1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota "factory" ipod integration?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by foobarro, Jan 2, 2007.

1. foobarro

foobarro New Member

I'm a proud new 2007 package 5 owner - now researching my various iPod integration options. So far, most of what I've seen out there (Dice, Vais) leaves a lot to be desired. The Valor iLink looks interesting, but I don't like the idea of a separate remote, and would rather use the steering wheel or touchscreen controls.

I thought I read somewhere online that from 2007 forward that Toyota was going to offer "factory" iPod integration. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, where can I find out more about it?

Thanks in advance...

2. hilde

hilde New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foobarro @ Jan 2 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]369892[/snapback]</div>
    All you need is a cable with two similar plugs that you plug into the ipod headphone and the other end goes into the aux plug on the passenger side inside the center console. You can get them in any length at Radio Shack or a computer store and it works seamlessly with the radio. Just press AUX when the radio is on and you are good to go.
    hilde

3. foobarro

foobarro New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hilde @ Jan 3 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]370130[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the reply, but I know that level of integration already.

I'm talking about being able to control all the functions of the iPod from the steering wheel/MFD. Dice and Vais have products that seem just OK, but I don't like their limitation of how to browse my collection; for example, I routinely like to look for tracks by artist first, then album; Vais forces me to create playlists for everything, and Dice only allows selection by song, playlist, album or chapter; not artist. Valor's (Coastal) iLink seems to have it right, in that I can browse by all the methods that I can on the iPod itself, but then it's got that separate remote that I don't really desire. And finally, none of them seem to have the ability to show the album art up on the screen, in addition to the song/artist/album info...

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota already offers iPod integration in Canada at a hefty Cdn$339

5. foobarro

foobarro New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 4 2007, 01:08 AM) [snapback]370601[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that info - do you have any details on the functionality of what is installed?

6. jbebel

jbebel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foobarro @ Jan 4 2007, 06:12 AM) [snapback]370675[/snapback]</div>
    I see mention of it on this page:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Hook-up-an-iPod-in-a-Prius
    but no details. I'm curious as well, as I'd like to see the best ipod integration in my 2007 prius. If you find out any more about this outside of this thread, let me know.

7. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foobarro @ Jan 3 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]370192[/snapback]</div>
    All of these interfaces are limited by the radio and what it can understand. Until Toyota adds iPod support we are limited to having an iPod emulate a SAT, CD/MD changer or MP3 Disc.

8. jbebel

jbebel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Jan 4 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]370877[/snapback]</div>

True... but that's why we were interested in the possibility/rumor of TOYOTA offering ipod integration for the 2007 prius. They might do a better job of integration.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foobarro @ Jan 4 2007, 06:12 AM) [snapback]370675[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately I don't. The website doesn't give any explanation at all. I just assumed all iPod kits were similar. After reading your post, I guess not.

10. jd.buchanan

jd.buchanan Electric Mayhem

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The funny thing is, my son just bought a 2006 Scion xB, and it has true iPod integration built in. There is an AUX input, AND an iPod input with a cable that came with the car. When he plugs in his iPod, the iPod screen says SCION on it, and the iPod controls are disabled. He can only control the device through the radio controls or the steering wheel controls. When he disconnects the iPod, the in dash audio screen displays "bye-bye, iPod". I was really jealous when I saw how well Toyota made this work on his $16,000 Scion, and they didn't offer the same thing on my Prius.

11. foobarro

foobarro New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbebel @ Jan 4 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]370791[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly, that's the same page that got me originally started on this thread - the bit on the page that says "Note: If you have a 2007 or later model Prius, there is an iPod interface upgrade available for the car, that you can have dealer installed" is what I can't find any info about....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Electric Mayhem @ Jan 4 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]371048[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting - do you happen to know what kind of radio is in that Scion? And do you know if it allows the flexibility in searching the iPod's collection that I alluded to in my original post? If so, then yeah, that's the level of integration I was really hoping for!

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Electric Mayhem @ Jan 4 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]371048[/snapback]</div>
    There's some questions. What does he see as a display? What can he scroll through? How is it done?

13. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jan 5 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]371222[/snapback]</div>
    There's a picture of the stereo with it's green display line and and a brief description of functionality at http://www.scion.com/showroom/xa/accessories/ Note, you'll need to click on Sound Systems then the Pioneer option after following the link.

Do wish Toyota had implemented something as functional in the Prius, but given the price point/college market for Scions, it probably made a lot more sense to implement it there.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foobarro @ Jan 5 2007, 04:56 AM) [snapback]371186[/snapback]</div>
    Scions use a Pioneer radio.

15. jd.buchanan

jd.buchanan Electric Mayhem

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There's some questions. What does he see as a display? What can he scroll through? How is it done?

16. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 5 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]371285[/snapback]</div>
    I watched the demo video on the webpage. Very nice unit, very well designed, very intuitive. Sorry, Prius owners may be older, but no less likely an iPod user than Scion owners. Definitely should integrate this into the Prius system. Also, the demo shows that you can go up or down the track list.

17. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xraynano @ Jan 6 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]371798[/snapback]</div>
    I went there, but didn't see the link for the demo video.

18. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jan 6 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]371801[/snapback]</div>
    It is on the page for the description of the Pioneer unit (see navigation instructions in earlier post). The link to the video is on the lower left, below the picture.

19. foobarro

foobarro New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 5 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]371285[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for this link - yes, this is basically what I was hoping for in terms of functionality - and if they had integrated it into the MFD in the Prius, it would have been even better, as they wouldn't have been screen real estate challenged as they are in the Scion..

C'mon Toyota!!

20. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xraynano @ Jan 6 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]371806[/snapback]</div>
    The only video link I found below the picture was for the television spots.