1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota FTEV

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by mitch672, Jan 15, 2009.

1. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All good. However, on Toyota's own web site they say that the FT-EV is "only a concept."

3. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, they said they plan on releasing the FT-EV around 2012 or so, but who knows, the 2012 prius might have EV by then, making it a moot point.

Mitch

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think not. Not moot, that is. The FT-EV is supposed to have a 50-mile range on pure EV. It seems unlikely that a PHEV Prius would have more than 10 miles of EV range, making them fit very different needs. The FT-EV would be a no-gas car for city use. A PHEV Prius would remain principally a gasoline car, but with the ability to eliminate ICE usage on those short mpg-killing trips.

I'd like to see them build the FT-EV, but I wonder how serious they really are about it. Calling it a concept car says to me that it's something they're pondering, not something they are committed to.