1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota dealership wants to install new main battery

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Ryan1, Sep 4, 2024 at 10:31 AM.

1. Ryan1

Ryan1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    my hybrid battery is fully charging to green. and car runs great. I was getting a triangle red on dash with maintenance light only. they are saying i need a whole new main battery because 1 cell has corrosion on it. are they trying to rip me off? $2700.

2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did the dealership give you the trouble codes that they found? If so, please list them.

Check to see if the Hybrid battery is still in warranty. I believe it is 10 years or 150k miles, whichever comes first.

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Welcome Ryan,
    Your in the gen4 forum, so a 2016 battery should still be under warranty or just out of warranty. I believe they are warrantied for 8 years or 100K miles. Beginning in 2020, the traction battery warranty went to 10 years or 150K miles. If your just outside of manufacturer's warranty, ask for a "good will" replacement, this usually works if your a loyal customer and had all your work done there.
    The other alternative is to look for a traction pack out of a front end wreck.

Good Luck....

Danno5060 likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get the trouble codes from the dealer if you paid for them. it is possible that you need a new battery on a 16 year old car, but it is also possible that the corrosion could be cleaned up.
    you will need a battery eventually if not soon, and $2,700. is a pretty good dealer price.