1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota extended warranty for certified used Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cstone94, Nov 6, 2010.

1. cstone94

cstone94 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings. I've just purchased a used 2007 Prius with about 45,000 miles from the Toyota certified vehicle program.

I've been offered an extended warranty for about $2,000. I generally decline extended warranties when purchasing electronics, but I don't know about used Priuses. The dealer, of course, argued that the warranty is wise because "Prius is Toyota's most complex car" and "99% of buyers get one." He's given me the weekend to decide whether I want the warranty.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. MuttleyHybrid

MuttleyHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the Platinum Toyota 100k warranty on my certified 08 Prius with 58,000 miles back in May, but got it for $895.00. These warrantees are negotiable in price. I have read other posts on Priuschat with prices for this Platinum warranty ranging from $800 and up, so keep this in mine when deciding whether you want the warranty.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My understanding is the official Toyota extended warranty is only available to units still under the original 3yr/36k mile limit whichever comes first.

So, either the one being offered to you is from another company (and that warranty is only as sound/good as they are) OR Toyota is waiving the 3/36 rule for its certified units. You better find out.

4. Pinstripesdumbo

Pinstripesdumbo First "new" car

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I declined it because I felt that they were rushing me to do it. Plus, I figured the certified program allowed me to fix the most important parts of my car - the engine, transmission, and electric motor - for 100K.

That said, I wonder if I made the right choice. I also grew up in a family that has several mechanics, so they told me it wasn't worth it.