1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

toyota extra care warrant and pre paid servicing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by carwashguy, Oct 4, 2007.

1. carwashguy

carwashguy Junior Member

Ok i bought my cat. 4 prius two months ago and paid $2,579.00 for the toyota platinum extra care warranty and an additional $1093.00 for all the premium servicing up front for all servicing. DID I GET RIPPED OFF?

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carwashguy @ Oct 4 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]521128[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, unfortunately. On the warranty you paid around $1600 too much. I don't know about the up front servicing plan.

The Toyota Platinum Extra Care Warranty 7 years / 100,000 miles / 0$ deductible has a current MSRP of $1850 (go to ToyotaFinancial.com to see all the warranty plans -- they call them Vehicle Service Agreements --- and MSRPs), and PriusChat (through WarrantyShack, i.e., Troy at Toyota of Greenfield, Mass.) sells it for $990.

If I were you, I would immediately inquire about canceling the warranty and getting a full or pro rata refund. You should still be able to come out way ahead by canceling your warranty now, getting a refund, and buying it instead from PriusChat.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. They're both a waste of money. Cancel them if possible. An extended warranty is just an insurance policy which makes a profit for the seller, not for you. Pre-paid maintenance is even worse: it locks you into always going to that same dealer.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 4 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]521337[/snapback]</div>
    This is not completely accurate. If he purchased a pre-paid maintenance plan issued by Toyota, the coupons are valid at most Toyota dealers, not just the selling dealer. In any event, the OP overpaid for both plans.

5. Blue Hoosier

Blue Hoosier New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, you paid way too much. As stated, you can get the same Platinum Extra Care Extended Warranty for $990.00 and the Prepaid Maintenance Plan for $870 (I think). Go to the top of this page to Prius Accessories. When you click on it, they will give you the option of the Extended Warranty. Some people have had trouble getting into it, so if you have trouble, you can e-mail Troy Dietrich at [email protected] or call him at Toyota of Greenfield, (413) 772-0989. This is a Toyota dealer so this warranty is valid at every Toyota dealer in the country.

If you contact your dealer and tell them you want to cancel your two plans, they will probably give you a prorated rebate which will more than pay for the new plans stated above.

6. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is there a time period for cancellation? I bought August 31st and apparently got ripped off too! :(

7. RGray

RGray Junior Member

8. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rgray @ Oct 5 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]521724[/snapback]</div>
    Is this some kind of joke? Not funny.

9. Blue Hoosier

Blue Hoosier New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Oct 5 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]521563[/snapback]</div>
    Don't think there is a time period for cancellation. The only way to tell is call your dealer and find out. They probably will prorate the fees and give you the rest back. Let us know what you find out.

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Oct 4 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]521563[/snapback]</div>
    You should be able to cancel at any time. If I recall correctly, though, the 100% refund (less a $25 cancellation fee!) is available only during the first 30 days. Just follow the instructions that come with your warranty. I cancelled mine within 30 days, and I received my money back about 10 days later (less the $25). I had to go back to the dealer to get it done, and I sat through the obligatory "Why would you cancel this warranty?" When I said I was ticked off that they charged me so much, the dealer rhetoric toned down, and they quickly and efficiently processed the cancellation. (This applies to the Toyota Platinum "warranty".)