1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota factory turns landscape to arid wilderness

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bh696, Nov 23, 2006.

1. bh696

bh696 New Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Toyota factory turns landscape to arid wilderness
    By MARTIN DELGADO, Mail on Sunday Last updated at 22:36pm on 18th November 2006

Comments Reader comments (9)
    The 'green-living' Toyota Prius has become the ultimate statement for those seeking to stress their commitment to the environment.

However, the environment-saving credentials of the cars are seriously undermined by the disclosure that one of the car's essential components is produced at a factory that has created devastation likened to the arid environment of the moon.

So many plants and trees around the factory at Sudbury in Ontario, Canada, have died that astronauts from Nasa practised driving moon buggies on the outskirts of the city because it was considered the closest thing on earth to the rocky lunar landscape.

[Picture of tortured landscape goes here]

Unlike normal cars, hybrids such as the Prius, whose proud owners include Gwyneth Paltrow, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts and ex-Tory leader Michael Howard, are powered by a battery that contains nickel - as well as a traditional petrol engine.

Toyota gets the metal from a Canadian company whose smelting facility at Sudbury has spewed sulphur dioxide into the air for more than a century.

The car giant buys about 1,000 tons a year from the plant, which is owned by Inco, one of the world's largest nickel-mining companies.

Fumes emerging from the factory are so poisonous that they have destroyed vegetation in the surrounding countryside, turning the once-beautiful landscape into the bare, rocky terrain astronauts might expect to find in outer space.

Although efforts have been made in recent years to reduce emissions from the plant's 1,250ft chimney - dubbed the Superstack - campaigners say the factory is still respon-sible for some of the worst pollution in North America.

David Martin, energy co-ordinator of Greenpeace Canada, said: "The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside.

"The solution they came up with was the Superstack. The idea was to dilute the pollution, but all it did was spread the fallout right across northern Ontario. Things improved in the Nineties but the plant is still responsible for large-scale emissions of sulphur dioxide.

"Sudbury remains a major environmental and health problem. The environmental cost of producing that car battery is pretty high."

Once the nickel is smelted it is sent 10,000 miles on a container ship journey which in itself consumes vast quantities of fuel and energy.

First it is shipped to Europe's biggest nickel refinery at Clydach near Swansea, South Wales. From there it is transported to the Chinese cities of Dalian and Shenyang to be turned into a lightweight substance called nickel foam.

The final stage of the manufacturing process takes place in Japan where the Prius batteries are made.

Toyota produced nearly 180,000 Prius cars last year, some 4,000 of which were sold in Britain. Last week 14 MPs from all parties claimed they had exchanged their petrol-guzzling vehicles for a Prius or similar hybrid.

But some experts doubt whether the Prius even wins the argument over fuel consumption.

Robert Fowler, of the Battery Vehicle Association, said: "It is questionable whether it does any more miles to the gallon than a good diesel.

"The hybrid system has a very small battery so most of the time it's operating as a petrol car, particularly out of town and above 30mph."

A Toyota spokesman said last night: "I cannot confirm the source of the nickel used in the Prius battery. It is true there is a slight increase in the energy required to produce the materials for the car."

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh, Yea, and the Prius has been made for a century now. From the above article:

"from a Canadian company whose smelting facility at Sudbury has spewed sulphur dioxide into the air for more than a century."

He could have titled this article "Eating Utensiles, Surgical tools, Railway Cariages, Jet Engines and Stainless Steel turns landscape into Poisoned Wasteland", but I guess that the reporter would not have been as well rewarded for a more truthful attitude. Ever wonder why your spoon you are eating your cerial with does not rust ? Nickel !

This guy is either a technological ignoramous, a journalistic incompetent (did not do his research) or a tool of the status quo intent on a hatchet job.

There is no mention of the total life cycle evaluation of materials that Toyota does. Nor the fact that they have built a factory to recycle the batteries to avoid having to mine more nickel. Or that most cars have stainless steel exhausts systems now, and for about at least 15 years. Or that Toyota has already said they are changing to Lithium Ion batteries. Or even that allot of those continous web processed solar cells going on German roof tops are deposited on, you guessed it, stainless steel. Or that chemical plants, including Oil Refineries are forrests of stainless steel piping.

Here is a link with some background on stainless steel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel . Check out the totals on the St. Louis Gateway arch and Petronis tower - there are few Prius batteries worth of Nickel! Let alone all the railway cars (Budd Industries). Each aircraft turbine engine has a good amount of nickel in it - the superalloys in turbine blades are nickel based, with smaller amounts of alloying metals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superalloy

3. bh696

bh696 New Member

What about the fact that a CRX from the early - mid 90's gets better gas mileage than your prius?

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah there was the GeoMetro also but both cars are considerably smaller than our Prius. I suppose if they made a hybrid version of those we would get around 70-80 mpg but then how many people would buy them? The Honda Insight is not very versitile. I got the Prius because it was a compromise between a large passenger vehicle and a small commuter car.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bh696 @ Nov 23 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]353632[/snapback]</div>
    What about the supermileage cars that high school students make that get better mileage than a CRX? or for any car on earth for that matter.

6. bh696

bh696 New Member

i don't know. are they as practical as a crx? can they operate off of something as commonly available as gasoline? can they last for more than 300k miles with only regular maintenance? can they run 110 mph on the highway with relatively good acceleration?

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First of all, there are plenty of threads debating the credentials of various cars. This is not the place for that. This thread (if you didn't notice the title) is not about comparing cars but rather about pollution around a smelting plant. bh696, you should know this since you started the thread. Also, why do you ask about "your Prius" when your ID indicates that you drive an '07 Prius. Why not say, "my Prius"?

The title of the article has these two words: "Toyota factory".
    In the article itself you find these, "Toyota gets the metal from a Canadian company...which is owned by Inco..."
    What part of that proves that it is, indeed, a "Toyota Plant"?

Is Toyota the only purchaser of the Nickel smelted there? Has Toyota been their sole customer for one hundred years? Why is this article only attacking Toyota as the user of nickel?

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Troll alert

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Nov 23 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]353642[/snapback]</div>
    I drove a Geo Metro for a number of years and on the highway it did get ~55 mpg (although back when I was driving it on the highway, the speed limit may have been 55 mph), however, the power and space in the Prius vastly exceeds that of the Geo Metro. After all, it had a 1.0 liter 3 cylinder engine. Not a bad little car, but I'd never take it back in place of my Prius. I doubt that the overall mileage of the Metro was as good as the overall mileage of the Prius.

Dave M.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bh696 @ Nov 24 2006, 02:37 AM) [snapback]353659[/snapback]</div>
    It runs off petrol.

Same can be said about the CRX. Yeah, it's a hatchback but can it sit 5 comfortably? It doesn't have half the features of a Prius anyway and the emissions are off the scale (that applies to any 80s and early 90s cars too).

Hell, our 02 Camry (157hp 2.4 litre) that's bigger, heavier, more powerful and more luxurious is more efficient than our 1997 Corolla (100hp 1.6 litre).

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I find it really humours that the Canadian Nickel was the cause of the landscape destruction and the Prius takes the blame. How "F'n" stupid is the author of this article.

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't feed the troll. Go back under your bridge, troll! It's not even a Toyota plant. It's a nickel smelting plant. Nobody knows if Toyota bought nickel from that plant.

Nate

13. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Does this mean we should boycott the 5¢ coin, AKA the "nickel?" ;) :blink:

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Of the annual global production of nickel, about 0.3% goes into Prius NiMH batteries, as near as I can figure. It is perhaps of interest that these batteries are expected to be a high percentage recycled, when they eventually lose their capacity. So it might be argued that these batteries 'demand-neutral'. In any event one would be foolish to not recycle them, given the current (and rising) price of the metal.

Also of interest is that this minor use of nickel is one that actually reduces downstream pollution, as they are used to make combustion engine vehicles less polluting. Perhaps there are other (even larger) applications of nickel in pollution reduction? None immediately come to my mind.

Meanwhile, the nickel industry is struggling to keep up with demand, primarily for stainless steel. New mines planned or being developed are mainly in tropical areas that I personally would prefer to see not cleared. However even after hybrid vehicles change to lithium based batteries, the demand for stainless steel will continue, and said forests are almost certainly doomed. Kind of a shame.

The shame rests with all of us for being profligate consumers I suppose. Mining and smelting and combustion drive the 'engines of economic development', at least this is the past and present of development. But to lay it at the feet of hybrid vehicles makes no sense to me.

Might add that steel production is not the world's cleanest industry either. So one could consider the larger numbers of sport utility vehicles that seem much heavier than actually required for most of their buyers. Steel from vehicles is currently about 70% recycled so it is not a "leak-free" cycle. Not the cleanest in terms of air pollution. I could go on...

Pick your own products to hate, but choose wisely.

15. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Daily Mail newspaper has lowered itself over the years to become a rag that's a point away from gutter press - those that have to rely on journalistic sensationalism to sell papers - or if there isn't any news, invent it.
    I stopped reading the Mail about 12 years ago.
    Anyhow, if the 'writer' had been worth his salt he would have tempered his article with some of the points made above !

16. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 25 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]353963[/snapback]</div>
    up untill about 1967 or 8 somewhere around there the "nickel" was actually nickel, but when the price jumped around then the coin was worth more for the nickel than the coin value, and there was a great bussiness in taking them out of circulation and melting them down for items like jewelery and plating etc. so the government decided to replace the nickel "nickel" with an alloy coin. You still finded them every now and then in your change but for the most part they're long gone. In 1974 I had a neighbour in the north that actually had his furnace weighted down with bags and bags of them. Then as the Hunt brothers tried to corner the nickel market he unloaded them.

17. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Nov 25 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]354040[/snapback]</div>
    Somewhat off topic, but nickel is a ferromagnetic material and I have some very strong magnets (about 1.2 T) that make great stud finders. Within an inch of a nail, they practically jump to it. The current "nickel" coin isn't affected any more than a penny is by one of these magnets.

Dave M.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Life in these Middle Ages is a bitch. Not too long from now we'll be mining asteroids for iron and nickel, making finished goods in space and shipping them down to a nice clean Earth. We could start working toward this on Monday if we had the vision and the will.

19. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Nov 25 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]353979[/snapback]</div>
    Well put.

The Sudbury Nickel plant (and the world-famous Sudbury Nickel) have been there a while.

Further, the use of nickel in autos is not new.

I was trying to calculate how the Prius compared to other cars, in terms of lsb of nickel but didn't get very far. Sart with about 22 lbs of Ni in a Prius battery, consistent with other data suggesting that 24% of the weight of a typical NiMH battery is Ni. Beyond that, the only hard fact I could find is that the largest use of Canadian nickel is in building cars in the US.

So, all cars use nickel. Does the Prius use more nickel than the average US car?

I could not find a hard number, but it was not clear that it does or does not It looks like the average modern car has in the neighborhood of 40 - 50 lbs of nickel in various alloys and plating. I'd guess a fair bit of that is in the exhaust system. Given that the Prius (2900 lbs) weighs less than the typical US passenger vehicle (currently about 3750 lbs), and that the engine (and therefore exhaust) is tiny by current standards, it's not clear that a Prius uses more nickel than the typical conventional US passenger vehicle.

So, not only has that nickel smelter been there a while, cars have been using nickel for a while, and given the weight and configuration of the Prius, it's not even clear that the Prius uses more nickel than the average car. It would take a fair bit of detailed data to demonstrate that on net, a 2900 lb car with a small engine and 22 lbs if Ni in the battery uses more nickel than a 3750 lb converntional modern passenger vehicle.

20. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bh696 @ Nov 23 2006, 10:59 PM) [snapback]353597[/snapback]</div>

Possibly the single stupidest article I've ever read.