1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Doubts WideSpread Acceptance of Plug-In Hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by 1SMUGLEX, May 22, 2009.

1. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.motorauthority.com/toyota-doubts-widespread-acceptance-of-plug-in-hybrids.html

The idea that plug-in hybrids aren't all they're cracked up to be isn't a new one. Carnegie Mellon University has even published a study that calls the technology inefficient and cost-prohibitive. Now it looks like Toyota may be in agreement, saying it doesn't expect more than 50,000 plug-in hybrid sales a year - across the entire industry.

That's a tiny amount compared to even the Toyota Prius, which alone sold almost 160,000 copies in 2008. The gloomy outlook on plug-in hybrid sales is based on their high price, long recharge times and durability issues with their battery-dependent systems, Bill Reinert, Toyota's U.S. manager for advanced technology, told the National Academy of Sciences panel in Washington today.

A Bloomberg report also highlights the relationship between fuel prices and interest in hybrids, particularly plug-in hybrids, which can escape the need for fuel altogether under certain circumstances.

General Motors has previously made its disagreement with such assessments of plug-in hybrid technology known, saying that expense alone isn't always a problem for buyers of hybrids. There is ideological motivation behind the purchase, or at least a social motivation.

And beyond that, it will be difficult to achieve the newly announced national fuel efficiency standards' rapid rises without some form of more advanced powertrain technology. Carnegie Mellon's study found that using smaller battery packs that provide just 7-12mi range on electricity would yield the ultimate balance of efficiency and cost.

Toyota is still expected to release its own plug-in hybrid by late 2009 or early 2010 according to the latest reports, however, and testing of the vehicles is already underway.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why? Because people are lazy and don't want to plug it in?

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There is a high percentage of potential buyers lives in apartments and condos that does not have a garage to plugin.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    PRICE is by far the biggest concern.

It's nice that they the battery-packs are becoming big & robust enough for mainstream use, but how much they cost to produce is just plain too expensive still.

5. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think it must be extra cost. If a plug-in hybrid were available, it might make home-based solar photovolatic more econimcally feasible. In my case, average electricity consumption is on the order of 7 kwh/day. Thus, solar PV makes no economic sense. However, I think that would change if I were charging a car.

Of course, this would also depend on the arrangement with the local power company. Currently in CA, the utility does not buy the extra energy generated by a home PV system.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CE Otsuka said Lithium costs 3-4 times more than NiMH.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. How would it work in crowded cities like NY or Tokyo?

8. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Let's get some on the market and find out.

9. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always been of this opinion as well. I'm of the firm belief that plugins will be oddities until the price drops such that Joan and John Lunchpail can drive them affordably.

The 'traditional' hybrids will be mainstream for a long time to come IMO. NiMH is so cost effective now and so dependable that there's going to have to be a HUGE cost savings for any plugin to make inroads.

Then as noted above there are huge sections of the population that simply can't use a plugin vehicle of any kind. That's not the case with a 'traditional' hybrid.

10. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok Guys,

What is the real energy cost per mile of plug-in vs. using gasoline???

If a gasoline powered Prius gets 50 MPG and gas costs $ 2.50 / gallon (current price here in Northern California), then the fuel (energy) cost is 5 cents per mile.

Now here in Northern California, PG&E charges residential customers using a graduated pricing formula. Our baseline costs is only 11.531 cents per KWH (Kilo-Watt Hour) for the first 378 KWH per month. However we, like most consumers, use more than our baseline allocation. Now if we had a plug-in Prius, we would consume electricity (charge the batteries) at a premium rate and would pay PG&E 25.974 cents per KWH. So the question is, "in typical driving, how many KWH are required for a plug-in Prius to drive 1 mile?"

Keith

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yep :).

and its based on real life figures from people driving these plugins. Now, i am sure that at begining, a lot of new buyers will be educated and willing to charge it properly, but once pool of those dries up, this actually shows how many people would use it as they should.

and inactual cities like europe and asia, it would be impossible to charge them as people dont live in houses but apartments.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <sigh>

so it's like people who get seat heaters but don't let the passengers use it

or those who get a moonroof but keep the sunshade permanently closed.

13. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There is a sizable, viable market for those who would use it properly. There certainly are a bunch of lazy drivers, but there are a bunch of smart drivers just waiting for the auto industry to provide something they can use. It just gets old hearing how "everyone" falls in the mold of the inert masses....and how an electric or PHEV will fail.

14. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They are nuts! Plug-In Hybrid makes the most sense to me. Have you watched that rather pathetic slideshow of the Tesla going to Yosemite? It's painful to watch a $90K hot looking roadster forced to nurse its way along a 150 mile trip. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic car, but all electric is severely limited in range, while the PIH would have great range AND the ability to do short commutes on all electric power. What's not to love about the concept except the $$ part of the equation.

Lee

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, i really really REALLY hate to say this, but i have to agree. the expense of having 3 systems is simply too much. its one thing to have battery-assisted power like in the Pri to get better gas mileage and lets face it, as we all know, just doing that is no easy feat... for proof, ask the other companies that have tried to copy but have failed, some in spectacular fashion.

another thing is the fact that decent battery technology struggles to provide an acceptable range but still at a premium price, so before we look at plug in technology we pretty much have to have a plug in network first.

so we are looking currently at a solution that will be north of $30,000 which means it a niche product only.

now with a possible emerging technology provided by eestor and others, this might make the entire conversation academic.

previous to now, i have always said i would accept as little as a 10 mile EV range simply because it works for me, but i began to realize the cost of even that little and how unique my situation is and that prices will not be acceptable unless it can be marketed to a much greater number of people. so all in all, i have to agree, until a major technological breakthru in charge storage comes through, its simply technology that will be next to Tesla, cool but simply out of the range of average people

16. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If (and when) gas goes above $4 a gallon, people will get less lazy real fast once they find out that even a short range plug-in hybrid (10 miles) will get more than 75mpg for most drivers. Throw gas shortages (gas lines) into the equation, and drivers will be even more motivated to only have to fill up one a month if they own a short range plug-in hybrid.

As for the cost to 'fill up' a plug-in hybrid. Typical cost assuming that you recharge overnight will be less than the equivalent of $1 a gallon of gas. Drivers miss the good old days of gas being cheaper than $1 a gallon. Well, with a plug-in hybrid, the days of cheap 'gas' will be back.

1 person likes this.
  17. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can you elaborate on that please?
    Can it zero out your meter consumption?

18. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And, even if they owned those apartments, or homes, garages are rarity from what I have seen.

19. TempusFugit

TempusFugit Prius 06, IV 10 & four 11

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Catholic church didn't believe Copernicus, and felt the idea that the earth was not the center of the Solar System would never catch on either.

Time will tell...

20. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's all about price, not the technology. The price of gas, and the price of the car.
    $4 gas again, you won't be able to steal a hybrid. The cheaper the gas, the more important the hybrid price. It has nothing to do with plug-ins, batteries, etc. It is marketing 101.

My hunch is the government will eventually steer the market to hybrids in the next few years. That means don't spend big bucks on an ICE car now.