1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Dealership left my Prius ON in the lot

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ralleia, Jul 4, 2013.

1. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, went to pick up my 2012 Prius yesterday after the 10,000 mile complimentary servicing.

Picked up the paperwork and as I approached the car in the parking lot I could hear that the air conditioner was running.

I got in and when I saw that the traction battery had discharged down to 2 bars I realized that the service department had left my vehicle powered ON in the lot for two hours.

It took all of three seconds to decide to go back in and let the service department know that leaving my vehicle running in the lot for two hours was UNACCEPTABLE.

The service manager was out until Friday, but we will re-engage then.
    A Toyota service department should know how to handle a Toyota Prius.

Are there ramifications that I should be concerned about to the traction battery or any other systems from this incident?

I know that the charge controller is designed to protect the condition of the battery. However, the incident has added two hours of atypical use to the systems.

It is certainly something that no Prius owner would want to do to his or her own vehicle.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on if it was in "on" status or the hybrid system was running ("Ready"). If the system was running, it just started the ICE and re-charged every so often. that's the most likely scenario, since the main battery would never be able to run the A/C for 2 hours. In any case it would all shut down long before any damage was done. Probably all you lost was a cup or two of fuel.

xraydoug likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unacceptable and you should be compensated. i hope you documented it with one of the employees.

4. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It was the latter.

Someone drove it, parked it, and walked away with the FOB without hitting the power. The engine would have had to have kicked on multiple times in order to keep the battery from discharging completely.

I didn't get any real documentation of the incident from service, but I spoke to one of main techs, got his and the manager's business cards, and have no doubt that the incident will be acknowledged.

5. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't think your Prius has been running for 2 hours.
    The traction battery can only run the A/C for no more than 20 min, then the ICE will start up to recharge the battery.
    When you see two bars meaning the ICE has not started and should be on less than 30 min.
    Get over it.

ou812 and jgilliam1955 like this.
  6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There's really no chance of any "damage", since the system will not allow itself to discharge the battery. No damage means no "compensation". Obviously someone needs to be corrected, since we know that car beeped at him when he walked away with the fob. Best to keep this polite, civil and simply ask for some free service.

7. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Careless? Yes. Did it hurt anything? No.

JimboPalmer and ou812 like this.
  8. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your Prius is fine, I've run the car for 2+ hours before while the AC is on while waiting in the car. Your battery is being recharged by the engine once it gets down to 2 or less bar's. When your battery is low, the engine turns on and uses fuel to recharge the HV Battery so it doesn't get low.

It is unacceptable that they left it on, but your vehicle is fine and healthy. They probably used 2-3 of your fuel bar's.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    a wash and a tank of gas would suffice.

dogfriend, ralleia and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  10. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They should be doing this when you are done with the paperwork for your car and are ready to drive it brand new out of the lot.

11. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As others have said no harm. I set for a ferry for almost 2hours going to work. I sat with the AC on and radio. The engine may come once. Sometimes not at all. All done by battery. I read some where here campers who use tents will sometimes use the Prius for sleep with the ac on when it gets to hot. They said the engine runs 8 mins about every hour then the rest is on battery. I would be more upset about some stealing the car.

ralleia likes this.
  12. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No problems being polite with businesses, even when I am upset.

I am glad to know that the oversight should not give me future problems.

This is a minor aggravation compared to what a Chrysler dealership service department pulled on me 15 years ago, which was trying to sell me a load of unnecessary services and parts for my LHS, and then leaving my radiator cap laying on the block next to my radiator, which of course ended up boiling over and causing the engine to start to overheat. When I stopped the car to pop the hood and saw where the cap was, I was livid.

Anyhow, I want to at least make sure that the incident is noted on the car's record, and a tank of gas wouldn't hurt, either. DH and I might be looking into going to a different dealership to service our Toyotas, since he is not sure that the recent repair on his daily driver was entirely right.

Thank you for answering my question!

13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is false just so you know.

It is entirely possible for it to have been running for 2 hours. The car will run entirely off of the traction battery until it is down to 2bars almost into 1 bar. Then it will charge up to 3 bars and continue doing this.

Now onto the OP, no harm done. The only thing that happened was you wasted a bit a fuel and your tank average will be lower than it otherwise would have been. Even if the display shows 1 bar on the traction battery, it is still 40% charged. When it is completely full on the screen, it is really only 80% charged. Toyota takes care of all of the engineering behind the scenes. It is nearly impossible to kill these awesome cars.

People including myself routinely use the Prius as a backup generator. Attach a 1000W load to the Prius and leave it READY for 8hours. During hurricanes it is not uncommon for people to run their Prii for 3-4 days in READY mode powering their house. The car takes care of itself no matter how you abuse it.

The only exception is when you run out of fuel. You can then detrimentally hurt the traction battery by depleting it lower than 40%. You can get to 10% to 15% depletion before it no longer can spin MG1 and get the engine going again. Chicken and egg problem and now you need an external battery charger.

Don't worry about it!

cwerdna and ralleia like this.
  14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would be upset that the car was left unlocked in running mode.

As far as damage is concerned, none.

I regularly leave my car in READY mode (locked with the mechanical key, PARK, and parking brake set) with the A/C turned ON. Useful when leaving the car out in hot weather while shopping or dining.

The only danger would be to leave the car in running mode while in a closed garage. Other than that, it just a minimal amount of gas to operate the engine occasionally to keep the battery even with the A/C usage.

rdgrimes likes this.
  15. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

for what?

16. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

The gasoline that their error caused to be consumed.

17. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Holy cow--you routinely leave your Pri in READY mode while shopping or dining?

I opted for the solar ventilation fan, which helps by several degrees, and a big sun shield for the front windshield.

Otherwise it is always off, unless I am just running back into the house to grab a forgotten item.

The car was markedly sluggish on two bars. Which might be something to clarify to first-time Prius shoppers on their test drives.

If a Prius is sitting on the lot without being taken out for a test-drive for a month (I found some lonely Prius in the back of lot in the middle of the Nebraska winter), then the battery state might not accurately reflect how peppy the car can be off a stop line.

This is my first Prius, and I remember how sluggish some of the ones I tested felt. The experiences almost caused me to eliminate the Prius from consideration.

It's something the sales departments should really be aware of when a customer is interested in a Prius.

Unfortunately, at least around here, most of the salespeople that I talked to knew anything about how a Prius works. I remember one of them didn't even realize that the engine turns off when the vehicle is at a stop. Trying to explain that it was off during a coast would have blown his mind.

18. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

Wow, thank you a million times for this. I've been trying to figure out how to leave the car locked with the A/C on. It works ONLY with the mechanical key, and can be done in "on" mode or "ready" mode. I love this undocumented feature! Only drawback is that you have to use the mechanical key to open it again as far as I can tell.

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^^ you want "ready" mode or you will kill the 12 volt batt.

also the fob should unlock even if locked w/ mech key.

20. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It does not unlock with the smart key or remote button either one, when the car is in On or Ready mode, only when it's off. I presume this is part of the security system, the same as not allowing someone to open the door when you are in the car.

Moral of this story: if you lock the car while its on, you better not lose the hard key.