1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota develops self-restoring paint

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tokyo, Japan – Toyota has developed a self-restoring clear-coat paint that it will use on the upcoming, redesigned Lexus LS.

The paint is highly resistant to surface scratches, such as those caused by car wash brushes or fingernails. It requires no special maintenance and helps to prolong colour and gloss.

The new coat features an ingredient that encourages closer molecular bonding, resulting in a denser structure with flexibility and elasticity. This gives it the ability to self-restore after deformation.

Toyota said it also plans to actively continue addressing paint-related environmental issues through steps such as introducing water-based paints on all its vehicle production lines.

CanadianDriver General News Toyota develops self-restoring paint

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Excellent! Toyota continues to lead the world in innovation.

Now when other drivers give me the finger, I can "nuzzle" my paint up against theirs! :D

This shows forward thinking by Toyota ... instead of belling the hybrid, just invent paint that keeps the car scratch free from mindless cellphone-distracted pedestrians.

On a more serious note, this is excellent because I don't know of any car (well, maybe a few) that doesn't have at least a scratch or two. First, Toyota perfected the drivetrain reliability so that Toyotas keep going and going and going, and now they have invented paint that repairs itself from scratches. Before long, a five year old Toyota will not only be just as good as a new Toyota, but it will look as good as well. :)
    SOLD!!!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MB has nano-technology paint that is more resistant to scratching. They came out with that a few years ago. Nissan has self-restoring paint (I think it's on the new Murano). Nissan's one is more recent.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nissan is ahead of Toyota on this one. Vehicle is already in production.
    Sorry, Toyota.