1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TOYOTA DEVELOPS ECO-FRIENDLY SHRUB

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Motor Corp., Japan's largest car manufacturer, has developed a new type of cherry sage shrub that can absorb airborne pollutants much more effectively than existing varieties. The automaker plans to commence sales of the eco-friendly plant in March 2006 through Toyota Roof Garden Co., a subsidiary based in Aichi Prefecture, at a retail price of ¥380 ($3.30 at ¥115 to the dollar) a pot.

Smog Eater
    Cherry sage (Salviamicrophylla) is a semi-evergreen shrub with a relatively long flowering period lasting from early summer until the end of autumn. It has an outstanding ability to clean the air and reduce the "heat island" effect - a phenomenon in which the abundance of concrete and lack of greenery in cities results in higher temperatures, increased use of air conditioning, and further pollution. These qualities brought it to the attention of Toyota Motor and led the company to start working on a new variety.

The fruit of the automaker's efforts was a new variety of the plant, which Toyota named Kirsch Pink. According to Toyota Motor, Kirsch Pink is 1.3 times more efficient at absorbing pollutants nitrogen dioxide and sulfur dioxide and reducing the heat island effect than existing varieties. It is 1.2 times better at doing these things than even the fast-growing Kirsch Red, a cherry sage already being sold by Toyota Roof Garden. Toyota Motor asserts that planting Kirsch Pink on the sides of roads and in city parks would improve air quality.

The company plans to market two other plants at the same time as Kirsch Pink. The first is a low-growing Roman chamomile, and the second is an ornamental lavender, both of which can withstand hot summer weather. Greenery that thrives in the heat of summer could play a key role in combating the heat island effect.

Full Article

2. notsure

notsure New Member

Wonder if we will be able to buy them here in the states?

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we'll be finding out in march- will share whatever we find. we'd like to get a few of these!

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Same here. I could creat a little oasis of clean air around our house. :)

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the Knights of Ni come by I will need a shrub! Spamalot

6. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

If only our president was an eco-friendly "shrub".

(Running away ducking...)

- Bob R.

7. Doug

Doug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :rolleyes: If there is any way we, here in the US, can purchase these plants please post it here. I could not find out any info for us USA people that showed how we can get our hands on these plants.

8. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Ahhh thats a great play. I've seen it twice, going a third time in May to see it again.

It is however based on the Monty Python movies...

I'm not dead yet... I feel happy!

I can see myself getting a few of these! Any news yet?