1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Denies Government Helped Fund Prius Development

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by mbarrows, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On MSNBC yesterday:

TOKYO - Toyota Motor Corp. denied on Wednesday it had received any funding from the Japanese government to develop its hit Prius gas-electric hybrid car.

Japan's top automaker rejected a March 24 Business Week report that quoted Jim Press, vice chairman and president of Chrysler LLC and a former board member at Toyota, as saying, "The Japanese government paid for 100 percent of the development of the battery and hybrid system that went into the Toyota Prius."

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh-huh. And what did we get for the money that Chrysler (and GM, and Ford) took from the US gummint's "Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles" and "Freedom CAR" programs? Oh I remember: nothing. Thanks, Big Three!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wha...I was going to head down to Chevy and buy a FCV today!
    This stinks of sour grapes on the Chrysler guy's part.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Funny how the media won't raise even HALF a stink, about GM pissing away untold MILLIONS on research money they got for the EV1's that GM built ... that they CRUSHED. Sadly, no one was quick enough to file a restraining order based on the fact that as a government sponsered event, GM had no right to crush them, because they were paid for with OUR tax dollars.

so even if hybrids DID come about from tax money, at least Toyota didn't take back all the hybrids and crush them ... so I'd have no problem with that ... but a HUGE problem with GM

5. BoyGadget

BoyGadget BoyGadget

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I could't have said it better myself!

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yet. . .:unsure:

I had heard the argument (mostly from Malorn) that a large percentage of the Prius development was paid for by the Japanese government. In fact, that's how most Big Three fans start every sentence just out of habit. Now matter how much we prodded for proof, there was never any; just more accusations. Now what I would like is some form of proof from Toyota and the Japanese government just to settle the deal. I have no idea what form this would take, but with nothing more than a statement, it's far too easy for staunch Sour-Grapers to argue with it.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Why worry about it TonyP ... if the U.S. (or any other country) sponsers idiotic hydrogen / fuel cel research (tho there has never been a more HUGE wast of research dollars) that ultimately ends with GM admitting it's a waste (except for them bragging on commercials how 'Green' they are, on non-existent cars) of time, why should Toyota have to answer anything. 'sides ... how do you prove a negative?

8. C.RICKEY HIROSE

Why is "Jim Press" the CEO of Chrysler and the former Top Toyota executive in USA saying things like this?

Is he regretting the move to Chrysler.. We were just a few month a go talkin' of his move from Toyota to Chrysler.. Jim Press mentioned something like taking on a new challenge ( Too easy with Toyota) and help American Auto manufacturer prosper after Daimler-Benz had to cut the hemorrhaging division and practically gave Chrysler away...

Toyota has stated that a single most investment to develop a product was the Hybrid development as whole, to the tune of a $ Billion of dollars?

The Prius came to the market place 'cause back in Clinton-Gore adm days
    Toyota was rebuffed to participate in joint development ( with Toyota's own money) on the Soon to be Glorious "Super car Project" Next gen of high fuel mileage and clean vehicle for the masses.

Japan's govermnt will not help fund Toyota's next vehicle development just for the simple reason of Toyota is the most Cash Cow of the bunch...
    Toyota does not need nor merits govermnt's funding.. Period.

I'm very sure that Toyota went to Japan Inc. stating their case using the Americas then ongoing "Super Car Project" as a big threat but Toyota has again beeing rebuffed, this time from its own govrnmnt, with senario more like, You have enough money amassed over the years of lucrative business abroad, if you are so afraid about the competition gettin' the upper hand on you, go and spend your own money and develop something to fight the "Super Car" and the answer is, we have the car of the future today!

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    To that I say: Thank you to the Japanese government. Your worthwhile contribution made it possible for me to buy a car that gets excellent fuel economy and pollutes less than any vehicle sold by the Big Three. You have done the world a great service.

10. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Jim Press has fallen so far in my book......

He needs to just go away. He's damaged himself so badly the past year....

I hope that he got paid a TON of money to whore himself out to Chrysler. And I hope that for his sake, those checks have been collected and have cleared.... Chrysler is in a hell of a lot of trouble.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off, I'd have to question the sanity of anyone who would leave Toyota for Chrysler. And so what if Japan's government did fund Toyota? At least they got their money's worth, and it could be considered an investment, unlike the untold millions the 'big three' have bilked out of the American taxpayer. Get a grip, Jimbo.

12. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did anybody happen to mention that the US Goverment clearly subsidized the development of the Prius by offering a tax rebate on the purchase of new hybrid (Prius)?

Maybe someone should ask Toyota if they deny that the US Goverment helped fund Prius Development :)

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I doubt very much this is true. This guy is in a position where he might be pressured to say something like that. Chrysler is the worse of the bunch with regards to the new CAFE limits, as even their non-SUV/Pickup cash cows are not even close to the mileage requirements. Think Magnum station wagon, and Charger. Only the Caliber is close.

So, he has his retirement on the line here. And being ex Toyota, has a position that some might believe him. But I do not, due to the conflict of interest.

I personally believe that since the Big 3 never came out with a Hybrid, the second stage of the PGNV research only had the first generation Prius to experiment on. So all these papers are about it, AND how to make it better. Specifically, the MG2. So, the key stuff that made the Prius into a wild success was probably not Japanese taxpayer funded, but American tax payer funded. The NREL Advisor vehicle drive traine simulator program (a US funded project) was used by Toyota.

So, domo-origato Japanese taxpayer (if its true) and thank you American taxpayer/Clinton administration for the HSD (from the THS)!

Probably what the real intent of this it whip up some protectionism. Funny that we might see protectionism from the results of our own government funded engineers and physicists!!!!

14. C.RICKEY HIROSE

Nah, in the Iacocca days, The Big Uncle stepped in and puored all the necessary cash to refloat the sanken ship. This time Uncle Sam can do the same, with our tax dollars. I remembered when Iacocca had a Big Check a year later and he said, I told you, Chrysler was in no danger here is the proof. I'm paying back Uncle Sam 4 years earlier...than promissed.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that we funded Prius development. But we've sure given it a heck of a lot of road testing!! :high5:

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How come no one is asking if Honda got Japanese government help for their development of IMA?

17. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're confusing a government incentive that helped an automaker increase profitability, versus government spending to develop a new drivetrain.

The rebates were available for any auto manufacture by the way. You certainly can't blame Toyota for jumping into Hybrids 10 years before the credits ever appeared....

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chrysler dude now retracts his statement. Somehow stating that the Prius was "100% funded by the Japanese Government" was a misstatement and he:
    "Chrysler Vice Chairman Jim Press said Wednesday that he "in no way" meant to suggest the Japanese government improperly subsidized development of batteries for Toyota's popular Prius hybrid.

19. GCBloke

GCBloke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is actually a very strong case for the US Government embarking on an "Apollo Program" for next generation fuel systems, to (a) aid in becoming energy self-sufficient, (b) combat climate change and (c) stimulate innovation and entrepreneurship in the US economy, and retain our global leadership. Such technologies should be commercialized for profit, and can then be used in other countries as they industrialize. Let's shift the current paradigm.

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What tales will this guy tell about Chrysler when he leaves them? Watch out Chrysler.

The Australian government through the CSIRO put a lot of money General Motors way in assisting them to develope the Ecommodore which was a hybrid powered by a 4 cylinder car with similar performance to a 6 cylinder car then General Motors (Holden) shelved the idea.
    Holden unveils ECOmmodore, Australia's first `green' car  -  24/5/00
    Thanks GMH.