1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Founding Partner of Multi-Company Corporation to Install DC Fast Chargers

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by drash, Jul 10, 2024 at 2:46 PM.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Invests in EV Charging Network IONNA to Enhance Charging Access for Customers - Toyota USA Newsroom

"IONNA is a rising joint venture founded by now eight of the world’s biggest automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Stellantis and Toyota."

• IONNA to install 30,000 charge ports in North America
    • Supporting both NACS and CCS charge ports
    • Begin deploying chargers later this year
    • Provide visitors (don't they mean customers) with amenities and convenience
    Now comes the fun part - actual execution of this rather late project. Hopefully they can concentrate on reliability and accessibility so the charging system is seamless. There are about 32,000 publicly available DC Fast Chargers in the US for 2.3 million EVs (~72 EVs/DCFC). NREL estimated they need 182,000 by 2030 so this seems like somebody else will have to pick up some more along the way.

to explore a little further but not much there and it needs a bit of updating:
    IONNA EV Charging Network: 7 Automakers to Charge America

Zythryn and austingreen like this.
  2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Happy to see Toyota joined the other 7 companies.
    It will be interesting to see how they roll that out.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are these being paid for by taxpayers?

4. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They'll have access to the IRA incentives.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That’s what I figured, they’d never do it on their own

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That’s the only way Toyota ever does anything that isn’t motivated by profit

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The question is whether they actually some of their money into it. That would be more than what they did for some hydrogen stations.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would expect in order to become a part of IONNA they had to contribute some funds.

I have no idea how many funds.
    I half expect Toyota to back out the week after the Olympics as they feel the ‘marketing moment’ has passed.

bisco likes this.
  10. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well IONNA will have access to IRA and some state incentives. Its a win-win for Toyota though as they don't have to carve off a separate division and provide funds to hire people, manage projects, pay lawyers to deal with local zoning (or protect them from lawsuits), purchase equipment or hire subcontractors to install, etc.. Everybody provides the same amount of funding but it'll be a drop in the bucket compared to doing it themselves. IONNA will charge for their service and Toyota (and others) will get a percentage of what is charged as well as any future dividends. What would be interesting is what Toyota and others will expect if their names are or will be used for advertising.

To quote from the IONNA website:
    "The network will provide a seamless, vehicle integrated, best-in-class charging experience, based on renewable energy and supported by the quality, reliability, and resources of world-leading automakers.

Focused on customer comfort and charging ease, the stations will be in convenient locations offering canopies wherever possible and amenities such as restrooms, food service and retail operations either nearby or within the same complex. A select number of flagship stations will be equipped with additional amenities, delivering a premier experience designed to showcase the future of charging."

I'd assume this will add to one of the subscription services and become an immediate "favorite" on the Navigation screen.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, the hyperbole

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When they show up here:
    upload_2024-7-11_21-20-27.png

Bob Wilson

13. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Fast charging is cool. Rented a Chevy bolt one time and it was a total failure. I would have bought one of those if it were good. How will this work with 5th gen Prius prime?

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Initially, my Tesla had a 120 kW charge limit . . . it was dodgy. Later, software upgraded it to 178 kW, much better.

My Tesla charging options:
    • Any L2 - limited to 32 A, ~28-30 mi/hr, best at motels or eating a sit-down meal.
    • ChargePoint CCS-1 - typically 60-65 kW, often dual head, shared load. Usable for 'bridging a gap.'
    • SuperCharger V2 - limited to 150 kW, dual-shared load, better.
    • SuperCharger V3 - limited to 250 kW, individual load, easy solution.
    My BMW i3-REx taught CCS-1 chargers are awkward and unreliable. At a peak charge rate of 50 kW, cross country, EV is too slow and expensive. The Range Extender is about 1/4 th the cost per mile and only 2.3 gal. It runs 70 mph at 39 MPG, 24x7. It is comfortable, motorcycle-like, cross country car.

Bob Wilson

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't charge a prime beyond L2.
    most people don't need fast charging

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yet my two BMW i3-REx had fast DC charging although the 50 kW charge rate made cross country driving impractical.
    Those "most people" have their requirements and I have mine. The absence of fast DC charging is for me, a fatal flaw. I prefer a fast DC charing rate of at least 120 kW, what my Tesla initially had. Today it was software upgraded to 178 kW.

Bob Wilson

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, you are not most people. i suspect the bmw battery is larger than prime

18. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I like the idea of an electric car. Haters will say u can't do a road trip w it. Even IF you can't, how often do u do one? Rent a car. Put the big miles on the rental and hand it back dirty... Much better than racking up miles on your car.

It's a mistake to try n change others mind. If they don't like electric cars, it's ok. They don't have to. You have to like what you buy. I love that in Merika we can each do something different. No need to make us all do the same