1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota dealer no longer accepting prius orders

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by syncmaster, Dec 5, 2005.

1. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I talked to my toyota dealer at long Island, NY and they are not taking any more orders for the 2006 prius. He said all future allocations have been filled by people that have left deposits. As far as I know all the sales are MSRP.
    I am wondering if this is normal now or if the dealer I know just dosen't get many prius'.
    Please post here if you have been able to recently (December 2005) order a 2006 prius and leave a deposit.

Thanks for your input

2. justinc

justinc New Member

I just received my 2006 Prius on 12/1. I am in N. CAL. Just a week or two before my delivery date, I did call other dealers around town and they were able to accept deposits.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pay no mind to that dealer.

Go elsewhere. Go out of state or across the country if need be.

They can't ALL be spoken for already.

4. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

What a weird thing to say. The only thing I can think of is he didn't want to wait months for a commission. Did he try to steer you to something he had on the lot? You may get a different response from another salesman. I'd consider calling their on-site customer service rep to see if what you were told was the dealer's official line or not...

But yea, you should be able to go elsewhere.

5. spinjunkie53

spinjunkie53 New Member

What dealer in LI? I have left deposits at 2 dealerships back in September and havent heard a peep out of either of them. I specifically told them I want a 2006. The third dealership on LI I requested my deposit back and had to report them to BBB and Consumer Affairs since they werent giving me my deposit back.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

It's possible that the dealer doesn't want to deal with the crap. If they are like my dealer, they get 5 or 6 a month. If they have 60 or 70 deposits down and are a year out before you could even think about getting your car, then maybe they just decided to stop screwing with it. Send you somewhere else or sell you a different car. I can see why they'd rather not rack it up to 5 years worth of cars.

7. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

To me this makes sense, it also prevents a dealer from giving the impression that someone will have a car when there is no way they can fill the order. If this is the case they are in fact acting in the better interest of the public.

There is a dealer in my area that told my parents strait up that their allocation is on average 1-2 per month and that they would gladly place the order but it could be a very long time. They went to another dealer and had their car in 3 weeks.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this is a dealer with a good memory of the craziness that ensued with the release of the 2004 Prius. Those who committed to MSRP either had to openly screw those with whom they'd taken deposits (that occured), or sell at MSRP (which they hated) knowing they could get several thousand OVER MSRP when the demand was really high.

Demand will be that high again and dealers will be out to rape and pilage to take advantage of that again. If they have no contract they are free to sell to the highest bidder...

"If you pay $1000 over MSRP you can have your car today and still "make" $2150 on the tax credit." Don't think we won't hear stories of people hearing that line.

Find somewhere else that'll take your deposit and give you a firm number for where you are on their list. Ask what they're current and anticipated allocation is. Then call back monthly to see how you're sitting.

9. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

This same thought has been in the back of my mind since I placed my 06 order. I dont particularly want to think what I would say (or do) to the sales person if this comes up. <_<

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yes, make sure you do this. at first there was a misunderstanding and i wasn't immediately put on the list. when i called a month and a half later, they didn't know i was waiting. fortunately it was taken care of quickly and satisfactorily.

just watch out for that.

11. comtech5

comtech5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I ordered an '06 Prius from Riverhead Toyota on Long Island, NY on August 1. Still suffering from PAS (Prius Anticipation Syndrome) as it's anyone's guess when the color, trim and package combo that I want will arrive (Seaside Pearl, Taupe, Pkg 8). The salespersons don't know much about the Prius, so I have been dealing with Dennis the Sales Mgr. I'm quite sure that he would take your order/deposit (MSRP) and preference the options you want into the system. So far, he's done all he can for me, but you have to stay on top of them because this whole Prius thing is out-of-control and is a hassle for all involved. He told me that potential customers actually become belligerent/hostile when they just walk in with check-in-hand expecting to take one home and are told they have to wait an undeterminable amount of time. No one knows anything for certain when it comes to buying this fickle vehicle. I guess all this hard-to-get stuff makes owning one that much more special.

12. Jeffreywho

Jeffreywho New Member

I live in PA and call Shermans in Binghamton, NY about 3 weeks ago. He wanted a $500. deposit and said I would get an 06 maybe in Jan. probable Feb. at MSRP. 2005 available immediately. I believe their allocation is only two or three cars a month. From the inventories I've been watching the 05's are piling up here in PA,NY and NJ.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do the tax credits (not the old deductions) apply only to 2006 model year cars delivered in 2006? Or do they also apply to 2005s taken in 2006?

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta take delivery after on or after Jan. 1--it should apply to the '05MR as well I think, if there happened to still be one available after the first of the year.

15. Traanya Drinker

Traanya Drinker New Member

I agree; there are dealers in the NW that are going through this scenario with the Highlander, also. It's even worse for that model.