1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota extra care

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by muzicman, May 30, 2007.

1. muzicman

muzicman New Member

I just recently puchased a 2007 Prius the Financial person sold us a Toyota Extra Care package of 7 years and 100,000 miles. I later found out that you could pay a lot less then I paid. ($3,500). I was going to cancel and he said that once you cancel, you cannot purchase another warrenty.

Does anyone know more about this?

2. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    All those packages are a waste of money. Cancel it, put the money in the bank and don't lood back. Get your vehicle serviced by your friendly independant mechanic.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(muzicman @ May 30 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]452271[/snapback]</div>
    You can cancel and then re-purchase the extended warranty at a discount from Troy.

Take a look at this thread: Discounted Extended Warranty

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(muzicman @ May 30 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]452271[/snapback]</div>

Wow, your dealer really screwed you. Please do yourself a favor and follow the instructions in the link IsrAmeriPrius posted to get a warranty quote through WarrantyShack.

5. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(muzicman @ May 30 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]452271[/snapback]</div>
    OMG! you got RIPPED off!!!!!! even my dealer was giving me a "deal" at about $1700..... i just said "no thank you" because i already knew about the great offer from here!

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope at least the dealer offered you a cigarette after he sold you that....

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are basically betting that your repair bills, not including wear-items like brakes, will be greater than $3500 over a four year period (or 64000 miles, which ever comes first). That's just the point when you break even. To make such a large upfront payment worthwhile, you would really need over $4000 in repairs during the extended warranty period.

You are far more likely to have less than $3500 in repairs on a less than 100,000 mile car than you are likely to have more than $3500 in repairs.

I say dump it and don't even bother buying a cheaper one.

8. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

Don't feel bad.

I too got screwed on my warranty (paid a whopping $2,200 for the full 100,000 warranty), BUT I got an 07 Touring Prius with leather, Package 5 and some extra options for $26,000 and some change, and they gave me alot more than expected for my gas hogging SUV, so overall I think I got an ok deal (even with being ripped by almost a grand on the warranty, vs. Toyota MSRP).

I figure I could cancel the warranty I bought, and gain just over $1,000, but in the long run, it's not worth the hassle to me. If the dealer gives you a price to good to be true on your trade-in and new car, they have to make it up somewhere!

9. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

wow.... you must have lots of money to burn, brattygurl.... i know i'd be making a simple phone call asking to have that canceled if i knew i was going to save OVER $1000..... that few minutes on the phone would DEFINITELY be worth that kind of money! (and they decided the price of the car and your trade in before they ever knew they could rape you on the extended warranty)

they saw you coming..................... :blink:

and your dog is ADORABLE (i'm assuming that's your dog in your avatar?)

10. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ May 31 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]452799[/snapback]</div>
    I have two (and sometimes three) weims. That weim is an avatar from this site; however, he looks just like my male, Gus. I need to post the pic I have of all three of them with Santa from last year. It's priceless!

11. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebrattygurl @ May 31 2007, 02:33 PM) [snapback]452839[/snapback]</div>
    oh please do!!!!!!! we should start a "show a picture of your pet(s)" in the open topic (fred's house of pancakes! lol!) if there isn't one there already!!!!!!