1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Endo smart mini

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by hb06, Nov 9, 2006.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Bloomberg quotes Lentz, saying that a smaller (and more efficient) cousin of the Prius would fit with “a trend toward people moving into inner-city lofts.''

http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/feature/concept+car/561/1

"With DaimlerChrysler's Smart brand set for a major US push, it's no intuitive leap to imagine ToMoCo planning a competitor for the Fortwo."

"That means either the Endo will either replace the Aygo eventually, slot in above it as a premium-class small car, or be a distinctly American offering. Hmm .."

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/gossip/build-...umor-210260.php

Conceptcarz.com points out that the Endo epitomizes the Toyota concept of Vibrant Clarity, and Edmunds seems pleased with the fact that the Endo is about the same size as a SMART car, but seats four.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z10289/default.aspx

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way, when I saw the concept year ago (or whenever it was first unveiled), I thought it was rather cool. To be honest, I like the smart car concept but I don't like how the smart car is made. The plastic doors honestly feel like I'm closing the door on a Little Tikes car. The magnesium seat frames is a good idea as a slim, lightweight solution. The handbrake has to be the longest handbrake I've ever seen and I wished they had more cargo room (front legroom is excessive so they could cut down a bit and still offer limo-like legroom with more cargo).

The Endo looks much more stylish and given it's a Toyota, I'd expect it to be better made. I also hope the plastics are of higher quality or at least made to feel more expensive (like the Echo) cause the Yaris plastic interior isn't too appealing.

3. roadwarrior

roadwarrior New Member

The reviews i have seen on the Aygo are very positive, both good build quality as milage. Dont buy a Smart, horror stories about build quality, maintenance fees, parts cost, not to mention the trade in value is about as bad as it can get.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

In Canada we have both the smartfortwo and the Prius and I can tell you the depreciation on the Prius is as bad as the smart. 37K for a Prius and a year later 26K smartfortwo 24K and a year later 19K. no difference on dollar issues. :huh:

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Dec 25 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]366519[/snapback]</div>
    The problem with the stupid BB is that it doesn't differentiate between the Prius models. It doesn't take into account VSC and side airbags on the upper models. Therefore whether you bought the base model or the nav model, you get the same used car price :blink:

6. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guppy @ Dec 25 2006, 03:43 AM) [snapback]366481[/snapback]</div>
    I went with a friend who was looking at a Smart (she thought it was "cute") - and I was considerably less than impressed. At $10-15k, it would be reasonable, at $25k, it's a ripoff. Plasticy interior felt less than durable - seats provide good legroom, but feels cramped side-to-side - almost no cargo space.

Dave

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG @ Dec 25 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]366528[/snapback]</div>
    Starts at$16k for the Pure. It has no A/C....

At $22k for the Passion model (loaded with opt. leather.. of which I'm doubtful of the quality), you can plenty of well-equipped compacts for that price. Hell, a Nissan Versa subcompact (although it could very well be a compact given its interior dimensions) is loaded with waay more features for $21k.

There is a smart Grande version for $25k... ouch! It comes in the special dark green colour.

In short, I think the smart is a great idea. I'm just disappointed Mercedes didn't go full on with the project and seem to do a half-*** job. Some people here even have the nerve to put Mercedes emblems on the front and rear of the smart... They may think they have people fooled but all they're doing is showing how ignorant they can be.. $20k for a Mercedes.. they wish.