1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Dealer says 2006 Prius needs new Transmission - $6000

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joe Keene, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Joe Keene

Joe Keene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took my 2006 Prius Gen II to the local Toyota dealer (Wolfchase Toyota in Memphis) and I was told that my car would need a new transmission for a cost of around $6000.

Is this a reasonable charge for this type of part? My understanding is that the Prius transmission was very simple mechanically. I've gone out to car-parts.com to price some used transmissions for this vehicle and they're coming in at way less -- $750 to $1000

Is the dealership's quote a reasonable one or is it a classic case of price-gouging?

If asked, would the dealer be able to order a used transmission and install it on my car?

Normally, I'd ask my local trustworthy mechanic, but they have no experience in working with hybrids and really couldn't help me on this. I'm not finding any independent hybrid mechanics in the Memphis area either.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What caused you to take the car to the dealer, what warning lights and driveability symptoms are present, and what DTC were logged by the car?

The dealer's quote is on the high-side of reasonable. I believe the new transaxle price is around $3.5K, and you'll need to add the labor time involved, probably 8 hours. You'll have to ask your dealer whether the service dept is willing to install a used unit.

Obviously the risk is yours if the used unit is installed and fails to operate properly.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius transmission is no more difficult to change than any other FWD transmission. Not being in the US I cannot help with workshops. Do you have a list of the fault codes so we can check them out?

If it does prove to be the transmission keep asking round your area you should be able to do the complete change including price (SH) of transmission for less than half you were quoted.

What mileage has your car done as guarantee is 8years 100,000miles if not a CARB state, 10years 150,000miles if it is.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can't say whether that's a good price or a bad price but, I can say that if it was me, I would buy a used tranny and replace it myself (if indeed the tranny is even bad (which I'm not convinced of yet)).

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Four and one-half hours each way on I-40, plus an all-day job in between. Seems that this job could be done for the right price if the OP could find a used tranny, a fair price for a visitor's labor, 10 gallons of gasoline, and enough of that same man's favorite beverage(s).

6. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 for Britprius.

FWD transmissions (aka transaxles as Patrick W. stated) are more difficult to remove than RWD, but it won't take a professional 8 hours to change one out. Sounds like stealership time padding to me. GAWD, I HATE STEALERSHIPS !!!!!!!!

Almost as bad as going to the ER after they find out you have good insurance coverage $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Your friendly local mechanic should be capable of doing the work. He (or she - getting more common) is undoubtedly wary of the high voltage system and lacks the knowledge to safety disconnect the traction battery. The rest is relatively simple. Separate the tranny from the engine and remove the tranny from underneath the car. Not at all different from a FWD manual tranny.

I have changed out a FWD manual transaxle once myself and it's no picnic. I had a Honda Civic with a bad mainshaft bearing that needed to be replaced and I replaced the clutch at the same time. Because I was (am) an amateur with a limited number of tools (AND NO HOIST), it took me quite some time to jack up the car to a sufficient height so I could drop the trans down from the engine and remove it from underneath the car while still seated securely on the tranny scissors jack (cheapo Harbor Freight) and have enough clearance to roll it out. Altogether, it took me about 16 hours to remove, repair, and reinstall. I drove the car for 80,000 miles after I repaired it - not too shabby.

+1.5 for Patrick W.

Buying a used Prius E-CVT transaxle is much more risky than a manual tranny because there's two 'lectric motors built intuit don't ya know. There isn't a really good way to test the E-CVT before buying it from a auto recycler either. The OP might be stuck buying a new one from Toyota. I sure hope he doesn't have to.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately the OP has not got back to us yet (early days) with codes or symptoms, when he does we may discover if he indeed needs a new transmission.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Buying a used transmission I agree can be a bit of a lottery but if you can get one from a relatively low mileage car that has been in a rear shunt or t bone the chances are very good and in my opinion "for what it's worth LOL" would be the way to go.

9. Joe Keene

Joe Keene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the responses. My car is 125K miles on it. I bought it as a used vehicle three years ago.

The symptoms are a whirring noise that occurs when I let off the accelerator and coast. It becomes audible at 30mph with a lower-pitch noise, higher pitches as I coast at higher speeds. The noise isn't apparent when I accelerate (which is why I didn't suspect a tranny problem in the first place). My regular (non-hybrid) mechanic took a look at it and suggested that it might be the regenerative brakes creating some friction when the vehicle coasted, but didn't know for sure.

I'll have to contact the service department on Monday morning to ask about the codes that are being generated.

I talked with them yesterday and here's what the service rep at the dealership mentioned:

About $3,500 for the actual transaxle part
    About $2,500 for the labor (estimating 25 hours of work, which I don't find credible at all)

What are some good points to push back on with the dealership on repairs like this? Fortunately, I've dealt with a couple of good and honest mechanics who worked on our conventional non-hybrid vehicles for so long, I'd forgotten how to deal with the rip-off artists at the dealerships.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What warning lights appear on the dashboard?

11. Joe Keene

Joe Keene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No warning lights at all.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, so the only problem is noise then? You haven't noticed any other driveability symptoms or mpg reduction, etc.?

In that case, I would say you should just live with the problem for now, unless you have so much money that you don't mind spending four-digits to get rid of noise. Your car has 125K miles and is not worth that much, so it doesn't make sense to spend a tremendous amount on repairs.

In the mean time, I suggest that you look around for an independent who can replace the transaxle for you, if more serious symptoms develop and you decide it is necessary to take action. If there are no suitable independents in your area, see if you can get a more favorable price quote from another Toyota dealer. Good luck.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jim,

Unfortunately that listing is for only half of the transaxle, the half closest to the engine.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  15. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This noise the car is making and their diagnosis and price for repairs seems within the parameters of legitamacy... But that's assuming you replace with brand new transmission, which costs more than twice as much than a low mileage used transmission. This link below should answer most all of your questions about symptoms and replacing with a used transmission for half the cost the dealer quote you. Early Signs of Potential Gen 2 Prius Issues? | PriusChat

16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The figures are about right for a new tranaxle for the Prius. Champion Toyota which sells a lot of stuff online for discount figures show the MSRP to be $3468.39 and the online price to be $2601.29

Champion ToyotaWorld

A lot of PC users say to opt for a used transaxle from a junkyard or a recently wrecked Prius. There is a lot of labor involved to change out the transaxle. I am sure other's will say basically the same thing.

I am not saying your transaxle is bad, I am simply posting the cost's involved if you transaxle does need to be replaced.

Good luck to you.

Ron

17. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Joe,
    Honestly this does not sound like a tranny problem to me at all. The first thing I would check would be the front wheel bearings. Although you only hear the sound while coasting, doesn't necessarily point to a wheel bearing, I would still check it. If that didn't fix it, I would change out the tranny fluid.

18. James Folger

James Folger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The Champion Toyota World link doesnt work anymore?

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That dealer is now named AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway (Houston, TX).