1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Front End Mask Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Howard, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Howard

Howard New Member

I purchased a Toyota Front End mask for my 2006 Prius and after 3 hours of complete frustration I realized the mask does not fit a 2006 Prius. Part Number PT218-47050.

The problem I had was the bottom clips of the mask could not be attached to the bottom edge of the bumper. What Toyota did for 2006 was add a piece of black plastic along the bottom of the car which over laps the bottom of the bumper. This is like a small spoiler. I was unable to push the clips in-between the bumper and black plastic spoiler.

I called the manufacturer of the spoiler Safari Land at 1-800-347-1200. I spoke to Chris who was extremely nice. She tried to help me, but informed me Toyota did not inform them of the change in the 2006 Prius. She was going to talk to her representatives and try to get the mask redesigned. She told me this could take six months or more.

I would appreciate it if someone could look at their 2004 or 2005 Prius and see if they have a piece of black plastic which over laps the bottom of their bumper. In addition, if you have a 2006 Prius and want a mask, please call 1-800-347-1200. Maybe we can get them to expedite the redesign of the mask.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i guess it's hard for me to tell because my car is all black... could you describe the plastic? is it the same flat plastic color as the trim pieces? what shape is it?

did the top half at least fit on the hood?

hmm.

3. Howard

Howard New Member

The top half did fit on the hood. The plastic is the length of the bumper and held on with 6 bolts. It is about 1 1/2" wide. If you hook the clips for the bra over this piece of plastic the bra no longer covers the complete bottom part of the bumper.

4. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy New Member

I also purchased the front end mask and it does not fit correctly on the 2006. I was able to get the mask to fit by removing the secondary splash guard and the trim piece from under the bumper. It only takes about 10 minutes. I'll put it back on when a redesigned mask is available.

The mask I purchased fits very tight. The parts department at my local dealership suggested letting the mask warm up in the sun. After warming up the mask, I was able to stretch it onto the car.

The parts department did not know anything about the fit problem with the bumper section.

Does Safari Land make the mask for Toyota?

I'll call both Safari and Toyota. Hopefully, Toyota will exchange the old mask with a new one after the design is changed.

5. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

AHA - knew I'd read this somewhere. So you definately can use the old bra, it just requires the removal of a couple nonessential parts? Good to know =)