1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota DOES Advocate Higher Fuel Economy Standards

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tmsusa, Oct 12, 2007.

1. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

Corporate Communications for Toyota Motor Sales US
    Hello All -

If you have been reading our blog, Open Road, or the nation's newspaper, you may be aware that we're the target of what we feel is an unfair attack by environmental groups claiming that Toyota is actively opposing legislation that would require automakers to raise their corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) numbers significantly higher. That is just so much codswallop. In fact, we put out a call to action recently in our blog asking for readers to write their elected representatives and demand increased fuel economy standards.

Without going into lengthy detail about our efforts with respect to improved fuel economy and lower emissions, I wanted to share with PriusChat members a letter that we are sending to those individuals who are uncertain of Toyota's real agenda on this hot topic. The truth is we at Toyota want new CAFE standards. We want to move forward with fuel economy.

<span style="font-family:Georgia">Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. regarding your concerns with Toyota’s position on federally mandated fuel economy increases.

We share your interest in strengthening automotive fuel economy and, in fact, are actively lobbying for a significant increase in the Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards (CAFÉ). Any assertion by anyone or any one website or blog that we are doing otherwise, is simply not true.

There are various bills before Congress that would mandate new CAFÉ targets by 2020 and require both cars and trucks to meet that standard. At Toyota, we favor proposed legislation known as H.R. 2927, the Hill-Terry bill. This measure is aggressive and calls for increases in CAFÉ by as much as 40% by 2022. Although this won’t be easy, we believe it is achievable. The bill maintains separate categories for cars and trucks.

Please also note the following:
    • Toyota has always exceeded federal fuel economy requirements, and our passenger car line-up has the highest CAFÉ rating in the automotive industry.
    • Toyota is the only major automaker to consistently improve global warming performance since 2001, thanks to hybrids and better conventional technology.
    • We’re totally committed to ongoing improvement of fuel economy and emissions in all of our vehicles. In fact, our commitment to this is so deep, we spend $23 million every day on green initiatives and research.
    We are continuously striving to improve our fuel economy, regardless of federal mandates.

So please understand that we, too, strongly support increased fuel economy standards. It’s the right thing to do—and, we hope that we’ve been able to provide a little more insight into our environmental commitments and actions.

To learn more, please visit our corporate blog and see our recent posts re this topic at http://blog.toyota.com/2007/10/post.html and at http://blog.toyota.com/2007/09/irvs-sheet-a-ca.html.

Thank you for your interest in Toyota and the environment.

Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
    Corporate Communications</span>

2. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TMS USA @ Oct 12 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]524704[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for stating Toyota's position. Keep up the good work - I for won voted with my dollars on fuel economy and the environment. When the time comes again, I will be voting with those dollars again based upon those same criteria.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good. Thanks TMS for clearing things up. However I take no side in this issue since I haven't really been reading up on the allegations so I'm sure someone else on PC can probably give more insight on the issue.

I do hope that Toyota can raise its light duty truck CAFE standards. To have a fun vehicle like the FJ Cruiser is great but it can be criticised for its poor fuel economy (not good esp. if you're in the wilderness.. although technically you should carry a jerry can). Can we assume you guys are working on that front?

Oh and while you're here, any word on an HSD minivan? ;) hint hint...

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Toyota would impress lots of hearts and minds if they lobbied to lump ALL vehicles even remotely used for personal purposes into the 'car' category. This would leave 'real' trucks like dump trucks, semis etc as the only vehicles left in the 'major polluter' category. Enough with exempting SUVs, pick-ups, vans? etc. which are used mostly as a 'car' but still exempt from more stringent controls. If Toyota wants to be an industry leader then LEAD.

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Oct 12 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]524738[/snapback]</div>
    Well said, and unusally concise ;)

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for posting where it matters...and for a human response (e.g. "That is just so much codswallop.") rather than the bland statements of some corporate PR departments. Now we know a real individual will read these responses at TMS USA.

(P.S. What is the Japanese word for codswallop?)

7. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I regard fuel economy laws as a minimum standard only. As consumers we should always demand better fuel economy and vote with our wallets. The manufacturers will soon tweak on to this and improve their vehicles beyond what the law demands.

Consumer buying power is a very strong force.