1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Denies Delays In Future Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Aug 13, 2007.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Denies Delays In Future Hybrid Launches

Toyota says it’s “bemused†by the Wall Street Journal's recent story that the timing for its next generation of the Prius has been pushed back. Rebutting the story, Toyota issued the following statement:

“We've been very interested to note stories in The Wall Street Journal over the past couple of days purporting that the introduction of a next-generation Prius has been delayed because of the slow pace of development of lithium-ion batteries.

The Journal also claims that those same concerns have postponed the introduction of the use of our Hybrid Synergy Drive, using those batteries, in other Toyota vehicle lines such as the Sequoia and the Tundra.

Of course Toyota maintains detailed schedules for future vehicle development, production and launch--schedules that are under constant refinement as market conditions and consumer needs evolve. But, we've never announced the timing for the introduction of a next-generation Prius, or for any of our other hybrid vehicles. We do, in fact, introduce our vehicles only when they're ready for introduction.

For that matter, we've not shared much information about a next-generation Prius, since--like most companies operating in a highly competitive market--we don't talk explicitly about future product. And we've not discussed the type of battery that any hypothetical next-generation version of Hybrid Synergy Drive might use.

Read more.

2. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For that matter, we've not shared much information about a next-generation Prius, since--like most companies operating in a highly competitive market--we don't talk explicitly about future product.

That's what Don Corleone said in the first Godfather movie: never tell them what you're thinking!

Harry

3. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice article.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really like this statement they made. Well stated giving hints and clues but not giving a thing away.

This was interesting to me:
    Range per charge is one such obstacle to overcome. A 10-mile round trip to the train station or market in Japan is not at all unusual. But in the U.S., that's a rarity, and consumers will expect considerably more in electric charge capacity-no matter what the battery type.

Maybe I'm reading more into it, but it seems clear to me that that means Toyota intends a longer range PHEV than the 10 mile number previously bantied about. Very cool.

5. pafoss

pafoss Plug-in Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "We do, in fact, introduce our vehicles only when they're ready for introduction."

It's done when its done. Awesome.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius was the same way. And there didn't seem to be nearly as
    much bogus rumor mill flying around it at the time. In fact, if the
    press just left Toyota alone to do their thing instead of having to
    continually do damage control, we might see a next-gen Prius that
    much sooner.
    _H*

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    1) Toyota may be much closer than you might think. 2009 or 2010 might be far away for some, but in car manufacturing, that's tomorrow.

2) A full production LiIon for PHEVs is also a full production LiIon for EVs.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkash @ Aug 13 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]495009[/snapback]</div>

I can foresee GM fans using these two statements as Toyota attacking GM lol.

9. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The LiIon batteries would be a huge technological and mpg leap for the the Prius. The main reason is the energy storage efficiency improvement of LiIon vs NiMH. Over 90% for LiIon vs 60% for NiMH. Without LiIon, I don't know that they can do too much to improve the Prius. A smaller turbocharged engine maybe? I am not really too optimistic about them releasing a PHEV NiMH Prius. I don't think you can get a good PHEV without going LiIon.

10. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Aug 14 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]495416[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly - far too much of the energy recovered from braking is lost when using a NiMH battery. Similar losses are incurred if using NiMH for a PHEV charged from the grid, so they need to move to LiIon asap (some types have over 98% efficiency in terms of charge out for charge in).

11. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can deny crap from someone else.

13. Topgas

Topgas New Member

I wonder if Toyota is actually making money with the Prius now that they're doing volume? You never know if Toyota themselves aren't in the background sliding rumors in here and there. There's lots of good PR to be had and they deserve to get every inch of PR from the Prius they can get.

14. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clett @ Aug 15 2007, 03:06 AM) [snapback]496007[/snapback]</div>
    Humm.... so maybe the LiION next gen Prius is how the "rumored" 105mpg thing came from?

15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Topgas @ Aug 16 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]497377[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota has made it very clear that they are making money from all their hybrids. The unknown is how much margin they have compared to a non-hybrid equivalent. It looks like it's pretty decent given the effort being expended to expand the hybrid production. (Nothing reveals the truth about profitability then what models a manufacturer dedicates production increases for.....just like SUVs a decade ago.) One other aspect worth noting is that little advertising has been required to keep the lots cleared. Now every commercial cost about 3 cars for prime time coverage, so the advertising needed per Prius sold is unbelivably good.