1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota dealer supplied and installed HV battery warranty duration?? (UK)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by landspeed, May 1, 2019.

1. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

Hi!

I bought my mum a second hand Gen 1 Prius (NWH11). It worked for a while, but then became 'weak', with the engine revving, the car being very slow to accelerate, and the battery meter moving from empty to full.

The HV battery was replaced by a Toyota dealer. They supplied the battery, and the labour. This was about 18 months ago. About 13 months after the replacement, the red triangle came on again. The symptoms suggest a HV battery problem (I am sending her a WiFi OBD scanner for initial testing, and she would be able to do diagnostics including measuring high voltages; she could replace battery cells but I would prefer to do that for her!).

I am travelling back to the UK to see her, in November 2019. However the car is now stuck at home. We were under the impression that the warranty was one year (hence the car being stuck at home, and me buying her a Nissan Micra).

I found a post recently showing a Toyota document that HV battery replacements have a 3 year warranty. If this was true for the UK, then I could get a free fix for my mum's car.

Either way I am going home late this year with my grid-charger (DIY), tools, spare ECUs, etc. But it would be awesome if I could get Toyota to fix their battery that failed so quickly. Does anyone know if the 3-year warranty thing (possibly) applies to the UK?

I would get my mum to check the codes and check for other issues such as inverter issues, HV isolation etc etc before wasting money getting the car transported to the Toyota dealer, either way :)

Thank you for your advice!

EDIT : The Nissan Micra auto transmission (e.g. the Renault transmission) completely exploded today. I can get her a new one for half the price of a cheap Gen 2 Prius. I am likely to buy a Gen 2 Prius, rather than throw money at the Renault-Nissan, but if her Gen 1.1 (NWH11) Prius may possibly have a 3 year HV battery warranty that would be awesome!

2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the US it would have a 3 yr warranty. In the UK, who knows. The thing to do is to call the dealer where the battery was sold/installed. Check the paperwork, too.

3. velosolex50

velosolex50 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just bought and fitted a new battery in my 2001 car, and the warranty is 12 months. The dealership never mentioned the possibility of a longer warranty if they fitted it, but I didn't ask. Hope you can get it sorted.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems extremely unlikely to have a New Toyota HV battery fail in such a short time.
    In fact I don't recall their ever being a single documented case ever on this board.

Only time I saw a failure was when nuts were not properly torqued. But that was an installation error, not a battery manufacturing issue.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Eric. With proper installation and regular use, a replacement battery should probably be expected to last at least 10 years. The newer ones are better than the originals, there was a revision in design around 2010. (Mine got a new one in '13.)

6. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

I will know quite soon when I get around to going back to the UK and fixing up the car; I have sent my mum a Wifi OBD-2 but not much point pulling codes yet (the battery has / had a lot of charge, and I don't want it to drain too low before I come over with my grid charger);

It would be awesome if it is something other than the battery (well, maybe; depending on exactly what). If it is something in the transmission I will just replace the whole thing, for example, which would be moderately 'easy' - a few days of a few week holiday!

I will report back once I get back and start proper diagnostics; I will probably replace brake calipers and stuff as well, maybe fluids too (except, the car was fully serviced by Toyota shortly before the red triangle).

While it probably doesn't offer much of a clue, the car was moveable although it had lots of lights and the engine wouldn't try to start, after a 12v battery disconnect / wait / reconect, the car no longer 'works' (it powers up, but the HSD refuses to do anything).

7. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

For what it is worth, the Micra lives on; the AA and Nissan dealer said she needed a new transmission, as there was oil everywhere. In the end, it was the clutch master cylinder (or slave?) which 'burst', leaking out the clutch fluid (it is a manual transmission). She found this out when we took it to a back-street garage in Birmingham (UK), which was owned / run by some Iranians (British but originally from Iran). They were great, got it fixed shortly after my first post, and didn't try to rip her off like many garages would have. I felt I had to post that given the current political climate etc! :)