately, I now try to focus my insane ramblings to sites like Prius Chat.

FranklinS and Blu-ray like this.
  4. FranklinS

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The format and approach were indeed copied from the great Lazlo Toth. Kudos for being a fellow aficionado!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have to kill the whale to extract the oil?(n)

FranklinS likes this.
  6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No! You just drill, then cap it off when you're done.

FranklinS likes this.
  7. chengisk

chengisk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I must say, I am totally baffled by this whole thread. I would suggest that mods create a Satire section for threads just like this. Might help those who need a smile break after their spouse takes their Prius on ride for the day and they have to bike their way home. Where do I get this whale oil now? And is it cheaper than Mobil 1?

spiderman and FranklinS like this.
  8. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to know a guy named Franklin and this sounds like something that he would start, but he was a Franklin W.

I think you should try whale oil and let us know how it works. No doubt you have a supply on hand for your lamps?

spiderman and FranklinS like this.
  9. FranklinS

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're welcome, Mr. XXXX.

We wish to express our appreciation for your interest in our products and would like to thank you for taking the time to email us.

Due to the possibility of conflict between developments from within the Toyota organizations and ideas submitted by interested persons, it is our policy not to accept unsolicited suggestions for new products, inventions, patents, testimonials, proposals, marketing or advertising ideas.

Thank you again for thinking of Toyota.

James Fewel

Mr. Fewel, Toyota Customer Experience,
    Thank you so very much for the information! I am glad to see that Toyota is not formally ruling out the idea of using whale power in the future! I would never say a thing about me having the original idea. The business and glory can all go to Toyota!

In anticipation of the future use of whale oil I am thinking of contacting a graphics company that will produce bumper stickers that has an image of a whale but instead of spouting water the whale has an oil derrick on his head and is spouting oil! Underneath will be printed "My Prius Loves Whales. Not A Wasted Natural Resource, Anymore!"

There could also be a plastic printed flat whale tail that could be put sticking out of the gas filler door or hood. As speed would increase the tail would start to flap!
    Would I need to get any of these items licensed?

Sincerely,
    Franklin

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you again for your follow up email. We really appreciate your enthusiasm for your Prius.

However, Toyota does not have a licensing program for the type of use you have proposed.

Although we cannot provide you with legal advice, we wanted to let you know that commercial use of Toyota’s trademarks such as PRIUS on items such as bumper stickers in a manner that is likely to cause consumer confusion as to affiliation with Toyota, is in violation of Toyota’s trademark rights.

In addition, as we advised you, Toyota has a policy not to accept unsolicited ideas. Therefore, we cannot consider your proposal.

Thank you for your understanding.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters.

Sincerely,

James Fewel

Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc

10. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can tell you that your email gave Toyota a laugh or maybe a chuckle. Generally, they are required by their boss to respond. You got their politically correct response. Did you expect something different?

On a separate note, many men call/email the manufactures of feminine hygene products, giving their comments and complaints about the use of feminine hygene pads. You can insert your own joke, however, these men actually use those feminine hygene pads.

Mike

11. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use them for what? Oil leaks? My Prius doesn't have any oil leaks.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd quit now.
    Give James Fewel a break.
    Whether he realizes you are being humorous or not, for him his responses are part of his job. He has to respond legally and responsibly as if your "fictional" query is real and valid. From our POV it may be funny, from his? He's probably getting tired of checking with legal as to how best respond to the mad man who wants to use whale oil in his Prius.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I doubt Franklin's letters were at the top of the Daily Nut Job List. In the top, but not at the top. If he had introduced himself as "Mr. xxxx but you can call me Ishmael..." I'd give him a higher score.

Franklin, your next letter (under a different name) should enquire about the backorder status of your Flux Capacitor and Mr. Fusion upgrade.

I suspect whale oil doesn't have the same viscosity and will break down at operating temperature so it is not a viable long term option. However, in an emergency situation whale oil is better than nothing.

However, whale oil may be able to give WD40 some competition.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

At least he's keeping Jimmy employed.

15. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Personally, I think he's wasting Toyota's time, which, in the long run, comes out of our pocket.

16. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will tell you that a friend of mine uses them to wax his car. Kinda gross, but I guess it works. But men will use them for incontinence.