1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Fuel-Cell Logs 2300 Miles In Seven Days, Averages Well-Above 300 Miles Per Tank

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fairbanks-To-Vancouver Along The Alaska highway: Toyota Fuel-Cell Logs 2300 Miles In Seven Days, Averages Well-Above 300 Miles Per Tank
    November 14, 2007 - Los Angeles, CA -
    Toyota Motor Sales (TMS) U.S.A, Inc., revealed a significant achievement in its ongoing hydrogen-hybrid fuel cell development program at a press conference today at the 2007 Los Angeles Auto Show. A recent 2,300 mile trek in a Toyota Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle (FCHV) from Fairbanks, Alaska to Vancouver, British Columbia along the Alaska-Canadian (ALCAN) highway confirmed substantial progress in reliability and durability, cold-weather operation and extended range capability of Toyota's hybrid fuel cell system.

Full article over on HybridChat.

http://www.hybridchat.com/news/toyota-fuel...l-above-300-mpg

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmm. I think I'll sit this one out. Had some comments. I'll keep them to myself and let others determine the direction of the thread. Standing by.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm.. didn't see a FCHV here in Vancouver yet.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sounds good!!. next time i have a million to spend, i'll be picking one up for sure

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 14 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]539649[/snapback]</div>
    Did you happen to see any tanker trucks, with the tank painted red? That would be the hydrogen supply for the FCHV .

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Nov 17 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]541037[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. And I've already seen my fair share of FC vehicles lol. (5 Ford Focus FCs and a Citadel FC bus)

7. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What's the gas tank like on these things? Is it just this enormous gas tank? Or does a hydrogen fuel cell get a tremendous efficiency boost as a result of the way a fuel cell works in an "electric"(?) car?

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MikeSF @ Nov 18 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]541277[/snapback]</div>
    Circular "bins" vs. our squarish fuel tank.

Think oil tanker but smaller :p

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Achieving 300 miles per tank is a significant breakthrough. There's no belittling that. Now all they have to do is get the price from ten million dollars down to a few tens of thousands and create a nation-wide distribution and retail network for the hydrogen.

I have a (toy) fuel-cell car. It really works. The fuel cell is worth about a hundred dollars and has a fraction of the power output of a D cell battery. Maybe ten or twenty thousand fuel cells like this could drive a car. That's one or two million dollars just for the fuel cells.

And from what I hear, fuel cells have a relatively limited life.

And then there was the EV-1, which worked just fine, a decade ago, until GM decided to grab them all back against the owners' wishes and crush them.

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unless there's a pipeline to the sun I haven't heard about, why does everyone ignore the fact that the energy to source the H2 will come PREDOMINANTLY from fossil fuels?

11. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It would be really nice if a Electric version and a FCHV Version of ANYTHING were available. I know which one I would get. It's just frustrating watching the birth of the next dinosaur.

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  13. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 22 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]542806[/snapback]</div>
    Get Cranking!

I'm not kidding

14. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 18 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]541327[/snapback]</div>
    Honda will begin leasing their Clarity FCX fuel cell sedan in 2008 for $600 a month, which includes maintanence and collision insurance. As far a fuel goes, you will be able to get that from their "Home Energy Station" which converts natural gas into hydrogen right next to your driveway.

Honda's Home Hydrogen Fueling Station

15. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In the future Hydrogen will be derived in an electrical process with the electricity generated by Nuclear power.

There are other ways to get hydrogen without burning fossil fuels.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Nov 28 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]545364[/snapback]</div>
    The only way to produce enough energy through nuclear power to meet our transportation needs will be by using breeder reactors. Breeder reactors use the same technology as is used to produce the fissile materials for nuclear weapons. Thus proliferating breeder reactors will create an extreme risk that more and more countries will obtain the technology to produce nuclear weapons.

Not to mention the radioactive waste, which will be deadly for longer than the human race has existed.

This is certainly a way to meet our energy needs, but pretty much dooms the planet to another mass extinction in the relatively near future.

17. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Nov 28 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]545364[/snapback]</div>
    Remember, every time you do a conversion of one energy to another (electricity to hydrogen), there's conversion loss involved.

Why not just use electricity from the start is beyond me.

18. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It is mind boggling to see the following Energy Distribution System:

1) Sun delivers energy to doorstep that.......
    2) Solar panel "doorstep" converts to electricity that.....
    3) Can be shipped around with an infrastructure mostly completed that......
    3) Can be used directly.

being slow rolled compared to:

1) Some finite liquid, gas, or solid fuel that must be burned to.....
    2) Generate Hydrogen, that must be......
    3) Shipped around all over the place with a non-existent infrastructure to be delivered to.....
    4) Very expensive fuel cells......
    5) That generate electricity.

Somewhere deep in my childhood, I remember a Rocky and Bullwinkle episode on squirrel powered cars. I wonder why this comes to mind?

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the reason we convert is supposedly, one day, on the horizon, just around the corner, coming up next, hydrogen will be a way to store more energy than can be currently stored in a battery....

guess they forgot to figure the march of technology which should have us with 10 times the storage technology for batteries by the time fuel cells get into the 5 figure range...

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 28 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]545522[/snapback]</div>
    It's a simple diversion tactic: They have managed to convince people that H2 is "abundant" even though what is abundant is H2O, which contains no energy. Then, they've managed to conceal the astronomical costs of fuel cells. And by this means they've diverted public interest away from electric cars.

I run into many people who appear to be of average intelligence, but who are scientifically illiterate, who actually believe that the "abundance" of hydrogen means that they can just harvest it for little or no cost. Once, when I explained to a woman that hydrogen is a carrier, not a primary source of energy, she acted like I was the crackpot.

Can anybody wonder why, in another thread, I said that Americans are idiots???