1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota employee works to death.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071130/lf_nm_life/japan_overwork_dc_1

"A Toyota Motor Corp employee died of overwork after logging more than 106 hours of overtime in a month, a judge ruled on Friday, reversing a ministry's earlier decision not to pay compensation to his widow."

I believe in Japan workers often put in overtime off the clock.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    assuming a 40 hour work week there, that's 66.5 hours a week. that was an average week for DH when he worked in dealer service :eek: and no overtime with flat rate either.

3. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    At my last job, I once worked as many as 13 consecutive 12-hour days. I quite regularly worked 5-6 day's at a time like that. There were many people that had worked 7 days a week for 6 months or more at a time. I really don't miss that job at all.:) I finally realized that my family were some very cool people to actually hang out with.:D

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Teachers typically put in a 50-60 hour week doing lesson plans and grading papers in the evenings and on weekends. Also attending conferences, workshops and classes.

I worked 12 hour days the week 6th graders go to camp. That is not voluntary. If you teach sixth grade, you have to go to camp. Pay for your own child care. Pay to kennel your dog. You go. No exceptions. You get up at 6 am to eat with the students, you supervise them all day, you eat lunch and dinner with them. And if there are any after dinner activities, you supervise those too.

No extra pay. It's "expected".

One teacher was still breast-feeding when camp week came and the principal wouldn't excuse her from going. She had to find another teacher on campus willing to go in her place. Luckily she did.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i will admit i've seen his health go down the drain since taking jobs like that... he has also worked jobs where he was literally working for 3 days straight, no sleep.

people were not meant to work like that. it does kill you, sometimes faster and sometimes slower.

6. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ..and then you have the football or basketball coach at the nearby college paid an obscene salary that becomes an insult to any descent human when its compared to what a tenured professor makes.
    ...or the prison guards making more than the school teachers.