1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota dealer throttle dirt issue

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andy S., Jun 9, 2015.

1. Andy S.

Andy S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

I had my 2012 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) model three 1.8L 4 Cyl. Hybrid FWD for 50K service last week in the Toyota dealership. The inspection shown 1. throttle body dirty has carbon buildup 2. fuel induction service 3. brake fluid dirty. The total cost would be $582. What is the legitimate way to fix these issues for lower cost? I am a driver who generally drive ~120 mile per day for work. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Throttle body is pretty easy to clean. Fuel induction service is probably a bottle that you pour into gas tank. Brake fluid is pretty easy to replace if you have two persons and mini-vci.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are all standard stealership rip-off items, and they tell everyone who comes through the door that they need them at 50k. Only thing you need to do is drive away.

bisco likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Or you can get them done at a good independent shop for probably half the money.

Priusguy78213 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see post #3 unless you are having drivability problems.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Even though none of those are essential they are beneficial. Brake fluid should be replaced every 2…4 years it will make brake hydraulic component life longer. Throttle body cleaning will prevent future drivability problems but it might not be needed now. Fuel system (injector) cleaner will also reduce future drivability problems but need depends on the quality of gas used.

mikefocke likes this.
  7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What valde3 said.

You could do all of these in a little over an hour with the proper instructions, tools and a helper.

8. Andy S.

Andy S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks all! My decision is to wait until the next major maintenance to fix the issues.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It sounds like a dealership's "suite" of services. Still, don't let you put you off on all three, immediately. Their necessity varies, and some could be DIY.

The fuel induction cleaning service: I'd be inclined to completely walk away from this, unless you're having specific problems. I've never done that on any vehicle we've had, no problems. Read up on it for sure, keep an open mind, but I can't see a pressing need for this.

Throttle body cleaning: This is a relatively easy DIY. Besides the TBC there's another thing that can be done: cleaning of the Mass Air Flow Sensor. The latter is a little trickier I think, it's small/fragile. Again, that could be put off, if you've no problems noticed. For the throttle body cleaning, NutzAboutBolts has a video:

(^ Hmm, I've yet to do this, think I should. :))

Brake fluid replacement: In the 2014 Prius (regular) Canadian Warranty and Scheduled Maintenance Guide, Brake Fluid Replacement is recommended at 48.000 km's or 36 months (whichever comes first). I believe this the first year it was suggested, and it seems a shift in Toyota policy, a recognition that brake fluid has a "half-life". The US 2015 Warranty and Maintenance Guide still does not make any reference to brake fluid.

An excerpt from 2014 Prius (regular) Canadian Warranty and Scheduled Maintenance Guide:

Capture.JPG

Still, other auto manufacturers, Honda specifically, have been recommending a tri-yearly brake fluid replacement, for decades. The stuff attracts water, which can cause rusting: it's just makes good sense to periodically flush it through the bleed screws, replace with fresh fluid.

This service though, is one I'd leave to the dealership, especially due to the complexity of the Prius braking system. I've done this myself on conventional vehicles, with mixed results, and now I'm much rather let the pros do it, since they have tools that can automate the process somewhat, and the price is (or should be) relatively trivial: should be around $100.

One thing when getting the pros to do a brake fluid replacement: INSIST that they road test the car after, and be cognisant for the next few days, make sure the car feels normal. That alone will likely keep them on their toes. If there's anything weird or different, return the car, get it rechecked. They can screw up.

#9 Mendel Leisk, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Priusguy78213 likes this.