1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Dealer:~ ball joint leaking grease, requires immediate attention!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusrust, Sep 17, 2022.

1. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, brought 2004 in for basic maintenance. Was told passenger side ball joint was leaking grease and needs to be replaced. (they took pic-attached) He mentioned 'metal on metal' condition.
    My thoughts why I should replace ball joint:
    • this particular dealer seems to be honest from past experience.
    • pic seems to show grease leakage
    • pic seems to show 'metal on metal' dire condition he described (?)
    Thoughts why should not replace:
    • no signs of ball joint problems whatsoever. Steering nice and tight. No play in wheel. No noise.
    • I've heard ball joints rarely issue on prius
    • 'grease 'could have been a shot of WD-40.
    Seeking opinions:
    • does the pic look like a ball joint needing replacement?
    • does it show some dire metal on metal condition?
    • Toyota's cost actually seems fairly reasonable: $300+ per ball joint
    • if it does need replacing -can I replace just one? it is a 2004...
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just judging from the picture, that does not look to be "salted" with something like WD40; looks like a slow seepage that attracted grit/dust.

priusrust likes this.
  3. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So..if it is leaking grease, it needs to be replaced (?) (despite no play in wheel)......also, can i replace just one side, or must it be done in pairs?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Beyond my knowledge level (duffer). :)

priusrust likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Replace individually as needed (no requirement to do both sides etc)

Very common to see right side fail first in any make/model (USA, that's the curb side with more potholes)

$300 isn't unreasonable at a dealer, but a ball joint is generic 70s tech, any neighborhood garage can do that and most of them have lower overhead than a Toyota dealer. Shop around.

I tend to go by noise but the other factor is alignments. Sometimes you just can't align the car, it keeps drifting out minutes later until somebody realizes how sloppy the ball joint is. That can also show up in extra tire wear in very bad cases.

Doesn't look like an emergency to me, but a static photo is only half the picture. The real test is when you lay a prybar across it and pull and wiggle. A good one won't move, a bad one shows play. With yours the seal boot has clearly failed, the grease is out, the joint will go bad on an accelerated timeline now, but you might not be there yet.

Good luck!

priusrust likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No emergency there that's a doing your side yard job with basic hand tools and a hammer but if we're not into that any job shop should do it I wouldn't think they would charge you $300 but that depends on location here where I am in North Carolina I could get somebody to do that for a hundred bucks maybe a buck 50.

priusrust likes this.
  7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It appears to be weeping. As grease ages, the oil separates from the solids and moves past the rubber contact boundry with the metal part of the ball joint's housing. The joint is still lubricated by the remaining solids. That is nornmal with ball joint seals that old. I'd clean the area and monitor it. If it doesn't wiggle when a Channellock plier is applied to it, I wouldn't worry about it and inspect them again at 6 months intervals.

#7 Georgina Rudkus, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    priusrust likes this.
  8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have the joint inspected for looseness maybe once a year. Replace only if there is wear and looseness. Otherwise ignore it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

priusrust likes this.
  9. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MA ~>N.C about $53 gas (for prius )..where in N.C. ? ;)

10. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Appreciate all the feedback! More thoughts:
    • if Toyota wanted to sell me on a replacement, they would have checked it for looseness and mentioned that to help make their case. The fact they didn't (it seems checking for looseness is ball-joint lesson 101), makes me think they did check for looseness and found none- and proceeded solely with grease leak as reason to replace.
    • as mentioned, zero steering wheel play (not always case as I previously had S.W. disconnect from wheels!-that's another story) ,tires wearing normally, no shimmies, no noises..."as far as I know its tip-top" (pulp fiction reference)
    • only concern is the alleged 'metal on metal' . I'm at a disadvantage due to not knowing how a good ball-joint looks. The pic appears to show a slivered wedge of the rubber boot. The point of the wedge (left on screen) seems to converge and it looks to be metal on metal. I'm clearly clueless. Question: does the pic look normal for a good ball-joint? are you only supposed to see that wedged sliver of the rubber? If this looks normal, I'll back burner the whole thing- with frequent inspections for front end looseness.... all that said, I enjoy being nice to the prius.....so extra cash comes my way- and I'll replace. [I thoroughly enjoyed draining the dark molasses trans fluid from my vehicle-and replacing with translucent ruby red fluid after 13 years of its life....]

11. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The oil in the grease has separated and is weeping out. The solids of the grease is still lubricating the joint and preventing metal to metal contact.

The metal that you see is not the wear surfaces or working contact surfaces of the ball joint. You will not see the contacting surfaces exposed.

priusrust likes this.
  12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There's nothing in the photo to support this. In fact there's no reasonable way to take a picture to support that claim.

I'd write it off to dramatic interpretation and let it go. How long are you going to own this car? In a practical sense the calendar for replacing that part just changed from "maybe never" to "within 24 months" based on the torn boot/grease leak by itself.

EDIT: in Mass? ok maybe only 12-18 months as you have both annual inspections and salty winters.

priusrust likes this.
  13. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's a sales technique to lighten your wallet.

priusrust likes this.
  14. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Where in Mass?
    Cape, North Shore, South Shore?
    Fwiw, people that live "smell distance" away from the ocean, do often experience "rather accelerated" deterioration of parts.
    If you can smell the salt in the air, then..... there's salt in the air :), and that salt is also beating the crud out of everything on your property.

Imho, 90% of the dealerships in Mass Suck *******.
    Fwiw, in America, now ??~80%?? of the dealerships are actually owned by conglomerates. Similar to how Jordan's Furniture is now owned by a conglomerate.
    At a dealership, often the Service Department provides ~~70%-85% of a dealership's profits.
    Since most dealerships are owned by conglomerates, getting service, and buying a car, can suck.

But, that's not saying that any independent, or National chain, is going to be better. :-|

If you're near Boston, then, I suggest Wellsley Toyota. They are still person/family owned, and very customer oriented.
    Fwiw, they are also in a Niche position, because there in the highest average income area in Mass, and have a lot of rather well off clients, who buy new cars often, and get regular service/checks.
    Still, they treat everyone the same. They prosper through their reputation.

A very good video to watch is below:
    Btw, there is some other video on youtube, where there was a bad ball joint on a Toyota car (?~180K miles?). So, Toyota car ball joints do go bad - just very rarely.

Toyota Steering and Suspension Guide Part 2 : Control arms and Ball joints
    Aug 28, 2020
    The Car Care Nut

Start at ~12:30

Code:
    https://youtu.be/GSMIWrNuKsk?t=750
    Toyota Steering and Suspension Guide Part 2 : Control arms and Ball joints
    Aug 28, 2020
    The Car Care Nut

Good Luck!

#14 prius16, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    priusrust and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm just outside the city of medicine Durham North Carolina home of Duke University. Come on down y'all we'll fix your right up matter of fact the part sitting right here on the floor brand new in the box no kidding

priusrust likes this.
  16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I know they asked. I'm not scared everybody knows where I am. No biggie at all

18. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, great video!....been to Wellesley once-good experience. Went to get price for failed brake actuator (common failure for gen 2) and then went to Leo & Sons in Lawrence. -very good! Only complaint is they put in used one and failed to convince me that the used one might not end up being faulty too.... so far so good. [Yes , re 90% .....few years back steering wheel disengaged (while driving). Toyota likely did not properly torque replacement for recalled driving shaft bolt properly. Their reaction to it pathetic-I could have died, and they called it 'wear and tear' ]. ...............I'm northshore, but not smell distance from ocean. But yeh...salted roads winters brutal-salt kicks up and sand blasts any under coating you may have. Also, been through 2 bad wheelbearings- I hear salt accelerates damage there too (although that's another weak point for gen 2)....................Currently have 2 prius, my 2004, and a 2016 with very low miles-23k. only take out the 2016 infrequently in winter on dry sunny days. (then do undercarriage wash) To be honest, I prefer my gen 2. Just the right amount on 'innovation' for me. ...reliable little tank. Owners manual not the size of a phone book. Hooked up inverter to 12 volt, can use fridge, 'instant pot', microwave, etc. tinted back windows, fold down rear seat- amazingly roomy to use a sleeping bag in a pinch. Leave prius in "on" position....and it will heat up/ cool off to maintain temp of your choice. (ICE kicking on periodically to charge traction battery) ...little Hilton on wheels. :) Thanks to all for all this great advice! ....priuschat should have a "buy a round" feature.

19. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have wetlands behind my house, and it's not uncommon for my backyard to be soaked in the Spring.
    My cars can see similar/worse damage than the cars owned by friends and family eyesight away from the ocean.
    Imho, GM cars are the worse.

When I was in school, I was fortunate to have friends/family in small businesses. Such as a local service garage, national chain service garage, local pharmacy, and national chain pharmacy.
    That's why people will see my both brutally bash companies/professionals, and massively defend companies/professionals.

Most dealer mechanics are very good. But, most is not all. Plus, the mechanics can be aggressively pushed by management to push things like the scam ball-joint replacements. Of course, local management is very aggressively pushed by the conglomerate execs to push things like ball joint replacements, and to increase profit from the Service Center. Again, the Service Center is often over 75% of the profits.

Many local companies try to survive by being very customer oriented, and having a good reputation.
    Imho, it fails more often than it works. So, local companies can result in being bigger scam artists - just to survive.

When I have time, I try to respond to some harder/non-black/white threads. Especially when there can be other not so obvious factors - like location/use/etc.

Thanks for the info on the shop in Lawrence!
    Weaselly is closer to where I live and work. But, it's good to know of a good non-dealership (Cheaper! :)), in case of a big/expensive non-warranty repair.

priusrust likes this.
  20. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeh, Leo & Sons very good....real perfectionists. I was impressed and saved a boatload of $ over dealership. They really delve deep into hybrid tech.
    re good mechanics/ bad mechanics....I read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" ...waaay back in high school:- excellent primer on the subject.